• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

balegrim

Corporal
7 Badges
May 28, 2015
  • Magicka
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
I think they would make the game a lot more fun. The more unique the effect, the better.

Magicka 1 had a lot of really cool items and viable builds. I think it would be beneficial to its successor if it didn't lag behind it in this sense. I imagine 2 is intended to be a new game and ideally, an improvement from the first. With the spirit of making a better game, or at least one as good in mind, I think it would be prudent to give players what they want in a style that befits the franchise. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think magicka 1 had a lot more unique spells along the lines of summons and what not, special elemental combinations that created special effects like the ones in our focus bar. Very often developers assume by cutting spells out of products that made the first one popular, they are streamlining and improving the game. They sell it to the players with the idea they are the product is less clunky, when in fact it is just less the product. Magicka 2 is less of a product than the first magicka. No offense intended, of course, this is why the feedback forum exists. What made Magicka great was the countless options and cool spells. Add more. That variety and no holds bar system is the life blood of this game. I'll create a list of spells I think might be nifty in another post. Without further delay, my suggestions:

More Summons:
Minions are fun. Really fun. Elementals were pretty cool too. As far as I know, there is only one summoned minion in the entire game. This is Magicka 2, I don't see any reason there shouldn't be more minion variety. Every mage loves minions.

Melee Oriented Play:
Perhaps I'm experienced, but melee just doesn't feel viable. I don't even know why I carry a sword of any kind. As everything and anything gets kited. There needs to be more personal self buffs (like a high regeneration spell you can set and forget) and mitigation spells so this sword toting wizard can do some serious damage up close. Which brings me to my next suggestion:

More and Better weapons:
I feel like the weapons in this game was incomplete. Most do low or medium damage, and only a few do high damage. A few in particular mix elemental damage. I think there should be weapons that do high damage of more than one type of damage, or at least weapons that do high damage in one element. There's virtually no variety end game gear. Different objects, sure, but it's all physical.

More Staves, with unique passives and actives:
Boosting damage is cool, but it's painfully painfully linear in terms of play. And hell, you can only get huge damage bonuses out of some staffs. If it doesn't have a massive or incredible damage bonus in the flavor text, it isn't worth using. No staffs give huge bonuses to life or lightning as far as I'm aware, making the only decent elements for continuing content fire, death, and ice. I think this was a pretty big oversight. The game has eight elements. Nod to the jester's staff, which boosts shield spells. But even with more staffs offering a greater variety of boosts and setbacks, unique passives and active staff abilities was cool. In Magicka 2, we shouldn't remove the things players really loved about magicka 1.

Upvote 0
No staffs give huge bonuses to life or lightning as far as I'm aware
Actually, there is at least one staff that gives an incredible bonus to lightning with no other downsides, but alas, this is not one that gets unlocked for future use (just like the Carpet Beater). It's in... Chapter 4, i think? The one where you have to plow through the goatbros. Moon Staff, i believe it was called, partially hidden below a bush north of the path. It looked dinky, but it made my AAAAA do 550-ish damage per tick against wet beastmen, which was rather amusing. I can almost understand why it would be one of those bonus staves, even though it annoys me. :v

Beyond that, i totally agree. Hopefully they'll add some more stuff for us to mess around with later!

They will probably release special weapons and staves in a DLC or something, i mean, it was one of the coolest parts of Magicka 1, i dont think they have forgot it for M2, they are just saving half ot the game to sell it as DLC.

You got the m60 in m1 from the villager if no house burned down. This weapon was great! The first minutes we where totally fighting about it :D

Then we had the Elder Staff? The one which could summon those Trees... Another great Staff! Or the Staff which made beams endless...

I also second the Minion thing having your army of elementals was sooo awesome!

Now i'm at the seventh chapter and i find it dissapointing that there are way less magicks than in M1 vanilla :(

Well, it would seem to be we are slowly building a more general consensus that Magicka 2, compared to its predecessor is really just extremely content shy in terms of cool spells and gear. That's not to say the game isn't still fun, but there are fewer ways to play. And hopefully, DLC aside, the devs will throw in some really fun goods for us in future patches. Which is not to say other things should not be rolled out in DLC, but magicka 2, as I pointed out earlier, feels kind of incomplete. Very few magicks, very few staffs, very little in the way of unique passives and actives on said items. Which were all things that made the first game great. We didn't buy the second under the impression it'd lack many of the key defining features of the first.

Thank you all for the feedback, the development team is reading on the forums :)

That's awesome. I love that you guys actively follow and respond on the forums. I hope the tone of this feedback has been constructive. I really do enjoy this game. I think a lot of others here do too.

More magicks (tier spells), unique passives and actives on items, more items,and some love shown towards melee and I personally feel the game will be a great deal healthier! That was to summarize. :p

Last edited: