• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jan 30, 2009
Hey new to forums and whatnot, sadly here for not such good reasons.
I recently downloaded Penumbra:Gold Edition off of Steam, but I'm having some trouble. Every time I start the game it shows the "loading Penumbra" message for about a second then just disappears, I already contacted Steam and they told me to seek help here.

I checked everything that I could, all my drivers are up to date, my Windows XP is fully updated, and the game cache is intact. Any help would be immensely appreciated as I'm dying to take a stab at this game

Question: Have you installed Open AL?
If you canceled the installation of this file/program/interface immediately after downloading Penumbra via Steam (as I did), then Penumbra will not start at all. Furthermore, you'll have to find and download Open AL *manually* via the interwebs. Or at least that is true of my initial experience with Steam & Penumbra. If this *is* your problem, just do a quick search for "Open AL" on Google and you should find what you need.