Stellaris - [Caelum v3.9.1 (629c)] Orbitals become invisible, provide no bonuses, and cannot be rebuilt

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nthexwn

Private
33 Badges
Dec 11, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Description
[Caelum v3.9.1 (629c)] Orbitals become invisible, provide no bonuses, and cannot be rebuilt

Game Version
Caelum v3.9.1 (629c)

What version do you use?
Steam

What expansions do you have installed?
Synthetic Dawn, Utopia, Leviathans Story Pack, Apocalypse, Megacorp, Distant Stars, Ancient Relics, Lithoids, Federations, Nemesis, Aquatics

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I created this save game on the previous version last month (presumably Gemini v3.8.4 (282d) according to https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Patches, but I can't specifically remember). Since updating to Caelum and loading/migrating my save game I have attempted to build several orbitals in systems with habitats. The construction ships appear to be building them correctly, but the day that they are completed they visually disappear and provide no bonuses to the habitats in that system. All that remains are 3 strange lights which disappear a day later. A reconstruction of the orbital at that location cannot be attempted because the UI claims that another megastructure is already present.

Steps to reproduce the issue.
1.) Load attached save game.
2.) Observe construction of minor orbital around "Black Widow IIIa" by the construction ship "Aerpwane Hurgl-Blopp II" in the "Black Widow" system.
3.) Note that a model of the constructing orbital is present.
4.) Note that the progress on the ship's construction tooltip is at 99% and will complete the next day.
5.) Advance the game by one day.
6.) Note the toast that the minor orbital has been completed.
7.) Note that the construction ship no longer has orders.
8.) Note that the visible model of the minor orbital has disappeared.
9.) Note that 3 lingering lights remain at the location where the constructing orbital model was.
10.) Advance the game by another day.
11.) Note that the 3 lingering lights disappear.
12.) Select the "Black Widow" habitat in the system.
13.) Click on the "Features" button in the middle of the UI.
14.) Hover cursor over the "Orbital Resources" entry on the "Planetary Features" panel.
15.) Note that "Minor Orbitals" is still listed as 0/3.
16.) Note that the habitat is receiving no bonuses from constructed orbitals.
17.) Re-select the "Aerpwane Hurgl-Blopp II" construction ship.
18.) Right click on the "Black Widow IIIa" moon.
19.) Select "Build Megastructure".
20.) Scroll to the bottom of the "Megastructures" list.
21.) Hover cursor over the greyed out entry for "Minor Orbital".
22.) Note the "Cannot build due to existing Megastructure" negative list item.
23.) Have sympathy for me because apparently nobody else is experiencing this bug so it's likely going to get de-prioritized to the bottom of an issue tracker backlog and never get fixed.

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• broken_orbitals_bug_attachments.7z
    57,8 MB · Views: 0
  • broken_orbitals_day_before_construction_annotated.png
    broken_orbitals_day_before_construction_annotated.png
    3,4 MB · Views: 0
  • broken_orbitals_day_of_construction_annotated.png
    broken_orbitals_day_of_construction_annotated.png
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
  • broken_orbitals_lingering_lights_1_annotated.png
    broken_orbitals_lingering_lights_1_annotated.png
    3,4 MB · Views: 0
  • broken_orbitals_lingering_lights_2_annotated.png
    broken_orbitals_lingering_lights_2_annotated.png
    4,1 MB · Views: 0
  • broken_orbitals_lingering_lights_gone_annotated.png
    broken_orbitals_lingering_lights_gone_annotated.png
    3,1 MB · Views: 0
  • broken_orbitals_day_after_construction_annotated.png
    broken_orbitals_day_after_construction_annotated.png
    3,7 MB · Views: 0
  • broken_orbitals_no_rebuild_annotated.png
    broken_orbitals_no_rebuild_annotated.png
    3,7 MB · Views: 0
Got the exact same issue in my game.

Running Caelun v3.9.1 (629c) with an Outliner UI mod.

Started with the "Void Dwellers" origin and then took "Voidborne" Ascention perk. The bug happened whether I tried to build a major or minor orbital. Tried several times with the same disappearing result. Tried it in a system with a regular Habitat and with a freshly constructed Habitat Central Complex. Any Empire focused on Habs is screwed while this bug exists.

I created this save game on the previous version last month (presumably Gemini v3.8.4

The issues you’re encountering are because 3.9 is not compatible with 3.8 (or earlier) save files. You should roll the game back to 3.8.4 to continue save files started on that version.

Started with the "Void Dwellers" origin and then took "Voidborne" Ascention perk.

Your issues are almost certainly caused by mods or such, since empires with the Void Dweller origin cannot take the Voidborne ascension perk in 3.9.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The issues you’re encountering are because 3.9 is not compatible with 3.8 (or earlier) save files. You should roll the game back to 3.8.4 to continue save files started on that version.

Your issues are almost certainly caused by mods or such, since empires with the Void Dweller origin cannot take the Voidborne ascension perk in 3.9.
He stated he has no mods enabled, meaning the bug is either a version mismatch, or something on the Dev's side.

Reactions:
He stated he has no mods enabled, meaning the bug is either a version mismatch, or something on the Dev's side.
Can confirm version mismatching does not matter, started a new game with void dwellers, **NO MODS EVEN INSTALLED**, major and minor orbitals all vanish after a day.

Description
[Caelum v3.9.1 (629c)] Orbitals become invisible, provide no bonuses, and cannot be rebuilt

Game Version
Caelum v3.9.1 (629c)

What version do you use?
Steam

What expansions do you have installed?
Synthetic Dawn, Utopia, Leviathans Story Pack, Apocalypse, Megacorp, Distant Stars, Ancient Relics, Lithoids, Federations, Nemesis, Aquatics

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I created this save game on the previous version last month (presumably Gemini v3.8.4 (282d) according to https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Patches, but I can't specifically remember). Since updating to Caelum and loading/migrating my save game I have attempted to build several orbitals in systems with habitats. The construction ships appear to be building them correctly, but the day that they are completed they visually disappear and provide no bonuses to the habitats in that system. All that remains are 3 strange lights which disappear a day later. A reconstruction of the orbital at that location cannot be attempted because the UI claims that another megastructure is already present.

Steps to reproduce the issue.
1.) Load attached save game.
2.) Observe construction of minor orbital around "Black Widow IIIa" by the construction ship "Aerpwane Hurgl-Blopp II" in the "Black Widow" system.
3.) Note that a model of the constructing orbital is present.
4.) Note that the progress on the ship's construction tooltip is at 99% and will complete the next day.
5.) Advance the game by one day.
6.) Note the toast that the minor orbital has been completed.
7.) Note that the construction ship no longer has orders.
8.) Note that the visible model of the minor orbital has disappeared.
9.) Note that 3 lingering lights remain at the location where the constructing orbital model was.
10.) Advance the game by another day.
11.) Note that the 3 lingering lights disappear.
12.) Select the "Black Widow" habitat in the system.
13.) Click on the "Features" button in the middle of the UI.
14.) Hover cursor over the "Orbital Resources" entry on the "Planetary Features" panel.
15.) Note that "Minor Orbitals" is still listed as 0/3.
16.) Note that the habitat is receiving no bonuses from constructed orbitals.
17.) Re-select the "Aerpwane Hurgl-Blopp II" construction ship.
18.) Right click on the "Black Widow IIIa" moon.
19.) Select "Build Megastructure".
20.) Scroll to the bottom of the "Megastructures" list.
21.) Hover cursor over the greyed out entry for "Minor Orbital".
22.) Note the "Cannot build due to existing Megastructure" negative list item.
23.) Have sympathy for me because apparently nobody else is experiencing this bug so it's likely going to get de-prioritized to the bottom of an issue tracker backlog and never get fixed.

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached
I may have found a solution!
Delete all saves (just to be safe). Go in to new game, reclick the origin and replace/save over the design. This seems to 'update' the empire it seems...

Edit: This stopped working after I close the game I started playing again after a few hour.

Last edited:
Although this thread is probably dead, I'll just add my small update. I believe the issue for me was a version mismatch. Once I started a new empire, all the Habs stuff worked just fine. There should really be a warning in-game when loading a save running with a newer version of Stellaris. Especially when starting directly from the Launcher instead of going through the main menu.

Since everything auto-updates, it's not really user friendly to expect people to just implicitly know that the new version that got installed will break their current play through.