Tabletop Stats for the Bull Shark BSK-MAZ

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hopalong

Sergeant
19 Badges
Apr 24, 2018
sites.google.com
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Hi Folks,

So I (sorta) got the Paradox Twitch to play the weekend video and of course once I saw the Bullshark I decided to recreate it as a TT unit. My first impression was the Clan tech level autocannons seemed a bit much in a 3025 setting (but then we do have -4 weapons in the PC game) and I noticed that the Thumper didn’t carry any ammo, and the ER Meds as well…

I guess it still has the stock games 10 Single Heat Sinks and 3 Doubles added on and that HBS will give it a boost to 3/5 movement like the Urbie. It looks like the HBS design ignores the tonnage for the missing Thumper ammo. And when you try to recreate it you just end up running out of room for stuff.

FyShH96.png

OitXIKj.png

IX6Xqjw.png

The BULL SHARK’s Thumper Cannon is a two-shot Weapon. One would have to show some self-restraint and not use the remaining 18 shots from the Ammo in the Center Torso. : )

I'll be curious to see what the backstory is for the Bull Shark when that info is finally unveiled to the community.

I love reading Mech backstory fluff.

I'll be curious to see what the backstory is for the Bull Shark when that info is finally unveiled to the community.

I love reading Mech backstory fluff.
I’ve seen it referred to as an anchoring component at the conclusion of HEAVY METAL’s mini-Campaign. Which to me seems very fitting indeed. : )

I genuinely wonder why in the design phase they went with Tube Artillery instead of an Arrow IV.
Most likely because Arrow IV is not reintroduced until 3044 and therefore unavailable, and the Thumper Canon is available earlier, albeit experimentally, in 3012.

@Hopalong - have you tried making the entire mech clan? clan XL? clan endo perhaps, etc? Would that make it fit?

I mean, "unknown origin" wolf's dragoons, etc. maybe a derelict / missed jumped clan ship carrying prototype weapons? This can be finagled to fit lore, and would make sense.

EDIT: spelling, lol wrote [Mod edit: language] instead of ship*

Maybe the Minnesota Tribe made a wrong turn at Albuquerque :D...Or are the weapons in the trailer to new for that? :)

Maybe the Minnesota Tribe made a wrong turn at Albuquerque :D...Or are the weapons in the trailer to new for that? :)

Lol, you know the more I think about what Mitch said about how these mini-campaigns strings together, and how Natasha Kerensky and Bounty Hunter is involved with the Dragoons... Perhaps this has to do with bounty hunter *almost* finding the identity of the dragoons? Maybe they followed them to one of their cache's they left when they went to do refits? They had to bring out the big guns, aka clan tech to fend off the Bounty Hunter. Hires the player on a clandestine mission to help, and now you are one of the only few that knows their true origins pre-clan invasion.

That would be interesting.

@Ganimal

So per 1700 - Maximum Tech (1998), Artillery comes in either snub-nosed “Cannon” (basically 1 map/which is what the Bullshark appears to have) or a “full sized” multi-map version. And the Clans don’t seem to have the ‘Mech mounted “Cannon” version (I guess it’s “dishonorable”, the rule book doesn’t say why). Someone with a new rule book can check/update this.

Now it looks like you can build it with Clan tech (with a IS Thumper Cannon) and give it 3/5 movement. The armor is slightly off since the PC game and TT have armor allocation differently. But you can even leave off the Thumper ammo to better match the Bullshark screenshot.

And of course come up with your own back story to make it all fit your game.
pguNg17.png

G9Knw7p.png

From The Current Total Warfare:

Artillery weapons are a common and effective—but not always reliable— source of fire support in the major ground engagements of the BattleTech universe. Unless otherwise noted, the artillery weapons described here follow the same basic game play rules as presented on p. 179 for Artillery Weapons, and may not be fired by any applicable aerospace units (except Arrow IV; see p. 180) unless the units is first landed or its special munitions (see p. 359) rules permit otherwise.

Arrow IV Artillery Missile

Prototype Design and Production: 2593 (Terran Hegemony)
Introduced: 2600 (Terran Hegemony); 2850 (Clans)
Extinct: 2830 (Inner Sphere)
Recovered: 3044 (Capellan Confederation)

Loosely based on short-range ballistic missile technology, the Arrow IV system is a sophisticated, missile-based artillery weapon that debuted during the Age of War. Lost after the last of the Terran Hegemony’s major producers were destroyed in the wake of the Star League’s collapse, the technology was revived by Capellan engineers—armed with the knowledge of the Helm Memory Core—from the handful of mothballed samples they unearthed in the mid-3040s.

Rules Level: Advanced
Available To: BM, IM, CV, SV, AF, CF, SC, DS, MS
Tech Base (Ratings): Both (E/E-F-E)

Game Rules: The Arrow IV Artillery Missile launcher uses the standard rules for Indirect Artillery (see p. 179) and Direct-Fire Artillery (see p. 185), as well as Counter-Battery Fire (see p. 186), but can also employ specialized homing rounds that work in conjunction with friendly Target Acquisition Gear (TAG) systems. The rules for Arrow IV Homing Missile attacks are covered on p. 35

Conventional Artillery (Thumper/Sniper/Long Tom)

Introduced: Pre-spaceflight

Often referred to as “tube artillery” (to differentiate them from missile artillery weapons like the Arrow IV), the conventional artillery pieces of the Succession Wars—the Thumper, Sniper and Long Tom—remain the standard by which most similar weapons are measured. Often employing unguided, unpowered rounds, conventional artillery relies on technology that predates humankind’s first steps among the stars.

Rules Level: Advanced
Available To: BM, IM, CV, SV, BA, SC, DS, MS
Tech Base (Ratings): Both (B/C-C-C)

Game Rules: Thumper, Sniper, Long Tom and BA Tube artillery weapons use the standard rules for Indirect Artillery (see p. 179) and Direct-Fire Artillery (see p. 185), as well as Counter-Battery Fire (see p. 186), and may use a broad range of alternate ammunition loads, including standard, Smoke, Anti-Personnel, Incendiary and Thunder/FASCAM rounds. Note that BA Tube artillery is fi red in squads and damage is multiplied by remaining troopers. Ammunition expenditure is tracked during game play.

Cruise Missile Artillery

R&D Start Date: 3060 (Federated Commonwealth)
Prototype Design and Production: 3065 (Federated Suns)

Though technically a proven, pre-spaceflight concept, cruise missiles faded from the military stage when spacecraft—and capital-scale missile technologies—became prevalent. The modern tactical cruise missile artillery platforms being developed are effectively heavily modified versions of the Arrow IV launch system, but boast much greater range and damage potential at a significant loss in accuracy.

Rules Level: Experimental
Available To: CV, SV, SC, DS, MS
Tech Base (Ratings): Inner Sphere (E/X-X-F)
Game Rules: In game play, Cruise Missile Artillery functions just like artillery systems using standard munitions (see p. 353), with the following exceptions: Cruise Missiles may not deliver any Direct-Fire Artillery attacks (see p. 185).
Cruise Missiles use a different Indirect Flight Time than conventional artillery or Arrow missiles, as indicated in the Indirect Artillery Flight Times Table (see p. 181).
Cruise Missile damage radiates more widely from the impact hex, as indicated in the Artillery Ordnance Table (see p. 184).

Artillery Cannons

R&D Start Date: 3000 (Lyran Commonwealth), 3030 (Clan Wolf)
Prototype Design and Production: 3012 (Lyran Commonwealth),3032 (Clan Wolf)

An alternative approach to artillery weapons, artillery cannons are smaller, snub-nosed versions of the common tube artillery pieces. While useful for area-effect attacks, artillery cannons suffer from a sharp reduction in range compared to their standard cousins, Though well past the prototype stage, artillery cannons have yet to begin consistent, full-scale production.

Rules Level: Experimental
Available To: BM, IM, CV, SV, AF, CF, SC, JS, DS, SS, WS, MS
Tech Base (Ratings): Both (B/X-F-E)

Game Rules: Artillery Cannons are classified as ballistic weapons, rather than artillery weapons, and may not be used to deliver Indirect Artillery attacks. In ground combat, Artillery Cannon attacks may be resolved normally or using the rules for indirect LRM fire (see p. 111, TW), but deliver damage to both the target’s hex and all adjacent hexes in accordance with the standard rules for artillery damage. Under no circumstances do Artillery Cannons apply the –4 immobile target to-hit modifier, regardless of whether the target of the attack is a hex, is shut down or immobile, and so on. Missed shots by Artillery Cannons scatter per standard Artillery rules (see p. 182), but when rolling for scatter distance (from the intended target), divide the die roll result in half (rounding up) to determine the number of hexes the missed shot will scatter. Aerospace units employing Artillery Cannons use them as autocannons, and cannot deliver damage effects into adjacent hexes, regardless of any special munitions used. Artillery Cannons may only use standard Artillery Cannon munitions. As area-effect weapons, Artillery Cannons cannot benefit from the use of a Targeting Computer.

Artillery: All of the Artillery Weapons presented here may be installed on their respective Available Unit types in accordance with the unit’s standard construction rules. BA Tube artillery may only be mounted in the body location. Ammunition for Artillery Weapons must always be purchased in 1-ton lots. During construction, BA Tube artillery ammunition is treated in the same way as BA missile ammunition. BA Tube artillery ammunition is treated in the same way as battle armor missile ammunition, with each two-round clip counting as a shot.

Artillery Cannons: All of the Artillery Cannons presented here may be installed on their respective Available Unit types in accordance with the unit’s standard construction rules (for aerospace units, Artillery Cannons are classified as autocannons and may be mounted as part of an autocannon bay). Ammunition for Artillery Cannons must always be purchased in 1-ton lots. The weight of any Artillery Cannons mounted on a unit does not impact the weight of any Targeting Computer equipment mounted on the same unit.

Page 405 Tactical Operations

Artillery – Thumper weight 15 tons, range 21 boards
Artillery Cannon – Thumper – 10 tons, range 3/4/9/14 (medium)

Last edited:
@Ganimal

So per 1700 - Maximum Tech (1998), Artillery comes in either snub-nosed “Cannon” (basically 1 map/which is what the Bullshark appears to have) or a “full sized” multi-map version. And the Clans don’t seem to have the ‘Mech mounted “Cannon” version (I guess it’s “dishonorable”, the rule book doesn’t say why). Someone with a new rule book can check/update this.

Now it looks like you can build it with Clan tech (with a IS Thumper Cannon) and give it 3/5 movement. The armor is slightly off since the PC game and TT have armor allocation differently. But you can even leave off the Thumper ammo to better match the Bullshark screenshot.

And of course come up with your own back story to make it all fit your game.

G9Knw7p.png

Honestly if it is pure Clantech that make sense. Because mainly the IS LB-10x and UAC/5 are too big to fit on the same arm. :p
The Thumper is kinda 2 use deal so not taking up ammo makes sense.

Honestly if it is pure Clantech that make sense. Because mainly the IS LB-10x and UAC/5 are too big to fit on the same arm. :p
The Thumper is kinda 2 use deal so not taking up ammo makes sense.
Not necessarily since some weapons have had their slot count reduced in this game already.