• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #154 - UX Design in Stellaris

Hello all, this is Hildor Anduv, the UX Designer on Stellaris. I’ve been with the team since December, and have really enjoyed working on such a great game. With my first Dev Diary I’m going to be sharing how I have been approaching UX Design on Stellaris.

Disclaimer: We're not quite ready to announce our plans just yet (we're saving that for the big stage, PDXCon), so this is going to be more process oriented without delving into specifics about any new feature. If that's not your thing, you can safely give it a miss, but if you're interested in the nuts and bolts of how games are designed and made, let us lift the curtain a bit.

Whiteboarding: The UX Corner
Whiteboards are a great place for getting your ideas out quickly. When whiteboarding I try to get team members from multiple disciplines and rough out ideas, together. It’s a great way to discover gameplay and player needs, as well as find any potential development pitfalls early on.

We wanted to create a permanent space for this, and thus the UX Corner was born. Here we come together and iterate on ideas in real-time as a group. Having the permanent space has helped facilitate conversion and increased cross-discipline communication within the team,.

ijod8Lid9WhNsBPs1t7irsX6Oj2eStn5GmfQrAEOYW6DejLrt5yeDzY58pR-y6JQIRkYDx8i6gfnXtx9bLJvETvV87DwKzP9kH-SfaWvsKcvRls1zffzlpAQdZGAZneSeGyeF_co

Wireframing & Prototyping.
From the whiteboard sketches, I then move onto creating more detailed wireframes, the skeletal mockup of a UI design. Keeping your wireframes simple lets you iterate quickly, but more importantly allows you to nail down what content should be displayed, and how best to lay it out visually for the player.

I typically try to nail down one key screen, and from there I build out a User flow of the entire experience.

When Designing the Archeology UI for Ancient Relics, I had some key pillars I wanted to nail.

• The stories are linked, and I can revisit past chapters for context. (Also experience the great artwork again!)
  • When I come back here, I have a sense of the progress my scientist has made.
  • The challenge of the site feels ‘game-y’.

Once I nailed an overall layout for the Archaeology UI, I then broke it out into a User Flow to capture the full breadth of a player’s journey while excavating a site.

HXhqPAfmMvuAI8JXM6Zuu0FlVFKfbu4lVxH7nJwOBJ_FRGbEz1YGR-8OdqJHh1q6rNNq6EYb4DcMhrtyTOTxCqraq7f_dRRdMnBFZxxcdHnDakrXXe-dIxU-BKPzK7CsO12AxtT5

With the User flow complete I then link it up and create an interactive Prototype. The prototype allows team members to experience what we are trying to create before we set out to develop it. It’s a great low cost way to identify issues in the flow, and fix them here before investing in development.

IomaaXyi4recbbyNf_jM2z1tGRjrD0OkkWiG08OfKh4lSaN3qVh4I7Y1oS3F4-WtCcBbCULNa9FIMxd49JddaKcRzABnQWzfXoCInqzipkHan_HioASIhQ4djhmRvTlQQ-sG0TKM

After we agree on the UX design, we then get to finally create it in game. As you can see below, the design mostly held through to release. The text window was increased to accommodate larger story text, and ‘difficulty’ was changed to ‘breakthrough chance’ to help better understand the ‘die roll mechanic’.

ullUaf8HKlwVIzUWNbKN-J3_m7AAyzmTal-6C_AnRhBaVNB4rEQx8NbYItxI9ivkRi9n8yhxMdYyTDM1bgdel1ocmo97efIGZZZFxAIOBjgy4ObtkyNK20jUUdS2CXIzq-zUnEhZ

User Testing
So, even though the design has now gone through many gates, we must test our designs with players and iterate based on player feedback. Luckily Paradox has a great User Research department, and so we were able to run playtests and get vital feedback which we could respond to before launch.

----------

Well, I hope this was an informative window into how UX Design is done here on Stellaris.

Also, I read the forums and look out for your feedback as well. You all have been very helpful, so thank you for that!

Reactions:
Indeed, i'm not going to buy anything until they fix the game. Also becouse when you buy a DLC doesn't mean that the supposed DLC will be like they presented you in the first place or will work either. For example, at the begining the DLC gave you much more content, more RR and etc. Now you'll be lucky to found the ninites in the L-Cluster (for 5/6 runs i didn't found any trace of nanites and i even have a save to confirm for atleast 1time, but i don't think would be difficoult to have others)... So again, until they finally decide to fix the game (buildings moving around, payedfeaturs missing etc) i won't buy any other DLC, and sure, i'm not exited by another big revelation(=big game breaking). I'm terrified by it.

This, absolutely. There's a rather large amount of people feeling the same way, and not only for those reasons mentionned. I am one of those people who deeply regret buying the last DLC(s). Some of them, I've never been able to see the content (Ex:lategame content since the game gets unplayable before that point).
At least we finally had somekind of an answer for certain issues, after quite sometime that is. We shall see if they keep it to their words. But I am just as scared when it comes to the next big reveal. The game needs to be fixed on many levels before adding anykind of new features, especially big ones and reworks. Except for the pop system wich should be fixed as soon as possible, even more considering it's impacts on the game, gameplay-wise, performance-wise, got the picture.
(hope this message will remain as being censored like last time is never a good feeling :) )

You have noticed that this very answer gives a simple heuristic approach with linear time in it's last paragraph, have you?
You did notice that you specified
Why on earth would you require an algorithm that gives the optimal result? You can make some very quick heuristic algorithms that will deliver a result from the "good enough" category.
The problem being that the local minima that a local search results in probably won't be a result from the "good enough" category.

From a limited mobility perspective here are a few problems and some solutions on how they can be fixed, other ways are of course possible too:

1. Stars are really hard to click compared to provinces in the other games, I can often have like 30 seconds trying to access a system and if this is a multiplayer match during a war, then this might lead to lost ships and systems, so some sort of voronoi province like system would allow you not only to have a larger area to click but see where the area ends.

2. The left hand menu can either lock closed or not lock at all, it is much easier to click it for me when it is opened, but if I accidentally go a few pixels out when trying to push the buttons before coming back to the area where the buttons just were the bar has now closed, making me redo the whole procedure of opening it up and trying to press the right buttons again, perhaps several times. Being able to lock it in either open or closed versions would be a way of solving it.

3. Both outlier objects and number shortcuts can help you find things, usually this comes to a very zoomed in view of a system and/or a menu though, going back often necessitates finding other buttons this can be a problem especially during stressed situations when needing to move a fleet to a system. A simple solution would be alternating between galaxy-, system-view and relevant menus, where every click would bring you to one of the three centered on what you're selecting, but not leaving you in a rabbit hole of menus that will take time to get out of.

4.The previous one dealt with the functions of the outlier and the control groups/number shortcuts, however marking the unknown is not a function of it though for navigation it probably should be, scrolling the view is not as easy for everyone and while some is acceptable for my level, cutting down on it is a good thing. Being able to mark areas of interest regardless if you have discovered it or even even if there is nothing there to return to the view quickly would be a good tool to avoid feeling lost most of the time.

Hoepfully this feedback helps and is in the right place.
2. I almost believed this was already a thing, but then I tried to actually click the lock while it was expanded out, and it just shrunk back to the side. To think the way it was presenting was implying it was already possible, that feels like some serious dropping of the ball.

3. Depends on how you use those features. At least with the Outliner (not outlier- I realize it's only missing the 'n', but that 'n' gives it a very different meaning) a simple right-click snaps the map to the object without having to open its menu/info card/whatever, and won't change zoom levels on you, either, and force you out of the galaxy map, if that's where you were (I'm using right-click on the Outliner pretty much exclusively for any sort of camera work of this kind, because it just works the best in the game's current state) A second right-click, either at the same time or without moving the map, will snap out of galaxy and into the system view, centered on the object.
Unfortunately the numbers (or control groups as they're often called in pretty much every RTS game I've ever played) don't have as much functionality.

So, short answer is that's already a thing, just with distinct ways to click or select the assets to achieve the desired result... But the control groups are lacking in the ability to snap to their associated object without selecting or zooming into system view, and that totally needs to be addressed (though I will admit I barely touch the control groups, anyway). Control groups having more versatility would be a boon for the sorts of people you're speaking for here.

I will note that any windows or menus that are opened can usually be expediently dismissed by hitting the Escape key, though I do realize it's not always near a hand (though if you're using the numbers for the control groups, it generally is).

4. It sounds like what you really want are View Bookmarks, and they would be wise to add them. It's something many other strategy games, especially RTS, already do. I admit I barely use them, but I recognize their value, especially in this context. I just tend to use strategic zoom functions more, when they're available... though I guess that means I'm overexerting on that scroll wheel.

Anyway, just trying to clarify and use more standardized terminology. Two quick things to take-away with my commentary:
- Control Groups need more versatile camera snap and/or locating options. (Outliner already has great per-object functionality for this, for the most part, far as I've seen)
- View Bookmarks should be added to the game's tools for getting around the map.

2. I almost believed this was already a thing, but then I tried to actually click the lock while it was expanded out, and it just shrunk back to the side. To think the way it was presenting was implying it was already possible, that feels like some serious dropping of the ball.

3. Depends on how you use those features. At least with the Outliner (not outlier- I realize it's only missing the 'n', but that 'n' gives it a very different meaning) a simple right-click snaps the map to the object without having to open its menu/info card/whatever, and won't change zoom levels on you, either, and force you out of the galaxy map, if that's where you were (I'm using right-click on the Outliner pretty much exclusively for any sort of camera work of this kind, because it just works the best in the game's current state) A second right-click, either at the same time or without moving the map, will snap out of galaxy and into the system view, centered on the object.
Unfortunately the numbers (or control groups as they're often called in pretty much every RTS game I've ever played) don't have as much functionality.

So, short answer is that's already a thing, just with distinct ways to click or select the assets to achieve the desired result... But the control groups are lacking in the ability to snap to their associated object without selecting or zooming into system view, and that totally needs to be addressed (though I will admit I barely touch the control groups, anyway). Control groups having more versatility would be a boon for the sorts of people you're speaking for here.

I will note that any windows or menus that are opened can usually be expediently dismissed by hitting the Escape key, though I do realize it's not always near a hand (though if you're using the numbers for the control groups, it generally is).

4. It sounds like what you really want are View Bookmarks, and they would be wise to add them. It's something many other strategy games, especially RTS, already do. I admit I barely use them, but I recognize their value, especially in this context. I just tend to use strategic zoom functions more, when they're available... though I guess that means I'm overexerting on that scroll wheel.

Anyway, just trying to clarify and use more standardized terminology. Two quick things to take-away with my commentary:
- Control Groups need more versatile camera snap and/or locating options. (Outliner already has great per-object functionality for this, for the most part, far as I've seen)
- View Bookmarks should be added to the game's tools for getting around the map.
On 2 well I wouldn't put it that harshly, but it seems to indicate some functionality that isn't available yeah.

On 3 It still doesn't cycle though, and testing it it if you're already near enough according to the game it will zoom in on the first click meaning that instead of the desired function of getting a galaxy map focus I'd be zoomed in also one of the issues I need cycling for is the difference between a double click and a single click for me is mostly luck , I don't use the control groups as they didn't fit the bill for what I needed, I just tested them to see if they were but the general rule of thumb when limited mobility is concerned is if you don't have a finger on the button when you need to press it, it could just as well not exist, and for me those keys are usually arrow keys + ctrl, shift and alt in multiplayer. It does remind me though of where that control group functionality was implemented, Black & White, I'm both laughing and feeling so old right now.

Game terminology is not my strong suit as I'm either decades out of date, having the tutorial being over voice chat or just not playing the right games so thank you for clarifying!

Just resurrecting this topic as it's related. There's nothing wrong with the Stellaris UX, but it's coping with a lot more than it had at release especially with all the expansions (Unity, relics, new federation mechanics, titans, collosi, archaeology, L Gates, Leviathans, Marauders - just to name a few) and I'm aware that we've not long had a new top-bar and left hand Navigation Menu. But... if the UX team could be given time to go through stuff like the Leaders screen and maybe just some of the general styling and give stuff a makeover that'd be great.

Dragging and dropping leaders would be cool.

But the new UI stuff coming with relics and Federation (from what I've seen coming out of PDXCON) looks nice. ALSO - any chance we can have a map mode to display precursor borders?