Stellaris - Asteroid Event Finishes Immediately

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Idle America

Lt. General
54 Badges
May 27, 2013
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Island Bound
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Description
Asteroid Event Finishes Immediately

Game Version

What version do you use?
Steam

What expansions do you have installed?
Synthetic Dawn, Utopia, Leviathans Story Pack, Apocalypse, Megacorp, Distant Stars, Ancient Relics, Lithoids, Federations, Nemesis

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Received a report that an asteroid was about to hit one of the primitive worlds I was surveying. Every time this has happened before, it's taken hundreds of days. My fleet was less than 200 days away, no problem. A few days later, the asteroid magically teleported to the planet, ending the event and wiping it out. No timer, no warning, nothing. Just instant failure.

UPDATE: It happened again, but this time, I got to watch it: the asteroid moved faster than I've ever seen, hitting the planet within a month. Is this intentional? Do I just have to keep a large fleet nearby all of my planets and colonies from now on?

UPDATE: Paradox has stated this will be fixed in 3.6 Orion!

Steps to reproduce the issue.

Upload Attachment

File(s) attached

Attachments

• ironman.sav
    1,9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Last time I played, I had it occur once, and I had enough time to destroy the asteroid. I'm loathe to say it's definitely fixed on the basis of (my) one occurrence, but if others say the same, then I guess it is resolved.
Spoke too soon. Just had it occur, in a fully-updated game, and it took 30 days from creation to impact.

Definitely still bugged.

Spoke too soon. Just had it occur, in a fully-updated game, and it took 30 days from creation to impact.

Definitely still bugged.
Judging by the latest Dev Diary, I think they know about it and are holding off on fixing it until the "Situations" update.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I spent some time looking into this and it's not a simple timer change. I can't see significant changes in the colony.180 (and related) events.

The only other change I can see is that the "NAME_Asteroid" ship_design gained a hyperdrive component in 3.1 - which does seem to correlate when this bug was reported. It appears that it gained the hyperdrive in order to be usable with the Reanimators perk reanimating the Rock Brain anomaly asteroid (new event anomaly.81).

Possible that this somehow gave the asteroid super-speed when it gained a hyperdrive - it's supposed to putter along at a nice, sedate maximum speed of 1 based on its ship_size.

You mean that the games could need two different ship sizes, one for the Reanimators, one for the colony/primitive events?

Why isn't this thread merged with the other one anyway?

You mean that the games could need two different ship sizes, one for the Reanimators, one for the colony/primitive events?

While this is a solution, I'm not sure if it's the best solution. It might be a bug as a result of some game-engine code interpreting ship_sizes with hyperdrives but without thrusters. PDX is in a better position to know that than I am.

Why isn't this thread merged with the other one anyway?

No idea, I wasn't aware of another thread about this. And as far as I know, the PDX forums don't have any sort of "merge posts" functionality.

As of 3.4.4, the issue still persists. Asteroids move far too fast, and will change course and slow to a crawl in order to attack defense platforms.

One of the recent dev diary said that they plan to add ignore_combat_movement = yes to the asteroid "ship" to fix its weird behavior. Hopefully this will be fixed in autumn.

Reactions:
Had this happen twice as well. The reason the asteroid slowed down for me was because it was attacked by the outpost and entered combat.

Had this happen twice as well. The reason the asteroid slowed down for me was because it was attacked by the outpost and entered combat.
Can you confirm by experience that with the later speed (presumably the minimal 1 speed unit written in the file), you would have had enough time to send in corvettes, or build defense platforms, or upgrade the base and build one corvette in the system, even if it had spawned in a direction opposite to the starbase (still at 75 space units from the targeted planet)?
Also, do you use any mod that have a cruise speed very different from combat speed for usual military ships?

Can you confirm by experience that with the later speed (presumably the minimal 1 speed unit written in the file), you would have had enough time to send in corvettes, or build defense platforms, or upgrade the base and build one corvette in the system, even if it had spawned in a direction opposite to the starbase (still at 75 space units from the targeted planet)?
Also, do you use any mod that have a cruise speed very different from combat speed for usual military ships?
I use no mods that change anything in the game beyond Flag Colors as I'm still achievement hunting. And when the asteroid enters combat it slows down dramatically. So yes I was able to get my fleet there in time.

This entire thing SEEMS to be caused by the asteroid keeping up the speed it "spawns in" initially rather than slowing down. I've seen them warp in before and they're hella fast. When they enter combat however their speed seems to be reduced by a huge margin to normal in combat speed. So a planet farther out in the system out of range of the outpost might just get pasted very very very quickly.

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, it ought to have a speed of 1, literally, but several players have speculated that the fact it was tagged as a military ship gave it hyperdrives that would cause the error. I too witnessed the bug, and as I play with Real Space (SiS Hard), I can only say that it spawns circa 1 month to its target, that is one inter-orbital distance, and most of the time out of range of an outpost's missiles.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you for the answer.

Yes, it ought to have a speed of 1, literally, but several players have speculated that the fact it was tagged as a military ship gave it hyperdrives that would cause the error. I too witnessed the bug, and as I play with Real Space (SiS Hard), I can only say that it spawns circa 1 month to its target, that is one inter-orbital distance, and most of the time out of range of an outpost's missiles.
Yep, really seems to depend. If the target is within outpost range it will enter combat and it's speed become so glacial often times the outpost can solo it.