Surviving Mars - ever since below and beyond game crashes on save and other points

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kelothos

Recruit
Nov 21, 2014
Description
ever since below and beyond game crashes on save and other points

Windows

Steam

What is your game version?

What DLC do you have installed?
Space Race, Green Planet, Below and Beyond, Stellaris Dome Set, Marsvision Song Contest, Colony Design Set, Project Laika, In-Dome Buildings Pack

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
ever since the below and beyond DLC the game is very unstable as the game progresses. once i get about 4 or 5 domes it crashes on saves constantly.

Can you replicate the issue?
yes just by trying to save

Attachments
File(s) attached

Attachments

• MarsSteam.exe-20210915-16.34.34-613b1449.dmp
    6,2 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Sorry, I can't read memory dumps.

Immediately after the next such crash, Please attach here the latest (ONLY!) game log file, from here:
C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\logs\
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Plus, DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Sorry, I can't read memory dumps.

Immediately after the next such crash, Please attach here the latest (ONLY!) game log file, from here:
C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\logs\
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Plus, DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.
Here you go.

Attachments

• MarsSteam.exe-20210915-16.45.47-613b1449.log
    5,8 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    98,7 KB · Views: 0
On a new game?

The suggestions below is for another user, so the drive letters pertain to their setup, just means your install path may differ. But crashing has a universal diagnosing steps...

The user folders in %appdata% is the same, after the <username> of course. The folder is hidden so you may need to toggle that hidden setting in Windows Explorer.
Full path :
Code:
C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\

you can enter the "%appdata%" in Windows Explorer folder path or go the long way round starting from C: in "This PC"
Rename the "Surviving Mars" bits to "OldSurviving Mars" or "CrashedSurviving Mars" or whatever, as long as you know what its called. When you start the game Steam would create a fresh one. But all your previous content would be gone, actually in the other folder that we've renamed.

Make sure the Workshop content is removed totally from Windows after having UNsubscribed.
This folder
Code:
\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\464920
should be empty.

Full thread - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/surviving-mars-game-crashes-reason-unkown.1490518/
Try:
Before you do an uninstall and reinstall, have you test with
  1. unsubscribe from ALL mods on Steam/Paradox
  2. Verify files in the Steam client and start game with fresh user folders. ie. rename the whole "Surviving Mars" folder under %appdata%/Roaming so the game create a fresh clean one and see if it crashes then.

You have updated to the hotfix version 1007874 by now though?

If it crash with fresh user folder after a verification, then go ahead and uninstall and reinstall.
And still start with the fresh user folder first after the reinstall.

If no crash with clean freshly reinstalled files, then test with that crashing Save file (might get the warning if modded save).
If crash again when loading that save, means one of the files in your user data is causing it - either a broken save file or a broken mod file or any number of things. Then can test with an earlier autosave if there's one. But I'd just start anew. When you start a new game, do you choose the settings at random or always the same sponsor, commander, game rules etc etc?

If crashing with a newly started game on a clean reinstall with clean user folders, I think Devs would need to see the log file of that attempt and your DxDiag.
Things that may help further diagnosing:
Is Windows updates current?
Drive containing the user folders and saves have plenty of space?
Drive containing Steam game folders and content still have plenty of space?
Any bad sectors in C or E drive?

it seems i found the issue. even after a complete restart and complete reinstall of the game, if i fly to an asteroid and take a RC transport or a RC explorer if i click on that RC on mars and try and use it, it seems to corrupt the game. if i revert to a save before that it will work without issues. seems i cant use items that were once on a asteroid. fairly easy to repeat but have to get to that point in the game.

Hi,

I'd also like to complain that I'm getting crashes after buying Below and Beyond, but only after I build up in the game significantly and have completed all my research. Memory log is attached.

Attachments

• MarsEpic.exe-20220315-17.32.04-61c0fe47.log
    65,3 KB · Views: 0
Lots of lua errors in there which usually means a game bug ... but if that was so why is everyone not getting it? And because there are mods in use I can't escalate it (even though I'm sure Choggi's mods are not to blame!).

Is there any particular action or even that triggers the crash? Or its random?

Lots of lua errors in there which usually means a game bug ... but if that was so why is everyone not getting it? And because there are mods in use I can't escalate it (even though I'm sure Choggi's mods are not to blame!).

Is there any particular action or even that triggers the crash? Or its random?
I’ve no idea myself. It just started happening after playing this long. Again, it happens when I try to save, but it also seem to happen when I try to land my rockets after they return from a mission (the save was made while several rockets are in mid-flight to a mission).

I’m only using the mods to make it easier to deal with renegades.

I see v10.06, that's a fairly old version of my lib mod.
That was it, Thanks so much for pointing it out! As for why I'm running such an old version, well, it turns out that at some point my game got logged out of Paradox Plaza, and thus the Mod Manager stopped working. After I logged back in the library updated and the problems went away.

(Edit: I just fired up the game again and found that I have been logged out again. Can we make it so the game at least notifies me if I've been logged out of my Paradox account?)