• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Harain

Captain
95 Badges
Jan 19, 2009
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
Description
Game Freeze at specific time

Windows

Steam

What is your game version?

What DLC do you have installed?
Space Race, Green Planet, Below and Beyond, Stellaris Dome Set, Marsvision Song Contest, Project Laika, In-Dome Buildings Pack

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
The game freezes and all i can do is pan around the map with the mouse
All activity stops and keyboard does not respond
Can alt-tab out and back in, but nothing can be done in game (besides panning with the mouse)
Have to kill the process to leave game (even tried with windowed mode, the X doesn't work - although it stops the mouse panning)

It's my 1st longer game with the newer DLCs, never had this before
It freezes before hour 19 of Sol 75
Reading through similar reports, i can assure you it's not a temperature or hardware issue

Can you replicate the issue?
Load the attached saved game and let the time pass, it always freezes for me after a few seconds in that save

File(s) attached

Attachments

• 1.savegame.sav
    48,9 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
This is just in this one save, is that right? You can start and play other colonies okay?

Once you kill it and exit, can you load it up and continue? Or it freezes at the same spot?

Immediately after the next such crash, Please attach here the latest (ONLY!) game log file, from here:
C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\logs\
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Plus, DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Maybe unrelated, but before this specific freeze, I had the exact same issue after alt-tabbing out and afking: if enough time passed during afk for the monitor to shut down (10 mins in my case), game was frozen in the exact same way, meaning, could pan with the mouse but nothing else worked. But a reload fixed it until this point in that save.

Just realized this now, because when starting a new game this doesn't happen, and i'm sure it didn't at the start of that previous game. No sound only, which is enough to force me to restart, but at least i don't have to kill the process =/

This is just in this one save, is that right? You can start and play other colonies okay?

Once you kill it and exit, can you load it up and continue? Or it freezes at the same spot?

Immediately after the next such crash, Please attach here the latest (ONLY!) game log file, from here:
C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\logs\
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Plus, DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

yes

no, freezes a few seconds at the exact same time

there is no crash, it just freezes and i have to kill the process. The last log in that folder is from a week ago, so it seems none of these created a log
I tried playing that save to catch the exact moment since the last autosave, it's during hour 18 of that Sol

here is the DXDiag

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    86,9 KB · Views: 0
The game creates a log every time you start it. Delete that log file and create the problem again, does it make a new one?

here, but have you tried loading that save? always freezes as soon as you start the time

Attachments

• MarsSteam.exe-20220719-10.18.22-62792d4d.log
    1,9 KB · Views: 0
That log stops really quickly, it doesn't show any save game even loading. Please do that and play until the hang, then send us the log then. Thanks!

I'll try the save when I can.

That log stops really quickly, it doesn't show any save game even loading. Please do that and play until the hang, then send us the log then. Thanks!

I'll try the save when I can.
So,
- deleted all files in Logs folder
- launched game
- loaded save
- started timer until freeze (a couple seconds)
- killed process

this is the log from after (no changes from the freeze, since it doesn't actually crash)

so, started a new game and same thing happened again, this time on Sol 61, different cause, almost same effect

to reproduce:
- load the attached save
- switch view to Perendi BL1 (1st asteroid)
- move around a select anything other than the rocket and notice all works well
- select the rocket and the game instantly freezes (unlike previous freeze, can't even pan the map with the mouse)

Hoping i can get around this by waiting the asteroid out (just a few hours left on it)

Also attached the last log, which again seems not to contain anything useful to this

Attachments

• MarsSteam.exe-20220722-18.13.02-62792d4d.log
  • International Mars Mission Sol 61.savegame.sav
    50,1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Also experience same problem. At a certain point in game, it will freeze, audio still plays, but needs a hard close of app (Alt +F4) not functioning.

Attachments

• MarsSteam.exe-20220816-14.50.44-62792d4d.log
Same problem here.
I'm having a freeze problem. The game sems paused but the play indicator is on and can move arround moving the cursor to the edge of the screen but can't use any keyboard key. Nothing is moving in the game and can't do anything but no error displays and can't find any log anywhere that that sais something about. The windows task manager says all normal, 32% procesor usage (normal), normal memory usage, normal video card usage and no "Not responding" message or anything.
Also, the cursor is no longer the game one but the windows one.

I'm using no mods and all DLCs

Thing goes like this in just this save in this secuence:
1) Load the game
2) A minute or two goes well
3) Same weird freeze

If i load a previus save, the same problem at the same time. Not the same time since load but same in game time.

I atached the save and the files in the log folder. It's like 30s to the fail since load.

Attachments

• India Sol 1.savegame.sav
    42,1 MB · Views: 0
  • backtrace_io.zip
    631 bytes · Views: 0
  • MarsSteam.exe-20220920-14.11.54-62792d4d.log
    1,7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I've started two B&B games with the same problem, one froze without a crash on Sol 71 and the other on Sol 81, there were no crashes. This save also has a problem with underground Colonists running back and forth in an endless loop - leaving the dome and then returning over and over again (I think this behavior is caused by story bits that disable equipment). I have all DLCs except Trains and Green Planet installed in this playthrough.

Attachments

• Russia Sol 80.savegame.sav
    42,7 MB · Views: 0