• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure hope Fallout 4/Skyrim won't become the gold standard. I kind of liked Skyrim despite it's faults, but New Vegas already beats in all areas. If they do, I'd rather still see Paradox compete with the "smart man's" version then a cookie cutter.

Reactions:
I sure hope Fallout 4/Skyrim won't become the gold standard. I kind of liked Skyrim despite it's faults, but New Vegas already beats in all areas. If they do, I'd rather still see Paradox compete with the "smart man's" version then a cookie cutter.

What about the Witcher series? they manage to combine large worlds with intimate character arcs and sophisticated storytelling, perfect for WOD IMHO.

Smells like a new WoD Vampire Game? Yes please!
But please no isometric PoE klick-game. I enjoyed PoE, but by far i prefer ME2, VtMBl and Dishonored! Especially for WoD Setting.

Also... how about Mages and Werewolfes and Changelings? ;D

Reactions:
strange, title says RPG Survey and it does only speaks about video-game RPGs, nothing about D&D or other fun stuff :( does the word "RPG" changed meaning in the last 15 years?

Reactions:
Odd that this survey never asked about the more recent giants of the genre: Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls. Mass Effect 2 was the only game they asked about that I had actually played. I was a bit dismayed to see them ask about Balder's Gate and PoE, I know a lot of people prefer a return to the 2d isometric, turn-based RPG's out of nostalgia.

But as someone who got into RPG's relatively recently and mostly views more recent AAA 3D real-time entries as the gold-standard I would rather see a more Skyrim/Fallout 4 esque experience.

On the other hand one of the questions involved mod-support, so that's something at least.

There are reasons other than nostalgia for liking turn-based games. Not everybody wants games to be tests of their reflexes. This reminds me of a column I saw over at the CRPG addict:

"In 2003, capitalizing on the success of The Lord of the Rings film series, The Noble Collection issued an official The Lord of the Rings Collector's Chess Set, with pieces so detailed that they were personally approved by the actors in the film. Many sites carry it, and none of them offer this review:

The pieces and board are beautiful, but seriously: chess? If you're so old-fashioned that moving pieces in discrete squares is your thing, I guess you might like this game, but it's hardly likely to appeal to modern players, raised on games like pool, where you can use every point on the game's surface. It lacks the raw energy and visceral first-person action of games like laser-tag and football. Nonetheless, if you grew up in Eastern India during the Gupta Empire of the sixth century and want to relive the glory days of your childhood, this is the game for you.
I have deliberately avoided looking up any reviews of Might & Magic X, so it's entirely possible that I'm setting up a straw man, but I'm willing to bet that the word "retro" appears in the majority of them. I'll bet they talk about its tile-based movement as "old-fashioned" and its turn-based combat as "vintage." I'll bet more than one concludes with the sentiment that the game is likely to appeal mostly to those who grew up playingMight & Magic IV and V. It will be nice, if embarrassing, if I'm wrong.

These reviews--real or imaginary--might be well-intentioned, but they offend me. The idea that any way of constructing a game ever becomes passé offends me. Good game architecture does not exist on some kind of fixed ladder, on which developers only retreat to earlier rungs because they lack the money, or nerve, to reach for the next one. As the years pass, more options become available to them, sure, but a great game doesn't have to use all of those options, any more than Steven Spielberg had to use color in Schindler's List or Michael Hazanavicius had to use sound in The Artist. Both films won the Academy Award for best picture, no one said that the films most appeal to those who grew up in the 1920s."

Reactions:
Couldn't get into that series though I wanted to like it. Imagine playing WoD having the only playable character be a Ventrue male.

Yeah, I couldn't get into the Witcher because of the protagonist, either. And to me it seems that fixed-protagonist games present a problem for replayability, at least if you're replaying for storyline variation. If I want to go back to say, Dragon Age: Origins or Fallout: New Vegas, I'm going back with a new character who makes different choices because he is a different person with different motivations. I can't see replaying a game with a well-defined protagonist unless I've radically changed my mind about what makes him tick, because I'd feel like I had to act out-of-character to make different choices than I did on the first playthrough.

Though of course, it depends on your reasons for replaying a game, and that has changed over time for me. When I was younger, I was much more interest in challenging myself to complete a game in a different way or at harder difficulty levels. But I think the last time I did that was with a Planescape: Torment run where I was trying to minimize my body count. My Nameless One was a thief and recruited only Annah and they basically avoided all combat by sneaking past the enemies. I got as far as Curst: Dungeon having killed only two opponents, IIRC. But these days, I exclusively replay to make different decisions and take on quests that were out-of-character for my previous playthrough. If anything, I'm likely to lower the difficulty on subsequent playthroughs to speed through the tedious trashfights.

Reactions:
So... Where is my high five now, Paradox?

I much prefer RPGs that do not have a fixed protagonist. I like creating my own characters and getting to make my own choice about what role to play in the role playing game. Coming up with a different character is also the main reason why I replay RPGs.

Reactions:
Fixed protagonists have the advantage though in story-detail, since every aspect and decision in the game can be made with one focus point.
In Dragon Age Origins the only value i see in replaying longer than then intro-storys is to try different class-builds.
I tried to play as Elven Mage in a world were elves are hated and mages are feared. But "oh its THE HERO!". I never felt like my character was a hated elf or a feared mage. It just was THE HERO(tm). The same with the Never Winter Nights.
Free charakter creation AND not-generic protagonists AND a good story are difficult to get together. VampiretmBloodlines did it very well though. Especially if one played as Malkavian. You know in EVERY talking encounter that you are a mad Malkavian and this is going to influence every aspect of what you do.

Reactions:
F
Free charakter creation AND not-generic protagonists AND a good story are difficult to get together. VampiretmBloodlines did it very well though. Especially if one played as Malkavian. You know in EVERY talking encounter that you are a mad Malkavian and this is going to influence every aspect of what you do.

Most fixed game protagonists are generic Hollywood action heroes that differ only in where they lie on the brooding to snarky scale anyway.

Sadly true.
The point is: I do not wish to play the generic hero #124912499901, i wish to role play an interesting character with motives and decisions that have impact on the story.

Reactions:
Alright so I did the survey.

Just wanted to know how many of you are kinda tired with random/default non-npc's that have nothing to offer to the immersive world of rpg's when by the 3rd time you talk to them they have already repeated themselves, or that they haven't left a location, or repeated the same pathway? Or that every other non-npc has spoken dialog?

I would like to see some sort of involvement or reaction from talking to them, besides a canned message. Maybe word gets around where you spoke with a non-npc and it starts changing other behaviors. Maybe they run away, maybe they confront you, maybe they get killed by someone you're supposed to chase after, they tell the police or gang member about you. I haven't seen many where a character was approached unless they were a part of a quest line, Mass Effect had a bit of a recurring reporter or a fan, but that was almost quest related. I would still like to see someone approach you because you are good looking or ugly, that they're a fan. Or they want to try and be the hero by trying to take you down for whatever infamy you've reached.

rpg's have otherwise gone along way, but I haven't seen much more in terms of npc immersion. I think this is one of the few ways rpg's need to expand upon.

Side note: what broke V:tM for me was once you got to the 2nd area, if you started doing some of the side quests without visiting one of the main plots you got stuck and couldn't progress any further.

This survey implicitly seems to be conflating character customization in gameplay terms with that in story terms. That's (maybe appropriately) a very D&D way of thinking about things. To me, character gameplay customization is completely irrelevant, but I want to define my character's role in the world.

Reactions:
There are two more questions that should have been added to the survey for each sample.
1. Please rate your overall enjoyment of the game.
2. In terms of replayability, do you intend to play this game again in the future?

As for Baldur's Gate, the only reason I played that at all was because I had played and immensely enjoyed Planescape: Torment. I replayed the hell out of that, but Baldurs Gate left me cold. While it was enjoyable to revisit the Forgotten Realms world I had played genuine role play games in, this simply did not compare in terms of production value to Torment.
The Torment production quality in terms of voice acting, humour and excellent writing is a prime example of what Paradox should be aiming for to ensure an enjoyable play experience.

Reactions:
Replied, though I was somewhat surprised that there was no questions related to endings. Dissapointing ending can quickly ruin any motivation to play the game again, much like what happened to me in Dragon Age 2 and to lesser extent in Mass Effect 3's original ending before the free DLC to expand it. I'd love to replay Dragon Age 2 again to use different companions which were the best part of the game but the disapointing ending (along with other problems DA2 had) ruin that.

I would have liked to see more games, too. I never played Baldur's Gate games when they were originally released and I never got into them after they were released on GOG even though I bought them and tried to play for a bit. I did spend coutnless hours in Neverwinter Nights and it's large collection of third party campaigns and stories though.

Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or similar style games have never managed to hold me. I _might_ like Skyrim but the times I have tried it has always ended up me getting frustrated by it's user interface.

Regarding the replaying of Baldur's Gate II question. The 5+ option for number replays doesn't really properly communicate how often I've replayed that game. I'm somewhere in the middle of my second dozen of playthroughs. I may have a problem when it comes to that game.

I've played more BG1 than BG2.

What about serious CRPG like the Shadowrun series, Mount & Blade series, Wasteland 2 or the Banner Saga series?

I've played more BG1 than BG2.

What about serious CRPG like the Shadowrun series, Mount & Blade series, Wasteland 2 or the Banner Saga series?
Oh Banner saga, I never finished that.

Status
Not open for further replies.