Stellaris - [3.3.0 Beta][b02d] District Empire Size Define not working (even for 100% Vanilla).

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IndexLP

Corporal
99 Badges
Sep 6, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
Description
[3.3.0 Beta][b02d] District Empire Size Define not working (even for 100% Vanilla).

Game Version
3.3.0 Beta

What version do you use?
Steam

What expansions do you have installed?

Do you have mods enabled?

No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
The 00_Defines.txt file reports that districts should contribute 0.5 empire size per district:
EMPIRE_SIZE_FROM_DISTRICTS = 0.5

However, districts are still contributing 1 empire size per district anyways, see screenshot.

Additionally I have tested on a modded version with the only mod being one that just changes the empire size defines (this report is based on 0 installed mods however, modded case is provided just to illustrate the problem still exists when the defined values are changed) I did this to see if changing it did anything and can confirm changing the value for EMPIRE_SIZE_FROM_DISTRICTS does NOT change the calculation, it still uses 1 for district size.

As an additional minor error Pop contribution is not quite correct but is close (just a little too small) seems to be a rounding error of sorts. This happens even if the value is modded and the amount it is wrong by remains similar (~1-4%).

Steps to reproduce the issue.
1. Play the game.
2. Look at empire size tooltip.
3. See that it is not calculating correct.

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• unmoddedBugReport.sav
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
  • unmoddedBugReport.png
    unmoddedBugReport.png
    126,8 KB · Views: 0
  • moddedDefinesBugScreenshot.png
    moddedDefinesBugScreenshot.png
    17,6 KB · Views: 0
  • moddedBugScreenshot.png
    moddedBugScreenshot.png
    130,7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Possible explanation for the pop contribution: empire sprawl from pops changes by roughly that percentage, based on each governor's skill level.
...and also potentially by some species traits. Neither governor level nor traits would show up in the empire sprawl tooltip, because it's on a per-pop basis, so each pop contributes a different amount of empire sprawl to the total.

Reactions:
Can confirm the district issue also for 3.3.1, I assume something in the game code rounds this up to 1 because it doesn't expect a decimal number.

Can confirm the district issue also for 3.3.1, I assume something in the game code rounds this up to 1 because it doesn't expect a decimal number.
See attached screenshot where I attempt mod to districts contribution to 50, still an integer, and it does nothing, as pointed out by "fourteenfour" I think there is some typo in the games source code that causes it to ignore the "EMPIRE_SIZE_FROM_DISTRICTS" define.

You cannot mod it out either. So I suspect internally it is subject to a typo.

Also, found out I cannot mod EMPIRE_SIZE_BASE either, it is always 100.
My edits to "EMPIRE_SIZE_BASE" seem to work fine, see attached screenshot in OP showing size penalties with just 25 total size, I have only ever tried to mod it to 0 though.

See attached screenshot where I attempt mod to districts contribution to 50, still an integer, and it does nothing, as pointed out by "fourteenfour" I think there is some typo in the games source code that causes it to ignore the "EMPIRE_SIZE_FROM_DISTRICTS" define.

My edits to "EMPIRE_SIZE_BASE" seem to work fine, see attached screenshot in OP showing size penalties with just 25 total size, I have only ever tried to mod it to 0 though.

Interesting, so I tested this. Using a value of zero produced the results expected, immediate penalty. Any value above my current calculated empire size returns penalty starts at 100. Setting it to 1000 had no effect, perhaps the string is hard coded to occur?

However if I set the number to below my current calculated empire size I see a penalty but not the threshold anymore

So there are modifiers that are hard coded somewhere or are just spelled wrong causing the game to assign default values likely hard coded to prevent errors.

What I have in my defines... districts and base do not work but the rest do work; well I have not tested branch_offices so I guess that is next

Code:
NGameplay = {
        EMPIRE_SIZE_BASE            = 50.00  # Base
        EMPIRE_SIZE_FROM_SYSTEMS        = 1.0   # Systems           
        EMPIRE_SIZE_FROM_COLONIES        = 3.0   # Colonies   
        EMPIRE_SIZE_FROM_BRANCH_OFFICES      = 2.0   # Branch offices   
        EMPIRE_SIZE_FROM_POPS                    = 0.0   # Pops
        EMPIRE_SIZE_FROM_DISTRICTS         = 0.0   # Districts
}