• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If I may, here a quote from "A Guide to Ascendancy: Pathway to Lichdom"

"A plentiful source of souls is needed as well. These must be wrenched from their owners, as painfully as possible. The higher the degree of torment among your sacrifices, the purer the ascent to lichhood, the greater the power gathered in undeath. You ascend on a glorious stairway of screams and horror!"
I stand corrected. Checked, can't find any sources that say you don't need a bunch of human sacrifices, and most books mentioning how to become a lich say something about killing a whole mess of people. That said, this mod seems to not follow that path. There's no artifact involved, no ability to come back from having your body destroyed, no slow transference into an item and back.

If you really want to be a mass murderer, you can say the gold cost is the price of gathering prisoners to sacrifice.

coming back from death is something the game doesn't really allow. not proof of this mod is ignoring lore so nothing matters.
Like you say you cant bring characters back from death through modding, you can sort of mod around it though by not letting them ever actually be killed, the warhammer mod does it for tomb kings, but the workaround is litterly putting an effect in every single thing that can can cause death in the game and having it make Tomb Kings incapable instead, needless to say it's a lot of work.

Tomb Kings are a lot more important in that mod than liches are in EK so I doubt it will ever be the case for Elder Kings.

In my opinion, a smart lich-to-be will use those that are not likely to be missed, which mean they are not represented characters.
At most, there should be an option to cause depopulation levels or consume slavery modifiers for those who want extra power (with a LOT negetive opinion for this) and maybe an option to sacrifice someone for the transformation (without additional power) in the lore this amount of souls might not be required... But let face it - there are some rulers that might do it, and since it is only optional, it still allow for "small" rituals.

As far as I know Lichs with phylactry do not always resurrect in TES. While it is a common trait in many other places (including D&D) it is not necessarily so in TES.

In fact 'The path of trancendence' state:
"Even the most pedestrian peasant fairy tale has long held that a lich must somehow remain bound to his soul, and that connection most commonly manifests itself as a transference of the spirit into an actual physical object. An urn, a sarcophagus, a crystal phial.... One khajiit fairy tale even tells of a lich who preserved his spirit in the severed head of a Wood elf infant! And these same peasants long comforted themselves with the belief that if they ever had the grave misfortune of facing a lich, they would need only find the vessel containing his spirit form and then destroy it, thus destroying the lich himself. Fools and their folklore! True liches possess no such weakness! Can one of the Sovereign's Worm Eremites be bested by shattering a glass vase? The very notion is so absurd as to be comical. Yes, a Necromancer must transfer his soul into a physical vessel, but once that transference is complete, once the Necromancer has fully metamorphosed into his lich form, the vessel is inconsequential."

Still, the phylactry CAN be important. The stronger it is, the stronger the lich is. So... In four words: THE AMULET OF KINGS.

On a completely side note to the lichdom suggestions, would it be possible to add trait requirements to the advancement in guilds? It would fit ES lore and feeling, and it would make perfect sense. Currently the only time traits come into play is when checking the score to be the head of the guild, which is good enough I guess, but I think it wouldn't hurt to have a requirement, such as "in order to be eligible for master wizard you need to have at least a Tier 3 Mage education". Same could potentially apply to Great Houses in Morrowind, befitting to the theme of each Great House.

And yes, there are cases like Trebonius Artorius proving it's not always about skill, but those should be exceptions, not the rule. Not to mention the fact that even Trebonius was a highly skilled mage nonetheless.

Still, the phylactry CAN be important. The stronger it is, the stronger the lich is. So... In four words: THE AMULET OF KINGS.
Yeah... The Red Diamond, the Amulet of Kings' gem, is a gigantic soul gem that contains all the souls of all Alessian, Cyrodiilic and Septim emperors who wore it, only excluding the Medes and Tharns. It's not the biggest soul gem that existed on Nirn, not by a long shot - that would be the Numidium's power source, the Mantella - but it's supposed to contain some of Akatosh's blood, giving it divine power, which does give credence to the idea that using it to make one a lich would either destroy the subject, or make him an extra powerful lich.

Though it's not necessary to bind one's soul to become a lich in The Elder Scrolls, we know the most powerful ones probably did... namely the Underking and Mannimarco.

Though it's not necessary to bind one's soul to become a lich in The Elder Scrolls, we know the most powerful ones probably did... namely the Underking and Mannimarco.

What about the Wolf Queen Potema? Wasn't she a necromancer turned Lich, what'd she bind her soul with? I never read "The Wolf Queen" book series, so I don't know the exact details about her.

Yeah... The Red Diamond, the Amulet of Kings' gem, is a gigantic soul gem that contains all the souls of all Alessian, Cyrodiilic and Septim emperors who wore it, only excluding the Medes and Tharns. It's not the biggest soul gem that existed on Nirn, not by a long shot - that would be the Numidium's power source, the Mantella - but it's supposed to contain some of Akatosh's blood, giving it divine power, which does give credence to the idea that using it to make one a lich would either destroy the subject, or make him an extra powerful lich.

The Underking is of course evidence that a lich-like state doesn't have to mean horrible deeds done by the lich, but then the Underking doesn't seem to have willingly become what he is.
What about the Wolf Queen Potema? Wasn't she a necromancer turned Lich, what'd she bind her soul with? I never read "The Wolf Queen" book series, so I don't know the exact details about her.
Not a lich, she died and then got resurrected (by necromancers, not on her own accord) as some sort of ghostly undead monstrosity centuries later.

The Underking is of course evidence that a lich-like state doesn't have to mean horrible deeds done by the lich, but then the Underking doesn't seem to have willingly become what he is.
Still, he was powered by the Mantella, in some way.

Huge Jyggalag Fan, so I'm expecting him to not be as irrelevant, considering that he was so OP that other Daedric Princes had to gang up on him. Here are some ideas:
- Besides having Knights of Order as his servants, you can also add Priests of Order (High Learning) or let character become a priest of order since that's what people would be transformed into, if they submitted to Jyggalag.
-Jyggalag's Obelisk - can be a province modifier that gives extra levies (since knights of order spawn from them)
- Since he's a prince of ORDER some personal modifier would make sense to give stewardship and lower revolt risk

Huge Jyggalag Fan, so I'm expecting him to not be as irrelevant, considering that he was so OP that other Daedric Princes had to gang up on him. Here are some ideas:
- Besides having Knights of Order as his servants, you can also add Priests of Order (High Learning) or let character become a priest of order since that's what people would be transformed into, if they submitted to Jyggalag.
-Jyggalag's Obelisk - can be a province modifier that gives extra levies (since knights of order spawn from them)
- Since he's a prince of ORDER some personal modifier would make sense to give stewardship and lower revolt risk

Well, Jyggalag isn't really a thing in the Interregnum. He exists but we don't have any clue when the 2nd Era's Greymarch happened; as of the game's beginning, he could already have turned back into Sheogorath, or not even have split yet, for all we know. And the fact that the 2nd Era is pretty long doesn't help. So unless the devs can implement a Greymarch system that could result in a character mantling Sheogorath, thus splitting him from Jyggalag, I really can't see how it would make sense, lorewise, to have him as a present and active Daedric Prince...

Could you change the way succession law works for newly granted titles? Currently all newly granted titles are under the gavelkind succession and the AI never seems to change that.
Succession laws defaulting like that are a vanilla issue. They often flip to inappropriate laws when granted or conquered if you've got a religion or something else that forces or enables a specific law instead.

I don't mod for this game, so am not exactly aware of the limits and options for modding in CK2, but my suggestions are as follows:

With 3.0 a feature was added that would make your character fatter (or thinner) based on a trait, I assume this is some similar portrait-morph command, and might be usable for other purposes.
-Vampire / Werewolf, and 'Vampire Lord' portrait changes, if possible (Lich additionally)

A 'study dark seekrats' (not seriously named that) option, allows you to look into Lyncanthropy, Vampirism, Necromancy, Lichdom, etc. would (or should) be based on a combination of Religion (i.e. Daedric Cult), Traits (mainly negative traits associated with an immoral character, or otherwise is already one of the above), or perhaps added through a new group, comparable to the Devil Worshipers in the base-game, with this added to the Intrigue panel pertaining to them.

Vampire 'families', functioning similar to Secret-Religion Cults, and allowing you to seed the country sides with your spawn and supporters, with really powerful bonuses associated with being the Patriarch or Matriarch of the associated 'family' or 'clan'.

Equipment that can be purchased (or created for you), based on your rank, and what group you are in. I.e. Fighter's Guild would commission Banded Iron Armor, ready for obtaining for a (relatively) low purchase price, as long as you are above X rank; Mages Guild assembles Robes that increase Magicka Regen; Dark Brotherhood provides armor that increases Plot Power, Weapons that do so and grant other bonuses, etc.

'Dark Resurrection', I encountered a Dragon (that then randomly died of natural causes) in my recent EK play-through, among others, and found that it would be interesting if (assuming possible), characters, once dead, could be resurrected as mindless Thralls that serve and obey.

-Vampire / Werewolf, and 'Vampire Lord' portrait changes, if possible (Lich additionally)
Werewolves already have a special portrait overlay. Liches that decay away from their full state use the undead portrait set.

Equipment that can be purchased (or created for you), based on your rank, and what group you are in. I.e. Fighter's Guild would commission Banded Iron Armor, ready for obtaining for a (relatively) low purchase price, as long as you are above X rank; Mages Guild assembles Robes that increase Magicka Regen; Dark Brotherhood provides armor that increases Plot Power, Weapons that do so and grant other bonuses, etc.
Ranking up within guilds provides equipment artefacts related to that guild.