• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mizushimo

Sergeant
19 Badges
Apr 6, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
Description
Game freezes without crashing

Mac

Steam

What is your game version?

What DLC do you have installed?
Space Race, Green Planet, Below and Beyond, Stellaris Dome Set, Colony Design Set, Project Laika, In-Dome Buildings Pack

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
After 10 - 30 minutes of play, my game will freeze. The only thing I can still do is scroll through the map using the mouse (directional keys don't work). The only way out of this is to force quit, but the game doesn't actually crash (no crash log associated with this event). The freezing gameplay was happening on this save file before, but it would clear up after a few seconds, it's gradually gotten worse over the last few days until the game freezes completely for an unknown amount of time.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling and returning to an earlier version of the save file.

I am running mods, but all of them have not caused any problems over 300 + sols of game play until this point. I may try a no-mod game, but the problems didn't start happening until my colony got really big (I'm also experiencing some graphic stuttering and video glitching occasionally, especially when switching maps).

the same problem happens with every mod disabled except Silva's Unoffical modpack, I can't open the game without that mod enabled (I'm only using one building from that mod, everything else is disabled)

Can you replicate the issue?
The save freezes right before night falls every single time. (china 313 (4)). The second file was my attempt to start from an earlier version of the save game, but I believe it freezes at the same point

Attachments
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Autosave Sol 313(2).savegame.sav
    53,6 MB · Views: 0
  • China Sol 313 (4).savegame.sav
    53,8 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
What CPU and GPU temperatures are you seeing when this freeze happens? I use Macs Fan Control but there are other apps of course.

And when it freezes can you kill the game in Force Quit then load it again right away okay?

Please attach here the latest log from the game :

~/Library/Application Support/Surviving Mars/logs/

To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/ . You will see a /Application Support/ folder, and inside that /Surviving Mars/ and then a /logs/ folder. Please attach the latest file from in there to here by dropping it on this support ticket, or use the "Attach file" link here.

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

- Force quit works really well, the game closes immediately

- I think my temps are pretty high when it the game freezes, but my mac runs other programs alright while the game is frozen. Here's my temps right after the freeze and five minutes later while the game is still frozen

smfreezecpu1.jpgsmfreezetemp2.jpg
Log is attached and here's the steam info:

Computer Information:
Manufacturer: Apple
Model: MacBookPro11,4
Form Factor: Laptop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770HQ CPU @ 2.20GHz
CPU Family: 0x6
CPU Model: 0x46
CPU Stepping: 0x1
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 2200 Mhz
8 logical processors
4 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Unsupported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Unsupported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
MacOS 11.6.0 (64 bit)

Video Card:
Driver: Intel Iris Pro
Driver Version: 1.2
OpenGL Version: 2.1
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 0 Hz
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0xd26
Revision: 0x8
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 1440 x 900
Desktop Resolution: 1440 x 900
Primary Display Size: 13.03" x 8.11" (15.31" diag)
33.1cm x 20.6cm (38.9cm diag)
Primary VRAM: 0 MB

Memory:
RAM: 16384 Mb

VR Hardware:
VR Headset: None detected

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 239389 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 15378 Mb

Storage:
Number of SSDs: 0
SSD sizes: %s1
Number of HDDs: 0
HDD sizes: %s1

Attachments

• MarsSteam-20211018-11.39.36-615eafe6.log
    1,1 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, temps in the 90s are way too high, they should never get over 80c. And that is with the fans at full blast too!

Note that this game is not supported on Intel video hardware on MacOS, although I doubt that's your problem here.

In the game's display settings, set the framerate cap to say 60 - is that any better?

I tried changing the FPS but got the same result, it freezes at exactly the same point. My framerate on that current game rarely goes above 10 fps (the colony is over 3k, it's transitioning to night and raining..so pretty resource intensive.). I've played over 1500 hours of surviving mars on this computer, so it does work even if it isn't supported. I had a big problem with save corruption and crashing in 2019, but other then that, the game has been pretty stable.

Does B&B make the game more resource intensive? I could only run about 6 DLCs at a time on Cities Skyline before the game started crashing regularly, am I hitting a similar wall with SM?

Does B&B make the game more resource intensive?
I am sure it does, and the new patch that came with it has more new features too. But OTOH we are not seeing other reports like this, on Macs or generally.

With the framerate capped are you still seeing temps over 90c? If so you might need some hardware help on that. I have to clean out the 2 iMacs in my house regularly with compressed air cans to prevent them overheating.

I could only run about 6 DLCs at a time on Cities Skyline before the game started crashing regularly,
Please post in that game's forums on that, I'm sure we can fix that for you.

I am sure it does, and the new patch that came with it has more new features too. But OTOH we are not seeing other reports like this, on Macs or generally.

With the framerate capped are you still seeing temps over 90c? If so you might need some hardware help on that. I have to clean out the 2 iMacs in my house regularly with compressed air cans to prevent them overheating.

Please post in that game's forums on that, I'm sure we can fix that for you.
My computer is starting to get janky with some other games, I don't really know how I'd clean this, it's a macbook pro, I can't exactly take it apart and dust out the inside.

My computer is starting to get janky with some other games, I don't really know how I'd clean this, it's a macbook pro, I can't exactly take it apart and dust out the inside.
I bought a compressed air can and blasted it through the air vents. Big lumps of dust came out and the temps dropped substantially.

Failing that you need to get it to a Mac dealer or the Genius bar I'm afraid!

I have the exact problem (well not exact), but my games freezes when\if\after the Screen Saver comes on
That doesn't actually sound like the exact same issue then!

Have you had your Mac cleaned out, as I described above? What temps are you seeing?

Definitely a different issue then, as the OP was getting temps in the 90s.

I didn't know there were water-cooled Macs!

Please attach here the latest log from the game :

~/Library/Application Support/Surviving Mars/logs/

To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/ . You will see a /Application Support/ folder, and inside that /Surviving Mars/ and then a /logs/ folder. Please attach the latest file from in there to here by dropping it on this support ticket, or use the "Attach file" link here.

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

I have a Windows 11 Lenovo Legion laptop and am seeing the same thing - repeatable freeze after Sol 271 or 280. I posted this a few days ago with my game file.
I have a Windows 10 Digital Storm (built in 2015) and this tracks, freezing after Sol 271. Now two run-throughs in Sol 271. I need to replace my CPU fan / cooler and maybe should do that today.

Overheating doesn't explain it. I have played many hours at a time before without problem. Then suddenly, after Sol 171, it suddenly starts freezing, including when the computer has been off, iturn it on cold, load the game save that I know will freeze almost immediately, and 2 minutes later, it freezes.

Do these freezes happen when the save game file gets up near 50mb? I've seen reports of that.

Can you attach one here please (or post a link to it on Dropbox or wherever), so I can try it locally?

Something went wrong the the attempt to attach it in there, I just get a few error lines when I click on that link.