• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Murchadha

Recruit
7 Badges
Mar 20, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Hi all,

I've already put a fair bit of time into Stellaris and am really enjoying it, but there are a couple of mechanics that I'm having trouble with fully understanding....

1> Sector growth and influence. I understand how to set up sectors and that I should set tax to 75%, keep them topped up with Ecredits and minerals and even use them as a bank (to stop my empire reaching mineral and Ecredit capacity), but I'm not sure how influence works (in sectors)? Does the sector grow by itself as pops grow?
Will the sector grow into new space and build/colonize by itself?

2> Federations. From what I gather most PC players advise against federations, but joining one seemed the right thing to do at the time-- I'm playing primarily as a peaceful,democratic,xenophile and needed the allies.

My problem is that I am the only empire building ships towards the federation fleet? The only use of the federation seems to be to form allies and ward off hostile xenophobes, like a defensive pact- Is this right or am i missing something?

Thanks for any advice, :)

For sectors If you have turned on the ability to colonizing they will do this.

Also if u terraform worlds they will settle on them.

You can have them set to ballance focus and respect recourse tiles. Ect. And allow redevelopment they will upgrade them I believe.

They run themselves basically.

Sectors can colonise planets within their sector is enabled. Sectors can be created for free but removing a system from a sector costs 25 influence. I believe it costs 100 influence to delete a sector outright.

Influence has a base per month generation. Declaring other empires rivals generate influence. Pandering to factions and picking cutthroat politics when starting an empire generate influence.

Federations are useful. Consider however as you develop so will the other Federation members. I've seen federation fleets at most 7000k. Sometimes it can be just a battleship.

Sectors can colonise planets within their sector is enabled. Sectors can be created for free but removing a system from a sector costs 25 influence. I believe it costs 100 influence to delete a sector outright.

Influence has a base per month generation. Declaring other empires rivals generate influence. Pandering to factions and picking cutthroat politics when starting an empire generate influence.

Federations are useful. Consider however as you develop so will the other Federation members. I've seen federation fleets at most 7000k. Sometimes it can be just a battleship.

Just a word about letting Sectors colonize. THey will colonize with what they have on hand. So maybe empire wide you have a better pop for a certain habitat, The Sector will try to colonize with maybe worse pops.

Thanks for your replies. My sector influence "sphere" did suddenly bloom and I was able to expand it with the management tools. I think I was just being a bit impatient with the growth, + there are a couple of other empires bordering this particular part of the galaxy so I guess that that might have slowed growth a little.

The Ai did also build a federation fleet and actually came to my aid while I was taking on a pirate Cruiser. They only turned up at the last minute, when the battle was won, but at least they did!

What I'm trying to dabble with now is changing my government ethics from fanatic egalitarian, xenophiles to materialists.

What prompted me to do this is shortly after researching Synthetics, maybe 10 years or less, I started getting messages about how the synthetics were going rouge- disserting their masters and building ships, and then wiping their memories when caught- was one of the messages. I checked my synth pops and noticed that they had the enslaved symbol and were comparatively unhappy.
I checked my Ethos and noticed that the Ethos regarding AI was set to slavery (I cant remember exactly how it was described and I'm currently unable to check) so I presumed this was the reason for rouge incidents and thought I'd better try and change my empire's ways. My empire is one who likes to dabble with genetics and AI so I'm trying to stay true to form and give advanced Ai a voice of their own-I'm pretty sure that I've seen a tech giving synthetics moral codes?

Anyway-I have started backing a faction based on science-Pro AI etc (they were the smallest of 4 factions currently). I have voted in a president from this faction. I have promoted the faction and supressed the other 3. They are growing slowly.

My question: Is there any thing else I can do to help this faction grow and change my government to materialist or have I covered all basses do you think?

Thanks to anyone who bothered to read all of that and thanks for any replies :)

Made me smile when I read that the AI came to help you when you already won the war :D what brave guy's they are :D.
The slogan says ..... YOU CAN COUNT ON YOUR FEDERATION PARTNERSHIP WHEN THE NEED IS HIGH OOOO yes .
Did not yet do that to change from empire ethics in my game so can't help you there but from what I'm reading it seems to go well .
The strange thing is that one of my faction is at 25% happiness for the last 100 years but nothing is happening regards murder revolting uprise whatsoever except that they are less productive perhaps .

Last edited:
Is that faction a minority? It would make much less of an impact then. I would try to either make them happy by checking the factions tab to see what they like or spend some influence and supress them.

I managed to build my science based faction up using edicts, + promotion and suppression of factions, so that it was a majority. The issues with my Synthetics then stopped after I changed my policy regarding AI.

I've moved on. I'm now involved in the struggles of paying for war! :D