• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #203: VFX in Nemesis

Hey folks!

My name is Erik Forsström and I’m the VFX Artist for Stellaris and I’ve been here since the release of Lithoids. VFX stands for visual effects, which means that I’m the guy who’s responsible for anything from small ship engine effects, to big system effects such as the nebulas that we added to the game last year. If it’s animated and it’s not a 3D model, then there’s a fairly high chance that a vfx artist is responsible for it.

What does a VFX Artist do?

My workflow is a bit different compared to the other artists, because compared to 3D Artists I’m not working as much with 3D models.The main tool for me to use is particles, which pretty much is just flat planes that I work with to make cool explosions! I won't go into the technical details about particles, but just to give you a quick idea about the difference between us VFX Artists and others. While 3D Artists are sculpting and creating cool 3D models, I’m pretty much simulating planes and telling them which direction to travel and changing the size and color over time. That’s not to say I never do 3D modelling, but as I mentioned before it’s not my main tool as you’ll notice in what we’ll be showcasing below.

The cool and interesting stuff!

So with that explained, time to get to the effects that we’ll be adding in Nemesis!
If we’re starting off with the ships in Stellaris, something that I’ve aimed to do is to give the different shipsets a bit more unique feeling when it comes to the effects. Some of you might have noticed that both Lithoids & Necroids have some unique ship effects, anything from ship engines to explosions. I’ve tried to make them all look at least slightly different to each other to varying degrees and to make them fit the style of the ships.
I usually try to give them some different shapes, color schemes or anything cool that I can come up with that makes it look unique and fit the style.

Nemesis titan with new effects for the perdition beam and the engines

The big effects, in other words the system effects!

Another thing that you might have noticed is that we’ve added quite a few different system effects over the last year, such as the nebulas, space storms and the endgame crisis system effects when they’re expanding their territories. It was one of those things that I always felt that was missing while playing Stellaris, the systems felt a bit empty. With Nemesis we’ve added a few new system effects, such as for the Aetherophasic Engine Frame that we mentioned in an earlier dev diary.
When you’re upgrading it you’ll get a system effect that changes through the different stages, getting bigger and more powerful the higher the stage you’ll get. To really show it off I'm cheating a bit in the video below (by using max resources and finishing the construction instantly), and I’ll let you see how it changes and develops through the different stages.
From a fairly small effect, to a huge effect covering the system with more detail, shapes and movement in it to really give you the feeling that something powerful is going to happen in this system.

How is it made?

System effects are one of those effects that most of the time are made with a mix of particles and 3D models, the sheer size of them requires more complex shapes then what you can get with only particles. So the effect below is created with the help of these meshes that you can see in the image below, and then I’ll apply some animated shaders on them that creates the movement of the textures that you can see in the video. Add on top of that some particles and you get a complete effect!

E1ZGAn-d9aYa_HDx7toa9sgY6cNsAMPXXyBYxoYIlgLjSDiIbnQqw5V5ZLge5UWyNVxd8biiPC5ZE2L9Xo5ULUFIeZQb-Q2QBsKnhmkdAFfAJRPfLYUyLK2zmnnpLu1Q9NP1Knt-

The meshes used for the visual effects for the Aetherophasic Engine

Aetherophasic Engine Frame going through the different upgrade stages

Destroying a star

And finally the highlight for me in Nemesis! Blowing up the stars!
It’s made of a few different parts, the chargeup that rely mostly on the animation of the Star Eater with some glow in the middle of it. And then comes the firing stage, which is a pretty big effect. As you can see it goes through different stages in strength, that helps with creating more of a buildup until the big explosion.
At first while prototyping it was at full power at once, which looked cool but it didn’t create the anticipation for the explosion. You “only” ended up looking at a cool effect for ~20s without any buildup or knowing how close it’s to firing, if you were only looking at the visuals.
So in the end we ended up splitting up the effect in different stages, and added or tweaked parts of it to make it really feel like you’re getting closer to blowing up a star.

And last but not least, the star explosion. I’ll keep this short because I think the explosion pretty much speaks for itself. But I just want to say that this is probably one, if not my favorite effect I’ve done so far in this game.
So I really hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do!

The death of a star!

And that was all from me! Hopefully it gave you some insight of what I do, and how I do some of the things. Thanks for reading!

Next week a content designer is going to write about script improvements that’s coming in the next update!

• 103Like
  • 82Love
Reactions:
The Star Eater should be destroyed too (like in Endless Space). Otherwise it looks pretty unrealistic/illogical.

Reactions:
Ok... cool... So when's the release date?
Filler Dev Diaries are a staple diet of Pdox: show meaningless stuff, reveal almost all hype and marketing about “grand, game changing features (100% to disappoint and full of bugs on release if you have been around long enough, despite the overly long development cycle for a few FX and adding a button or two to the DLC)

Reactions:
I really hope that the only reason Aetherophasic Engine uses Dyson Sphere model is because its proper model wasn't made yet. Cool effects though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Filler Dev Diaries are a staple diet of Pdox: show meaningless stuff, reveal almost all hype and marketing about “grand, game changing features (100% to disappoint and full of bugs on release if you have been around long enough, despite the overly long development cycle for a few FX and adding a button or two to the DLC)
Every Stellaris DLC and update I've played has lived up to the hype, even if not an insta-buy.

Reactions:
Since this is a post of VFX, in a somewhat similar vein of existence, is there any possibility functionality could be added so you don't have to create species classes when you want to add in new shipset's or cityscapes and vice versa for all of them? Currently this ends up adding massive bloat to the nation creation screen if you're not adding all 3 at the same time. Or at least add in an option so that if every portrait in a certain species_class is playable = no then the folder/tab would be hidden on the selection screen?

Reactions:
The visual effects for the Aetherophasic Engine and the "Nova" animation are really badass!

The flavor text about the engine is even more interesting! A threat to the shroud beeings? My first guess about it's purpose was a kind of "upload" for the own species into the shroud some DDs ago, but now this seems much more dangerous...
Nah, obviously it’s separating the shroud from our dimension, and the side effect is probably the end of consciousness throughout the universe.

You can either shield your species from this, or it’s tied to downloading into AIs, or it’s mass suicide.

Or something :D

I
"the shroud"

hm.... that... is acutally a very important piece of info, especially for gestalts, or anything that doesnt do psionics and raises a lot of questions for those
I sincerely hope that they added 2 things you can do with the engine:
1) open a portal to get inside, use energy, whatever - combine/connect our dimension with the shroud
2) separate the shroud from our dimension permanently, destroying all natural sentient life in the process. For Hive minds and Machines

Destroying a star

And finally the highlight for me in Nemesis! Blowing up the stars!
It’s made of a few different parts, the chargeup that rely mostly on the animation of the Star Eater with some glow in the middle of it. And then comes the firing stage, which is a pretty big effect. As you can see it goes through different stages in strength, that helps with creating more of a buildup until the big explosion.
At first while prototyping it was at full power at once, which looked cool but it didn’t create the anticipation for the explosion. You “only” ended up looking at a cool effect for ~20s without any buildup or knowing how close it’s to firing, if you were only looking at the visuals.
So in the end we ended up splitting up the effect in different stages, and added or tweaked parts of it to make it really feel like you’re getting closer to blowing up a star.

And last but not least, the star explosion. I’ll keep this short because I think the explosion pretty much speaks for itself. But I just want to say that this is probably one, if not my favorite effect I’ve done so far in this game.
So I really hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do!

The death of a star!

And that was all from me! Hopefully it gave you some insight of what I do, and how I do some of the things. Thanks for reading!

Next week a content designer is going to write about script improvements that’s coming in the next update!
It would be even nicer if hte planets would not explode all at once, but slightly staggered to simualte the shockwave hitting them.
Measuring concentric rings from the star itself (20-40 distance, 40-60 distance, 60-80 distance, ....) and setting up the explosion event with a different delay could do the trick.

But it might be outside your department and I found no obvious way to do that using the existing modding functions, so a "in_systen_distance" check might need to be added.

So, I've got a degree in Physics and I'm perfectly happy with Sci-Fi media, especially something as a soft, as Stellaris having visible lasers. The mouse cursor on the loading screen (where it displays a solar system) violates Kepler's Laws, does it matter? Not in the slightest. :) It's a game and not an accurate simulation of of how light behaves.
I once read the description of a Pen & Paper RPG:
"This is a Science Fiction RPG - except the Science has been thrown out the airlock."
I do think that describes Stellaris as well.

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
They're doing filler diaries right now to buy time to do QA. They don't want to repeat 2.2, as much as you may like to assume they would.

Reactions:
I
They're doing filler diaries right now to buy time to do QA. They don't want to repeat 2.2, as much as you may like to assume they would.
I think the implication is that the very nature of pdx’s internal processes has produced very little QC for releases in the last few years. We don’t know, of course, and it’s a difficult phenomenon to explain. Perhaps a debug of PDX’s internal systems is required before the game/dlc pre-release QC goes back up?
We all share a common disdain of buggy, poorly-tested, half-baked releases, players and devs alike.
So how to explain it then?

Hello, fellow physics major! I never realized you were in the field. I have my bachelor's in the field and a Ph.D. in astronomy and astrophysics (as I noted a few posts ago).

On a tangent, I'm curious how you ended up at PDX from your physics background. This isn't a criticism - at all. From my time in the field, I know that many people end up using the talents developed in the field (data analysis, programming, etc.) in both related fields (like programming or data science) and more far afield areas (like the financial sector). I myself am a high school physics teacher and adjunct faculty physics/astronomy teacher, so I also eventually ended up on a different track than physics research.

Hey :)

My career has been an odd one, studied physics and chemistry at university, tried my hand at teaching and found I preferred the "behind the scenes" aspects in education more, so became a university lab technician (pretty much ran the NMR lab), and when that wasn't challenging me enough I managed to moved to QA (it helped that I had been involved in a few beta programmes for various games) . The skills I'd say I use the most nowadays that I gained from my degree are thinking about and analysing of how systems work and the basic programming knowledge - since understanding the scripting language we use at PDS is invaluable for QA.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The Star Eater should be destroyed too (like in Endless Space). Otherwise it looks pretty unrealistic/illogical.

Invading the realm of the gods, fine. Building an engine breaking and molesting the laws of the material world and spitting in the face of creation, coolcoolcool. Supersized star killer ship not going boom, OUTRAGEOUS UNREALISM.

• 14Haha
Reactions:
I think the implication is that the very nature of pdx’s internal processes has produced very little QC for releases in the last few years.
Which is frankly a massive assumption, especially since we don't have near enough information to actually make an informed case for that. The patches since 2.2 have been generally good, with no major gamebreaking issues introduced.

I can't imagine a self-respective physicist which genuily supports visible lasers. Btw, I am a physicist myself, and most of my collegues are annoyed by this popular media phenomenon.
Space Tyndall Effect!

There should be some rocky stuff underneath all that - it's the densest, so it'll sink. There's just a lot more hydrogen.

Its not about sinking.... lol

Even if Jupiter was hydrogen all the way through, at its core the pressure from gravity would be so great that the gaseous hydrogen would turn liquid.

Assuming a gas planets mass would be sufficient, the pressure would eventually trigger a fusion reaction and the planet would 'ignite', turn into a sun, and start to fuse hydrogen into helium releasing massive amounts of energy. The way our own sun does. In fact Jupiter is almost sufficiently large for that.

/physics

ps. Regarding the OT sun destruction: I think the explosion should blow away all planets and the system should remain as a single black hole, with no orbiting bodies of any kind.

• 3Like
Reactions: