Stellaris is using the integrated Intel GPU only instead of the dedicated NVidia GPU

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aepdneds

Colonel
80 Badges
Apr 6, 2017
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Problem see topic.

This is only happening in Stellaris for me, every other game and even the Windows Desktop is using the NVidia card. While playing Stellaris the Intel GPU is hitting 100% while the NVidia card is idling. I already set the global and the Stellaris specific Windows and NVidia graphic settings to high performance. Is anyone else experiencing this?

It is nVidia's job to make that choice, so it is definitely odd that it only affects this one game.

You forced stellaris.exe to "high performance nVidia" option in Manage 3D settings, is that right?

nVidia driver and utilities all up to date with 2021 versions?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi,

thank you for your reply. Drivers and utilities are up to date, Version: 27.21.14.6140

I played in the settings of the Paradox launcher and it seems that this happens only when I use the borderless fullscreen display mode, the windowed and fullscreen modes are using the nVidia card and I can live with these two modes.

Just for the information, it is a two monitor setup, Stellaris on the main screen (2560x1440) and open browser on the second screen (1920x1080), maybe this is a bit messy with the borderless mode on my system.

That's not a common setup but I have seen it before. But I have not seen that borderless only runs on the Intel, that is really odd!

Hi,

I'm getting the same issue, forced stellaris.exe to use the nvidia gpu both in the nvidia control center and in the windows graphics settings, and the launcher does use it but as soon as the actual game starts it falls back to the intel gpu.
I have two monitors but it doesn't seem to make a difference, even running the game on a monitor physically plugged on the nvidia card it's still going back to the intel gpu for 3d.

Stellaris is the only game I've seen this happen for, unfortunately.

Thanks

I've seen this when the two video systems have different output sockets, is that the situation here? What kind of cable are you using?

i have the same issue
and it is definitely an issue with the game

my main monitor is plugged into the nvidia gpu and the secondary monitor into the mainboard/intel gpu

you can check if the game is using the nvidia gpu, by pressing alt+z -> settings, you can set it to show the fps in the corner

running the game in fullscreen makes it use the nvidia gpu
but running in borderless/window mode it is using the intel gpu

i haven't testet all pdx games
EU4 and Stellaris have this issue, but CK3 does use the nvidia gpu in window mode

other non-pdx games that run in borderless window are also using the nvidia gpu, without any problems

Last edited:
That's right. You can see which GPU the game is using in the task manager in advanced mode, there's a column for 3d with GPU0 or GPU1, and in the other tabs you can see which is which.
The monitor I'm using for gaming is physically connected to the nvidia GPU, but it still uses the intel gpu for rendering anyway, and the monitor selection in the launcher doesn't really do anything.

I did find a way to work around it : I made the monitor plugged into the nvidia GPU my main monitor in windows, and rebooted (wasn't working before a reboot). Only then was I able to use borderless windowed and still get the nvidia GPU to render the game.
And same, this only seems to be an issue with this game.

Most games these days have both a monitor and a GPU selector in the options, this would be a great option to have on Stellaris and other PDX games imho, having to fiddle with the windows config isn't great.

it gets even weirder, i plugged out the second monitor started the game and it is using the nvidia gpu
then while the game is running, i plug it back in and the game switched to the intel gpu

and yes i agree, stellaris should have a GPU selector, CK3 has one and it works