Suggestions to rebalance ideas as Quantity 1st, Economic 2nd has become a bit of a stale multiplayer meta.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hillr005

Corporal
31 Badges
Jun 20, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Hello,

Right now, when you aren't sticking to the ideas meta you are easily punished in a multiplayer context and this leads to less interesting gameplay. By getting Quantity and Economic with their policy, it is is too strong mainly because it gives you a 30% dev cost reduction and 60% more force limit in total.

These idea groups and their policy synergise too well at the start of the game to the point that nothing else is close to being as good for almost all countries. There are of course other bonuses in these groups as the manpower and production efficiency help a lot too, but I don't feel these aspects in the respective groups need any nerfing. They just should give less dev cost reduction and forcelimit when combined if we want to see people pick different things in multiplayer games. I would also suggest buffing a couple of policies linked with Defensive as well as Divine ideas.

Here are some suggestions how I think this could work in practice:

If you were to entirely remove the 10% dev cost reduction from the Agricultural Cultivation policy and replace it with something like a 10% national tax modifier then I think this would be a good move to make it nerfed but still a decent policy since it would still give a nice 10% forcelimit as an administrative policy. Dev cost reductions are rather abundant in the game anyway and I feel it would be nice to make it harder to develop land. It certainly wouldn't kill off tall gameplay by doing this, instead it would increase the options of how you could play tall as well as generally in multiplayer.

The other nerf would be to keep Quantity as it is but end with a 40% force limit modifier rather than 50%.

I still think these would still remain the most popular 2 idea groups to pick despite these nerfs but you wouldn't be so brutally punished for not taking these groups with these changes in a multiplayer setting. These changes are good for colonial countries like Portugal too as you want to be going exploration so it means you aren't missing out as much by going for the idea groups you are meant to with that country.

You could also help to rebalance things by making some of the policies connected with Defensive Ideas stronger. The Spy Discovery Act with Administrative gives 20% Foreign Spy Detection which is honestly a useless modifier which is not made up by the small benefit of -0.1 annual corruption. Changing the Foreign Spy Detection to almost anything else would be an improvement. While not useless in single player, in multiplayer the Public Welfare Act policy giving -1 unrest and -10% stability cost modifier just is not enough. I think the -10% stability cost modifier does especially little in both single and multiplayer contexts. Something like a 10% goods produced modifier or 10% production efficiency bonus could make it far more appealing to use. Since the ramparts manufactory/building isn't seen often, I wonder if by getting defensive ideas you could get a discount on buying those? Or similarly you can have an event where a free one could start being built in your highest fort level province to give you something unique early on that you can't always afford.

Divine ideas are underwhelming, even in late game when it gets a bit better so a buff is needed. The first idea 'Servants of God' just gives +1 yearly Devotion or +0.5 Legitimacy which is not something which is hard to keep at 100 as a theocracy. If you added an extra effect to this idea like -10% infantry cost as people are more willing to die for the state/god so won't mind being paid less money or something it just might make it a bit better. It also ends with underwhelming modifiers, I feel like it could have at least a 20% manpower increase, 15% just makes me feel sad knowing it could be 50% if I had just done Quantity. Divine already has some decent policies though.

I also think you can add in some more events tied to idea groups or policies which add a really interesting extra layer to picking an idea set. That can also work to resolve some balance issues too as some nasty events tied with quantity might put people off always relying on it if it has some perceived risks and some good events in defensive like the ramparts one I mentioned earlier can spice things up quite easily.

I hope these are useful suggestions :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Divine ideas are underwhelming, even in late game when it gets a bit better so a buff is needed. The first idea 'Servants of God' just gives +1 yearly Devotion or +0.5 Legitimacy which is not something which is hard to keep at 100 as a theocracy. If you added an extra effect to this idea like -10% infantry cost as people are more willing to die for the state/god so won't mind being paid less money or something it just might make it a bit better. It also ends with underwhelming modifiers, I feel like it could have at least a 20% manpower increase, 15% just makes me feel sad knowing it could be 50% if I had just done Quantity. Divine already has some decent policies though.
I'm not playing in multiplayer myself, but from games I've watched Divine is already a strong (and popular) pick for late game.
  • -10% fire damage received - good, effectively a half of "Prussian Discipline"
  • -20% leader cost - great, you spend 10 mil points less when rolling generals (for professionalism or just when you need stronger one)
  • +10% morale - good
  • -10% culture conversion - not so great as Religious finisher, but still useful
  • +15% manpower - good, with late game's amount of "flat" manpower even 15% is a lot (of course you should not pick this group before Quantity :)
Sure, ideas #1, #6, and finisher are not impressive, but I believe every idea group in game has "black sheep", and it's fine.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not playing in multiplayer myself, but from games I've watched Divine is already a strong (and popular) pick for late game.
  • -10% fire damage received - good, effectively a half of "Prussian Discipline"
  • -20% leader cost - great, you spend 10 mil points less when rolling generals (for professionalism or just when you need stronger one)
  • +10% morale - good
  • -10% culture conversion - not so great as Religious finisher, but still useful
  • +15% manpower - good, with late game's amount of "flat" manpower even 15% is a lot (of course you should not pick this group before Quantity :)
Sure, ideas #1, #6, and finisher are not impressive, but I believe every idea group in game has "black sheep", and it's fine.
Point taken. I can agree it is reasonable as a late game pick. I would like a small buff to divine in some areas as outlined but I agree it has a use in the current meta in a way that defensive currently doesn't.

It sounds more like a reason to nerf 50% modifier in Quantity. Quantity group is really unmatched in power now.
That seems reasonable, my suggestions was to only nerf the force limit part of the idea group and not the manpower aspect but I'm not against nerfing both. Quantity should give lots of manpower as its unique selling point but I can accept that part is also a bit too much.

Reactions:
That seems reasonable, my suggestions was to only nerf the force limit part of the idea group and not the manpower aspect but I'm not against nerfing both. Quantity should give lots of manpower as its unique selling point but I can accept that part is also a bit too much.
I guess developers' intention behind insane +50% modifier was to allow very small countries to get reasonable amount of manpower. I think it needs to be replaced with something moderate like +25%, plus small flat bonus like +5000. Minors are happy, big guys don't get millions from thin air.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would like a small buff to divine in some areas as outlined but I agree it has a use in the current meta in a way that defensive currently doesn't.
Defensive is situationally used for its +15% morale. Also, -5% of land maintenance is not bad, and +33% reinforce speed can be a lifesaver after heavy losses.

Defensive is situationally used for its +15% morale. Also, -5% of land maintenance is not bad, and +33% reinforce speed can be a lifesaver after heavy losses.
Its not that it isn't useful but when you pair this with poor policies you cant justify it against quantity in a multiplayer context.

Hello,

Right now, when you aren't sticking to the ideas meta you are easily punished in a multiplayer context and this leads to less interesting gameplay. By getting Quantity and Economic with their policy, it is is too strong mainly because it gives you a 30% dev cost reduction and 60% more force limit in total.

These idea groups and their policy synergise too well at the start of the game to the point that nothing else is close to being as good for almost all countries. There are of course other bonuses in these groups as the manpower and production efficiency help a lot too, but I don't feel these aspects in the respective groups need any nerfing. They just should give less dev cost reduction and forcelimit when combined if we want to see people pick different things in multiplayer games. I would also suggest buffing a couple of policies linked with Defensive as well as Divine ideas.

Here are some suggestions how I think this could work in practice:

If you were to entirely remove the 10% dev cost reduction from the Agricultural Cultivation policy and replace it with something like a 10% national tax modifier then I think this would be a good move to make it nerfed but still a decent policy since it would still give a nice 10% forcelimit as an administrative policy. Dev cost reductions are rather abundant in the game anyway and I feel it would be nice to make it harder to develop land. It certainly wouldn't kill off tall gameplay by doing this, instead it would increase the options of how you could play tall as well as generally in multiplayer.

The other nerf would be to keep Quantity as it is but end with a 40% force limit modifier rather than 50%.

I still think these would still remain the most popular 2 idea groups to pick despite these nerfs but you wouldn't be so brutally punished for not taking these groups with these changes in a multiplayer setting. These changes are good for colonial countries like Portugal too as you want to be going exploration so it means you aren't missing out as much by going for the idea groups you are meant to with that country.

You could also help to rebalance things by making some of the policies connected with Defensive Ideas stronger. The Spy Discovery Act with Administrative gives 20% Foreign Spy Detection which is honestly a useless modifier which is not made up by the small benefit of -0.1 annual corruption. Changing the Foreign Spy Detection to almost anything else would be an improvement. While not useless in single player, in multiplayer the Public Welfare Act policy giving -1 unrest and -10% stability cost modifier just is not enough. I think the -10% stability cost modifier does especially little in both single and multiplayer contexts. Something like a 10% goods produced modifier or 10% production efficiency bonus could make it far more appealing to use. Since the ramparts manufactory/building isn't seen often, I wonder if by getting defensive ideas you could get a discount on buying those? Or similarly you can have an event where a free one could start being built in your highest fort level province to give you something unique early on that you can't always afford.

I also think you can add in some more events tied to idea groups or policies which add a really interesting extra layer to picking an idea set. That can also work to resolve some balance issues too as some nasty events tied with quantity might put people off always relying on it if it has some perceived risks and some good events in defensive like the ramparts one I mentioned earlier can spice things up quite easily.

I hope these are useful suggestions :)

I'm wondering if quantity (and offensive) should lose the force limit buff. And possibly all policies too. But keep the manpower. But then national ideas with huge force limit buffs would be much better.

Eco+Quant could just give -10% regiment cost, or +10% goods and -5% regiment cost, or -10% reinforcement cost. Spitballing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think it's thematically correct for Quantity to increase force limit. Perhaps it should be replaced with flat modifier, so that it becomes irrelevant for MP but still very beneficial for small countries.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Removing all -dev cost bonuses from all idea groups and policies (hell, nerf other sources too) would fix like half a dozen separate MP problems.

- All idea groups far more equal
- Expansion (the concept, not the idea group) actually being useful and worth the risk as a major compared to developing.
- No more million men armies fielded by minors by 1600.
- No more wars with more casualties than WW1 in 1600.
- No more 100% peace deals where you can only take 4 provinces because province WS gets inflated.
- Far less lag and army management UI issues from lower army sizes.

Last edited:
Removing all -dev cost bonuses from all idea groups and policies (hell, nerf other sources too) would fix like half a dozen separate MP problems.
See also https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/fixing-inflation-of-development-cost-in-game.1499450/

That said, I think there is nothing criminal in having some dev cost reduction in Economic (it doesn't have to be whopping -20% though). This group will always be wanted in MP because you really need construction cost, interest per annum, land maintenance modifier, production efficiency. Removing dev cost won't make other admin groups more competitive. Also, there should be a group focused on the tall play, and this is it. Also, Economic if often used by AI.

Another part of the problem is that there should be an alternative to development. In the past people used mercenaries, but now they've become too cost-inefficient, and I don't know if this bug was fixed.

- Expansion (the concept, not the idea group) actually being useful and worth the risk as a major compared to developing.
In MP your expansion is limited by presence of other players. Usually there is no choice of expand vs develop, it's expand wherever you are allowed to and then develop.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In MP your expansion is limited by presence of other players. Usually there is no choice of expand vs develop, it's expand wherever you are allowed to and then develop.

Fighting any kind of non-trivial war vs. an AI as a non-minor is almost suicidal in any remotely competitive PvP situation compared to staying at peace and developing/building/banking cash. Just too many wolves ready to tear you apart and development is just so competitive with annexing new lands (to the point where it's often stronger until you've hit certain per-province development caps)

That said, I think there is nothing criminal in having some dev cost reduction in Economic (it doesn't have to be whopping -20% though). This group will always be wanted in MP because you really need construction cost, interest per annum, land maintenance modifier, production efficiency. Removing dev cost won't make other admin groups more competitive. Also, there should be a group focused on the tall play, and this is it. Also, Economic if often used by AI.

I think with all dev cost reduction removed some non-economic admin idea groups are at least somewhat competitive (mostly religious/inno due to policies). But mostly I couldn't care less about comparing within the idea group since all that matters is whether a group is non-mil or mil since that's what the in-game idea group limitation option effectively forces you to split on.

Last edited:
I think the bigger issue is that mana generation is too high. The estate changes, mission trees, plus disinheriting heirs, stepping down ect., has allowed the player too much control over their mana. I think the AI does this as well, making all of their provinces overdeveloped af, especially natives. Without the extra mana, they wouldn't be able to exploit the diplomatic/military dev spam that breaks the game. There's a reason that wasn't done in the past, even though idea groups were the same. There wasn't enough mana to spare. Now there is plenty.

- All idea groups far more equal
- No more million men armies fielded by minors by 1600.
- No more wars with more casualties than WW1 in 1600.
- No more 100% peace deals where you can only take 4 provinces because province WS gets inflated.
- Far less lag and army management UI issues from lower army sizes.

As long as this is multiplayer only. I don't want this in single player because it isn't fun to have a perfectly balance game. That would be boring.

BTW, Quantity
I think the bigger issue is that mana generation is too high. The estate changes, mission trees, plus disinheriting heirs, stepping down ect., has allowed the player too much control over their mana. I think the AI does this as well, making all of their provinces overdeveloped af, especially natives. Without the extra mana, they wouldn't be able to exploit the diplomatic/military dev spam that breaks the game. There's a reason that wasn't done in the past, even though idea groups were the same. There wasn't enough mana to spare. Now there is plenty.
In original game mana generation was low and depended mostly on ruler. This was often criticized as for being too RNG for a strategy game. Now you have more sources of mana and more ways to affect it generation, and this is a good thing.

I can agree that overall amount of available mana became larger because of this changes, and perhaps economic and manpower effects of development need some nerf. However, the biggest problem IMO is that there are a just lot of different dev cost modifiers which can be easily stacked, and when stacked they make development costs for provinces below 10 a total joke. As a result, it becomes more efficient to obtain a bunch of dev 3 provinces with favorable terrain and develop them, then compete for ownership of rich regions and important trade and production centers, which doesn't make a lot of sense.