Surveying Hyperlanes and Hyperlane Acess Points as Object

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheDungen

Field Marshal
80 Badges
Jan 31, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
I would like to make a case for that now that we only have hyperlanes they should all be hidden at the start of the game, instead you have to use you science ship to survey the hyperlane entry point to reveal where that hyperlane goes, make it show up on the map and open it up for use. This will slow down the early game landgrab which the devs have stated a desire to do.
It also makes the whole only science vessels can scout make sense, they are essentially charting the hyperlane, there cna even be a thing where surveying the hyperlane makes you traverse it (though I would argue against it since it would slow down system survey a lot).

This also would turn hyperlane connections to actual objects like planets, which means they could have their own set of modifiers or anomalies, say a hyperlane that is slower, or a hyperlane that is faster, or one that is dangerous to use. Or perhaps using a single hyperlane to much may destablize it (remember that episode of TNG where they realized warping space to much in a single place actually made real space deteriorate).

It would also make sense for the start of the game, the "tutorial phase", your system starts surveyed but not it's hyperlane points so the first thing you have to do is realize "where are we were can we go?".

I understand this is a controversial desire so if you decide not to implement it could you make it possible to mod the game to work like this? Essentially you add a thign in defines which says "hyperlanes uncovered" which is yes in the vanilla game (if you decide not to do it) but can be set to off hiding all hyperlanes and allowing modders to mod in their own means to uncovering them.
Making hyperlane acess points actually objects in space (Firefly reference) is something I would argue on on it's own merit. Since it would allow you to do the things like special hyperlanes having their own characteristics regardless of them needing to be surveyed or not.

Upvote 0
It is "unrealistic" that from year 1 you can see every hyper lane, and it'd be nice if your enemies wouldn't know how to traverse your nation without first exploring it, using espionage, or trading.

But a change like this may slow war down too much, and make exploring large galaxies very tedious.

However, Wiz did reply to this idea already, he said they will test it internally.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...l-you-explore-a-system.1053205/#post-23473078

It is "unrealistic" that from year 1 you can see every hyper lane, and it'd be nice if your enemies wouldn't know how to traverse your nation without first exploring it, using espionage, or trading.

But a change like this may slow war down too much, and make exploring large galaxies very tedious.

However, Wiz did reply to this idea already, he said they will test it internally.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...l-you-explore-a-system.1053205/#post-23473078
Tedious? The exploration phase is what's fun.

Also my system is a bit more than just the hyperlanes being hidden, I'm talking about them actually needing to be explored/surveyed by a science ship and are real objects that you can select and which can have modifiers.

Tedious? The exploration phase is what's fun.

Also my system is a bit more than just the hyperlanes being hidden, I'm talking about them actually needing to be explored/surveyed by a science ship and are real objects that you can select and which can have modifiers.

No I get that they could have modifiers and be done really well, and I would like to see something like this in the game. But in a 1000 star map you're probably looking at 1000-3000 more things you have to scan.

If were able to trade and steal hyperlane maps it would make something like this a lot better IMO. Because as much as I do agree that all this would be an awesome addition, I do think it has the potential to become a tedious task.

No I get that they could have modifiers and be done really well, and I would like to see something like this in the game. But in a 1000 star map you're probably looking at 1000-3000 more things you have to scan.
I think you misspelled 1000-3000 more things you get to scan.
Also like I said I am open to allow for easier ways to uncover them later.

If were able to trade and steal hyperlane maps it would make something like this a lot better IMO. Because as much as I do agree that all this would be an awesome addition, I do think it has the potential to become a tedious task.
Except that would be like trading star charts. Does anyone actually do that?