• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(71982)

Corporal
Mar 17, 2007
Every time i play it happens to me. My factories are running well, obtaining benefits, since suddenly they start to generate losses, and i have to close it.

Is this a bug or do you know a solution?

Thanks in advance

1.) You just got sphered, and the sphere leader is taking all of your factory inputs, or
2.) There are some very large mid-game (1880) resource changes, especially in 1.2, and your factories have no inputs because of that, or
3.) Some factories have very volatile products. Canned food is good when there's a lot of wars, terrible if not. Same with artillery and small arms. Perhaps the world no longer wanted what you were selling? or
4.) Some crime can have very bad effects on factory throughput.

The dynamics of this game are incredible. It is near impossible to play passively as situations like this occur. You have to anticipate industrial changes if you want to play that game. Pretty much true of many aspects of this game. And life!

1.) You just got sphered, and the sphere leader is taking all of your factory inputs, or
2.) There are some very large mid-game (1880) resource changes, especially in 1.2, and your factories have no inputs because of that, or
3.) Some factories have very volatile products. Canned food is good when there's a lot of wars, terrible if not. Same with artillery and small arms. Perhaps the world no longer wanted what you were selling? or
4.) Some crime can have very bad effects on factory throughput.

Option 2 is the correct in my case. Thanks a lot. Is there any magical solution? improving my prestige perhaps? or shall just wait?

If there is a shortage of some good that your factories need, there are some things you can do to fix it.

1) Conquer provinces that generate the resource from uncivs, and maximize railroads.

2) Research economic techs that reduce factory inputs.

3) Improve prestige; however, if you are running the recent beta patch, there are bugs that have screwed up selling/buying priorities. Thus, this may not fix your problem.

4). If the goods in question are manufactured, consider shuffling your industries around and making what you need at home.

5) If you are short fruit, consider ending your dependence on fruit by shifting from wineries and canned food factories to something else. Prior to the 1.3 beta patch, fruit is in such short supply that you can starve for it.

6) If you are short timber, consider conquering parts of China that generate timber.

7) If you are short oil, sphere the Netherlands, conquer their colonial empire, or conquer Abu Dubai and Brunei.

Is there much of a cost difference between goods you produce yourself and goods you buy on the World Market?

In other words, do your factories improve their profitability by relying upon domestically produced inputs, rather than imported ones?

I know tariffs would lower profitability, so that's why I usually don't use them. Also I believe blockades increase the cost of imported goods. And you might not be able to obtain certain scarce goods if you don't produce them yourself (heck, you often cannot get them even if you produce them). Other than that, any difference?

No, there is no price difference unless tariffs are involved (I'm not sure blockades are WAD at the moment). The WM sets the price for goods, and that's what factories pay until a tariff adds to it.

If the buying/selling priorities worked properly in 1.3b, domestic production would be all about securing your own supply. That's why, in the old days of Vic2, I would annex rubber producing states from uncivs or sphere Brazil. I could easily produce enough cars, planes, barrels, and electric gears to strip the WM of rubber. If I let some other GP grab lots of rubber provinces, they would edge me out of those industries because they would use up all the rubber before it hits the WM.

Also, supplying your own needs means that your own RGOs are getting paid to supply factories. This keeps money circulating in your economy, rather than having money leave your economy to prop up someone else. Smaller economies have to specialize in order to succeed, but larger empires can become mostly self-sufficient.

Ok, thanks for that. I used to love creating self-sufficient economies in Victoria I, especially since the ledger made it easy to see how that was working out for you. V2's ledger doesn't help with that and thus you have to use the Trade Screen, which isn't the most intuitive interface.