As Designed Stellaris - [3.0.3] [d281] The game breaks when the Galactic Emperor becomes the Crisis

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MilesBHuff

Modder
109 Badges
Aug 5, 2013
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Description
[3.0.3] [d281] The game breaks when the Galactic Emperor becomes the Crisis

Game Version

What version do you use?
Steam

What expansions do you have installed?
All

Do you have mods enabled?
Yes

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I became the Crisis while the Galactic Emperor. Upon hitting 10,000 menace, (1) I was still the emperor, (2) I was not removed from the Galactic Community, (3) the crisis war started against my vassal instead of me. I was at war with my vassal, and they were still my vassal -- I even had the option to integrate them.

Steps to reproduce the issue.
1. Become galactic emperor
2. Become Crisis

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Stellaris Bug.png
    Stellaris Bug.png
    1,4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions:
Yeah those 2 should probably be mutually exlusive

Hello!

Thank you for the report!
Unfortunately, the issue does not reproduce on our end. Can you provide us with more information?
Those two should indeed be mutually exclusive. If you could please explain how you have managed to get both the Crisis perk and the position of a Custodian/Emperor?

Reactions:
In short: propose the custodian resolution before you pick the perk, and pick the perk before the resolution passes.

I've just started a fresh vanilla save, and did the following:
1. `overnight` until 2260 (community formed at 2240, so 2260 is the earliest I could create the galactic council)
2. `tag 0`
3. `research_all_technologies 1 1` to get a ton of diplomatic weight (optional -- only needed if you don't luck into the top 3 in terms of power (I was lucky and didn't need it))
4. Unpause for a moment so my diplomatic weight gets updated. (only needed if you did step #3)
6. Alternate between `force_senate_vote` and `end_senate_session` until the galactic council is formed
7. `observe`
8. Unpause for 180 days
9. `tag 0`
5. `unity 999999`
6. Unlock all traditions
7. `influence` so we can propose resolutions
8. `effect every_war={ end_war_effect=yes }` so that pre-existing wars don't interfere.
9. Alternate between `force_senate_vote` and `end_senate_session` until there are no agendas left

Now that the stage is set, we can get down to business:
1. `skip_galactic_community_cooldowns`
2. Propose resolution making me custodian
3. Pick "Become the Crisis" perk
4. Use council powers to start an emergency vote (or just do `force_senate_vote` like we've been doing)
5. `end_senate_session`
I am now both the Custodian *and* the crisis.
6. Propose resolution eliminating custodian term limits
7. `force_senate_vote`
8. `end_senate_session`
9. Propose resolution making me galactic emperor
10. `force_senate_vote`
11. `end_senate_session`
I am now the emperor and the crisis at the same time.

We are now able to perform the finishing touches:
1. `yesmen`
2. Force someone to be my vassal via the normal diplomacy menus
3. `menace 10000`
4. `finish_special_projects` until all 4 crisis projects are done
This time, however, a war was not declared on my vassal. In fact, a war was not declared at all -- the Galactic Imperium simply ceased to be, quite peacefully.

Saves are attached. "Ready to hack" is after the basic setup steps, and "Very Broken" is after the "let's get down to business" and the "finishing touches" instructions.

Attachments

• Very Broken.sav
    1,5 MB · Views: 0
  • Ready to hack.sav
Reactions:
Worth noting: The way I became the crisis *after* becoming emperor in my original save was by using the `activate_ascension_perk ap_become_the_crisis` command. I was actually unaware of the mutual exclusivity; I was just out of ascension perk slots and wanted to try out more gameplay mechanics on the same save.

It wasn't that hard to figure out a way to get around the mutual exclusivity, though. Thankfully, the fix *should* be fairly simple: don't allow choosing the "become the crisis" perk while the galactic community is considering making you the custodian.

I have ran through the process as you explained it and I see that this can only be achieved through the use of the console, the path to the combo of custodian/crisis together is blocked for regular/ironman playthroughs, the potential custodianship is removed from the GC as soon as you take the Crisis perk, and you have only been able to bypass this by using console commands. The system works as intended.

• 1Like
Reactions:
> the potential custodianship is removed from the GC as soon as you take the Crisis perk
Aha! I missed this, then. Thank you for your investigation! :)

EDIT: Yep, I have confirmed that custodian resolutions automatically cancel if you unpause the game.

Last edited:
Wait! @Feedback_Drone [Qloc]: I found a way around it, with no console commands! It causes a CTD, though.
1. Get the custodian vote to 1 day left
2. Open the traditions window
3. Select "Become the Crisis", but do not select "NO" or "YES"
4. Unpause for 1 day
5. Click "YES" before you dismiss the custodian appointment event. (If you click "YES" after you dismiss it, the game will work as normal, and you will not get the Become the Crisis perk.)

I have just reproduced the CTD twice. The save is attached. I also submitted a crash report with the above repro steps and a link to this thread.

Attachments

• 2261.08.26.sav
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Wait! @Feedback_Drone [Qloc]: I found a way around it, with no console commands! It causes a CTD, though.
1. Get the custodian vote to 1 day left
2. Open the traditions window
3. Select `Become to Crisis`, but do not select "NO" or "YES"
4. Unpause for 1 day
5. Click "YES" before you dismiss the custodian appointment event.
Good Find!

Yo, we've tagged this as "As Designed" for now. There's such a narrow window for this to happen that it's almost impossible for it to break peoples games.

This is going on our "things to keep an eye on" list however, so if it pops up repeatedly, we'll take a deeper dive :)

• 1Like
Reactions: