Duplicate Stellaris - Wells 2.7.2 (60bf); Starbase autofitting breaks on upgrading to Citadel

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

zheldor651

Private
64 Badges
Apr 17, 2015
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Description
Wells 2.7.2 (60bf); Starbase autofitting breaks on upgrading to Citadel

Game Version

What version do you use?
Steam

What expansions do you have installed?
Synthetic Dawn, Utopia, Leviathans Story Pack, Apocalypse, Megacorp, Distant Stars, Ancient Relics, Lithoids, Federations

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
On an ironman playthrough, owned citadels started appearing weaker than they usually are. The cause turned out to be their strange fitting.

The issue is most visible with the 6 bastions present in the save. Out of 24 M-sized gun slots on a bastion-type citadel filled with gun batteries, 14 are filled, 1 of them with an up-to-date module, starting missiled in the G slot. The sensors are outdated as well. Utility slots appear to be in order.

The single trade hub-type citadel displays a similar pattern: two out of 11 guns up to date, outdated missiles, utility slots in order. However, the missiles are tier 2, all of the gun slots are filled, and the sensors are up to date.

The single shipyard-type citadel has 1 out of 11 guns up to date. Gun count, missilies, sensors, and utility slots appear to be in order.

The issue is not found in Start Fortresses.

Attached are the save file with faulty citadels and a screenshot of a Citadel to Star Fortress fitting comparison.

Steps to reproduce the issue.
The issue is present in the provided save. Steps to reproduction are unclear. The game was closed and later continued using resume functionality in the launcher, and the level of tech used in the citadels appears close to that of around resuming. Closing and resuming the game might be necessary in order to reproduce. That, however, is contradicted by the inconsistent tech level of sensors and missiles.

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• ironman.sav
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
  • screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    1,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Did the citadels have enough power to support filling all slots? Most times it is because energy generator level 5 simply is not sufficient and as the game always trys to fill all shield an armor slots, it takes the bigger power need from the weapon slots leading to fewer and weaker weapons. I bet if u would get lvl 6 fe generators (but not lvl 6 shield which take more energy) ur citadel would be filled fine. Maybe even with t6 shield additionally it would be fine because it sometimes doesnt equip those for citadels.

Did the citadels have enough power to support filling all slots? Most times it is because energy generator level 5 simply is not sufficient and as the game always trys to fill all shield an armor slots, it takes the bigger power need from the weapon slots leading to fewer and weaker weapons. I bet if u would get lvl 6 fe generators (but not lvl 6 shield which take more energy) ur citadel would be filled fine. Maybe even with t6 shield additionally it would be fine because it sometimes doesnt equip those for citadels.
Doesn't seem to be this way all the time, or maybe I'm failing the math. However, that's a good point, as the power limit looks close enough to cut into efficiency. Wish stations were included in the ship designer to work around that.

As far as i remember - prior 2.7.2, or even 2.7, Citadels used to have Citadel Core or something like that with 10.000 power output. Looks like Some time ago DEVs broke autofitting for Starbases entierly by removing said Core.

Anyway, bringing up this bug also can become worth soil for asking why the heck we can't customize Starbases like ships?

Reactions:
As far as i remember - prior 2.7.2, or even 2.7, Citadels used to have Citadel Core or something like that with 10.000 power output. Looks like Some time ago DEVs broke autofitting for Starbases entierly by removing said Core.

Anyway, bringing up this bug also can become worth soil for asking why the heck we can't customize Starbases like ships?

Yep, this looks like a rather recent change. IIRC in the initial 2.6 (or was it 2.5?) gun citadels could power themselves.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Didn't test it in 2.8.1 yet, but providing there is nothing about this problem in patchnotes...

PDX, this is literally 5 minutes fix, person above even provided solution and you still cant figure it out, that's absolutely insane.

I can confirm this is still an issue in 2.8.1

The Citadels do not have enough power to keep all slots filled or upgraded. Even without any weapon modules it can't keep all the shields slots upgraded to tier 5, some drop down to tier 4.

If adding additional power generation is too difficult or not desired by devs, another solution would be to reducing the amount of Shield utility slots by at least 4 (save 140x4 power) which would be enough to power any weapon selection and have the remaining shields all be tier 5.

Didn't test it in 2.8.1 yet, but providing there is nothing about this problem in patchnotes...

PDX, this is literally 5 minutes fix, person above even provided solution and you still cant figure it out, that's absolutely insane.

Starbases need some love clearly. But without speaking of the bug... Since the code modification clearly impact the starbases when they added the juggernaut, I can not understand how the coder said to himself "this is good, yup, no problem here doing that"...

Reactions:
If you have not seen it, my mod fix it @Foxosaur ^^ but yeeah a fix ? :D

Reactions:
Not only that, but this bug has been extant since at least 2.6.1, and still no fix. I even did quite a bit of testing here, without any response from the devs: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-starbase-module-empty.1361032/
It appears to be a twofold error, with the most serious error being the lack of power for starbases. However, even if you manually edit the file that determines power output, citadels still won't auto-upgrade to the best version, with seemingly no rhyme nor reason to which ones will and which won't, as seen in aforementioned thread.

If I am going to use my ascension perk on Eternal Vigilance, it would kind of be nice if Bastions worked. Speaking as an unrepentant turtler, please fix this, devs. Since this is technically a thread for an older version, I suppose I'll just keep making threads for each version it occurs in, until it finally gets noticed, as I'm assuming the threads just keep getting ignored for being an old version. Off to make a 2.8.1 bug report, I guess, and perform more testing.

Of course, if they had still let us design Starbase loadout manually, this wouldn't have been as big of a problem. Still don't know why they did that.

Last edited:
@Quackytheduck During my tests about this and my mod which fix the problem, I found a boring thing. With the 2.8.1 BETA with my fix mod, if I launch a game, use the tech command to have all technologies and upgrade my starbase, yup, even if there is 10k energy, the starbase will not have his maximum power.

BUT if launch an other game with any command with the same config, at any moment of my game the starbase will have his maximum power. Maybe, in fact there is something that brake the auto-fitting on starbases when you use the console commands.

EDIT : God no fix since march ?! It's a 5 mins fix... Crazy...

@Quackytheduck During my tests about this and my mod which fix the problem, I found a boring thing. With the 2.8.1 BETA with my fix mod, if I launch a game, use the tech command to have all technologies and upgrade my starbase, yup, even if there is 10k energy, the starbase will not have his maximum power.

BUT if launch an other game with any command with the same config, at any moment of my game the starbase will have his maximum power. Maybe, in fact there is something that brake the auto-fitting on starbases when you use the console commands.

EDIT : God no fix since march ?! It's a 5 mins fix... Crazy...
Well, I forgot there was an "upvote" feature in the bugfix forums that theoretically determine attention paid to issues. So I've upvoted this thread now (it's the little "^" symbol to the right of the original post). I'd advise everyone else who has this problem to do the same.

Also thanks for the info on the console somehow breaking it. I didn't catch that, and you appear to be right. With the mod and without using console commands, it appears to work again. I'll have to do more testing with that too. I wonder how many other problems in the bug reports section were just because console commands break certain things unexpectedly? Frustrating, because console commands are really useful for catching bugs if you don't want to do a whole longplay just to find one bug.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: