Surviving Mars - Game was running fine but now it won't start from the Steam client [Linux]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

inkonox

Recruit
7 Badges
Mar 24, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
Description
Game was running fine but now it won't start from the Steam client

Linux

Steam

What is your game version?
Build ID 6420409

Do you have Space Race installed?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Hi there,

I bought the game from Steam and run it from the Steam client.

The game was running fine until beginning of march, but since march 13th I was not able to start it. It say's "Launch" then I click on it, after some seconds it says "Running" but nothing happens. After some seconds it goes back to "Launch". I've already tried following things:

- Reinstall the game
- Install on my second Linux machine at work (don't tell my boss ;)
- Install on Win10 running in VirtualBox
- Tried all Steam compatibility tools including all Proton versions
- Updated Steam
- Run Steamtricks
- Run without internet connection
- Run in Windowed mode

Nothing of this helped. On my Linux I have an Intel GPU but as I said, it worked fine until 2 weeks ago. At work, the PC has an NVidia GPU and doesn't work either. The only think that worked so far is to run it from my wife's Win10-PC and stream it to my Linux box (of course this is no real option for the sake of our marriage).

Some Specs:
Running on Steam version 1616532526
Linux: OpenSuse LEAP 15.2 64bits
Other games on Steam run fine (including the Paradox Cities Skylines game)

I attached the latest log file of Surviving Mars

Can you replicate the issue?
Yes, even on other Linux PCs

Attachments
File(s) attached

Attachments

• MarsSteam-20210313-13.30.55-5d7614e4.log
    1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Update: found other log files in the directory
~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/464920/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Application Data/Surviving Mars/logs/
the file is attached. There it appears that Steam tries to emulate Win7 ?!??! I'm not an expert on that, but it is quite weird for me...
I also wounder why there are two separate folders for log files... ?

Attachments

• MarsSteam.exe-20210321-11.55.57-60521f6a.log
    413 bytes · Views: 0
FYI the game is not supported in Intel video systems in any OS. Can you update that mesa version, and see if there are newer Intel video drivers too?

Hello,
it seems it has not to do with Intel video. As I reported "At work, the PC has an NVidia GPU and doesn't work either". At work the configuration and system is the same, just the PC has a running NVidia GPU. The game does not start either.

At home, Mesa drivers are up to date as well as the Intel video driver.
What about the log file reporting me using Win7? That seems not to be normal, as older log-files do correctly report me using Linux OS...

Ok, I made some trials to find out if it's Proton. And yes, in the "crash" folder, I have found a file reporting the emulation of Win 7 whenever I activated Proton.

Well, the only error so far is logged in the crash file (see attach). A small extract says:
Thread: 256 ""
Module: kernelbase.dll
Address: 00000033:000000007b01193e
Function: COULDN'T FIND OR PARSE MAP FILE
Error: Unknown exception
Remarks: none

So, I hope this can be resolved?

Attachments

• steamuser-MarsSteam.exe-20210325-17.32.48-6058b443.crash.txt
    11,8 KB · Views: 0
it seems it has not to do with Intel video. As I reported "At work, the PC has an NVidia GPU and doesn't work either". At work the configuration and system is the same, just the PC has a running NVidia GPU. The game does not start either.
It might be a different problem on that other machine of course. Regardless, Intel video is unsupported hardware.

In Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

That doesn't show the Intel driver version, but there are certainly newer Mesa versions than the 19.x we see there - IIRC they are up to 21.x. now.

If that doesn't happen, what happens if you run the game's executable on a terminal command line? What output do you see there?

I am not the OP, but I have what appears to be the same issue.

TLDR: It appears the game broken on Ubunut 18.04 because it was was compiled on a linux version more recent than ubuntu 18.04, and thus can't find shared libraries it needs on 18.04.

I tried launching MarsSteam directly from the command line and got the following

Code:
mark@gallifrey:~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Surviving Mars$ ./MarsSteam
./MarsSteam: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I tried 'sudo apt-get install libopenal1' which solved the above problem but immediately led to

Code:
./MarsSteam: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Once again I tried 'sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0' and solved the above issue but immediately led to

Code:
./MarsSteam: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by ./MarsSteam)

A dependency on GLIBC_2.29 is a telltail sign that the executable was compiled on a more recent ubuntu or linux version (ubuntu 18.04 is GLIBC_2.27 I believe). In any case I cannot update the GLIBC version on this machine as it is also a development machine and I don't want to introduce this error into my own software.

Attachments

• steam_system_info.txt
    23,3 KB · Views: 0
solved it! solved it! solved it! solved it! solved it! solved it!
Yahooooo!

The problem was a missing Vulkan library. Your hint to start Steam from the terminal got it.... I noticed an error:
Vulkan missing requested extension 'VK_KHR_surface'
So I searched and there is a separate package for Intel GPU support (package called libvulkan_intel)

Now everything works back... I still don't know how it worked before. I didn't make any big change on my PC, so this library was surely missing before too... anyways I'm so glad now!

Thanks!

Just want to give you a headsup that this has been reported to the Surviving Mars team and they're going to look into fixing this more permanently. Unfortunately it's not something that can be hotfixed so it will take a bit of time.

I had it start on my Win 7 but had not played it yet for the last few months while I took care of my wife post-surgery. I just upgraded
to Win 10 a few days ago and it will not load. always goes back to play on Steam. Tried as Admin, same.
Device name DESKTOP-FFP5CSA
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G840 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM 6.00 GB
Device ID 59E74D4C-5A32-491D-8FAF-87DEE84F71BD
Product ID 00326-03562-61244-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

I had it start on my Win 7 but had not played it yet for the last few months while I took care of my wife post-surgery. I just upgraded
to Win 10 a few days ago and it will not load. always goes back to play on Steam. Tried as Admin, same.
Device name DESKTOP-FFP5CSA
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G840 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM 6.00 GB
Device ID 59E74D4C-5A32-491D-8FAF-87DEE84F71BD
Product ID 00326-03562-61244-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
This is unrelated to the Linux-only problem discussed in this thread, which has in fact been fixed.

Please make your own new thread and include the game logs and a dxdiag.txt , thanks.

I would but since it won't start at all doing dxdiag.txt is impossible. There is nothing to download.

I would but since it won't start at all doing dxdiag.txt is impossible. There is nothing to download.
Dxdiag.exe is a Windows utility, you have it for certain.

Sorry. Was thinking something else. Since it was not starting I did not think uploading this would help. my bad.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    69,3 KB · Views: 0
I'm afraid your machine does not meet the minimum requirements for the game in these areas:
  • Processor: 4th Generation Intel i3 CPU or equivalent
  • Graphics: Intel HD 4600/Geforce 620/Radeon 6450 or equivalent GPUs with 1 GB of video RAM
You have:

- Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G840 @ 2.80GHz
- Intel(R) HD Graphics Dedicated Memory: 32 MB

Presumably the new updates to the game mean that it is stricter about the hardware needing to meet those minimums. Sorry about that! I hope you have access to a machine with supported hardware so you can play on.