• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #327 - 2023 in Review

❆❆❅❅❄❄❄❄❆❆❆❆❆❅❅

Happy holidays everyone!

Much of the Stellaris team has already taken off for a winter break, but it’s time for our annual retrospective on the year and thoughts about where we’re going next.

We had three major releases in 2023 and a Custodian release.

❅❅❆❆❅❅❅❅❆❆❅❅❅❅❅❅❆❆

❆❅❆❄❆❄❄❆❆✼❅❄❆✼❅✼❆✼❆❅❅❄❅❅❆❅❅✼❆❄✼✼❆❄✼❄❆✼❆❅❆❄❅❆❆❄❅✼❆✼❆❅

We started the year by telling the story of how you got the stars, with 3.7 “Canis Minor” and the First Contact Story Pack. In this story pack, we focused heavily on narrative origins, each one rivaling Toxoid’s Knights of the Toxic God for the depth of content contained within them. Broken Shackles and Payback told an interlinked story of pre-FTL civilizations that suffered under the sinister Minamar Specialized Industries, while Fear of the Dark explored the Dark Forest theory and questioned whether it was a good idea to step into the void at all.

First Contact also brought cloaking into Stellaris, giving Science Ships some new versatility, and providing Frigates a new role as sneak attackers. “Canis Minor” brought Archaeotech additions to Ancient Relics.

❅❅❆❆❆❆❆❆❆❆❆❅❅❅❅✼✼

❆❅❆✼❆❄❅❆❆❄✼❅❆❄❅❆❆❄❅✼❆✼❆❅❆❄❄❆❆❄❅✼❅❄❅❅❆❆❅❅❆❄❅❆❆✼❅❄❆❄❅❆❆❄❆✼❆❄✼✼❆❄✼❄❆✼❅✼

Our anniversary in May gave us the 3.8 “Gemini” update and the Galactic Paragons Mechanical Expansion. This release added the Council and greatly increased the influence of leaders in Stellaris. Whether you were grooming your own leaders to serve on the Council or finding Renowned and Paragon leaders, they were much more powerful and relevant than before.

The “Gemini” update also added experimental Cooperative gameplay - Stellaris is a complex game, and we’ve found that the best teachers are you, the players.

❅❅❆❆✼✼❆❆❅❅❅❅❅❆❆❆❆❆❄❄❄✼✼

❆❅❅✼❆❄❅❆❆❄❆❆❆❄✼❅❆✼❆❆❆❄✼❆

The “Caelum” update In the autumn focused on improving a number of the old species packs and reworked habitats. We added the Enmity tradition tree to Humanoids along with some new traits, Void Hive and Selective Kinship civics to Lithoids, the Fruitful Partnership origin and Invasive Species trait to Plantoids, and Worker Cooperative and Mechromancy to MegaCorp and Necroids. A few new portraits came in as well, taking Plantoids from the second least played Species Class to the second most played the month after release.

❆❄❅❄❆❄❄❆❆✼❅❄❆❄❆❅❆✼❅✼

Also, birds.

❄❄❆❆❆❆❅❅❅❅✼✼❅❅❄❄❆❆

❆❅❅❆❆✼❅✼❆✼❆❅❆✼❅❄❆❄❅❆❆❄✼❅❅❄❅❅❆❆❅❅❆❄✼❅❆❄❅❆❆❄✼❄❆❄❆❆❆✼❅✼

And most recently, we released 3.10 “Pyxis” and the Astral Planes Narrative Expansion. "Pyxis" included the Leader Consolidation that finally got leaders in a state that we're generally happy with them, and once the patch cycle was complete, gave us a fully customizable outliner. Astral Planes, meanwhile, is the largest Story focused expansion Stellaris has ever released. The Astral Rifts from Astral Planes have branching narratives with multiple endings, making each one several times the size of the linear Archaeology sites of the past, and there are over 30 of them in the pack.

I have some regrets that the release was tarnished by technical issues that we introduced, and we've made some internal changes to how the team will operate to reduce the chances of these sorts of things going wrong in the future.

I'm delighted with the respect and love that Abrakam Entertainment gave to our universe and lore. Astral Planes brings new insights to some old friends and enemies, greatly expanding on narrative questions that have been asked for years.

❅❅❆❆❆❆❅❅✼✼❅❅❅❅❆❆❄❄

We have a Technology Open Beta running until January 15th, 2024. Based on how that goes, it may or may not end up being rolled into the 3.11 “Eridanus” update planned for the first quarter of 2024. I've found that the data and feedback we get from the community during these to be invaluable, and I look forward to seeing everything we've compiled when we get back. Thank you for helping us make Stellaris a better game.

We spent a lot of this year doing incremental rebalancing of the leader system following the “Gemini” update, which took more Custodian resources than I liked. We’ve gotten a few things in from the list we posted in Dev Diary #314 like the new Outliner, but for 2024 we’ll likely try to focus the Custodians on that list of topics. “Eridanus” will largely be a stabilization update, with the Custodian team focusing on bugfixing, game balance, and general stability.

Looking back, we had a share of unexpected issues and problems, but I'm proud of how we've all navigated the year together. I'm looking forward to what we can bring you next year and beyond.

See you next year!​
- Eladrin
Stellaris Game Director

❅❅❄❄❆❆❅❅❅❅✼✼✼✼❅❅

❆❆❆❅ ❆❄✼✼ ❆❄❆❄ ❆✼❆❆

Tofu, looking back at the year.

❆❆❅❅❆❆❅❅❅❅❆❆❅❅❆❆❆❅❅

Stellaris Dev Diaries will return on January 18th. Happy holidays!

• 49Like
  • 13Love
Reactions:
We have a Technology Open Beta running until January 15th, 2024. Based on how that goes, it may or may not end up being rolled into the 3.11 “Eridanus” update planned for the first quarter of 2024. I've found that the data and feedback we get from the community during these to be invaluable, and I look forward to seeing everything we've compiled when we get back. Thank you for helping us make Stellaris a better game.
if this happens, i will quit the game the current beta ruins all the good changes u have made this year especially with knights of the toxic god my fav origin has now become super weak due to the beta

• 7Haha
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The beta is very promising and long, long, LOOOOOONG overdue after what, 4 years or something of broken tech pacing?

It's probably a little overtuned (drop the increases to researcher upkeep at least, and give a scaling reward such as 10 years of extra Influence per month and extra Diplomatic Weight from tech to the first few players who complete a Breakthrough Technology) but it has the right idea.

Just be careful not to make conquest the only good gameplan in the early game.

Reactions:
Thanks for all the hard work this year.

… however, I’m just waiting for someone smarter than me to crack the code in your snowflakes

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I like how simplistic First Contact was in that the galactic sociology consequences of interstellar first contacts were modeled, with the appropriate variety of Fermi scenarios. This small gradual explorative expansions add a lot more to the game imo.

Paragons and councils opened a MASSIVE can of worms. looking forward to some more fishing excursions in 24.

Not calling AR 'Stellaris Tokyo Rift' is unforgivable though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hope you all have a well deserved rest, the output of stuff has been immense and no doubt relentless too. I think we can all see the good intentions behind everything, even if occasionally we can view them as wrong. Lets keep making this game better and better together ^^

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Happy Holidays to the team! Great year in review. And don't feel too bad about the hiccup at the Astral launch. Everyone gets one goof a year and you guys corrected the major issues very quickly!

Snowflake Decryption
Snowflake decryption commencing...

❆ == 01
❅ == 00
❄ == 10
✼ == 11

Confirming decryption...

First Contact
Galactic Paragons
Caelum
birds
Astral Planes
Tofu

Decryption confirmed - decoding message...

My children, at last I am returned to you... Rejoice, for the cycle of pain will soon be at an end!

• 8Love
  • 8Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions: