Сrashes when launching the game from the launcher [Linux]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KorumJI

Private
64 Badges
Nov 4, 2023
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
error code 127

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/korumji/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/korumji/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
./ck3: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Alt Linux Kworkstation 10.1
Steam 1701289036
Launcher 2023.15

Stellaris play perfectly.

That seems to be saying that library needs to be installed or updated. It wouldn't surprise me if CK3 needed a newer one than Stellaris.

Does that help you?

Today a small patch arrived for ck3 and the launcher no longer starts.

I couldn't do anything using your link.
The ncurses-lib package is not in my distribution's repository.

A CK3 patch does not change the launcher (they are separate apps with independent update processes), so I don't understand what's happened there. Indeed the launcher hasn't changed for about 2 weeks now, AND CK3 not for a week. Could that update you saw, have actually been a mod you are subscribed to?

But if you get the same error as above when running ./ck3 then that's nothing to do with the launcher. All I can suggest is seeking Linux help for how to obtain and install that package. Good luck!

I uninstalled and installed the game again. The funny thing is that the Windows version of the game is downloaded. The folder with the executable files (launcher and binaries) contains only exe files. The game is launched via proton, but it should work natively! The rest of Paradox's games are going great. What does this have to do with my system and some files unique to Red Hat?
1.jpg
2.jpg
[2023-12-07 11:26:53] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
[2023-12-07 11:26:53] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to ControllerWarnings with ""
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to ControllerWarnings ""
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp continues with user response "ControllerWarnings"
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] Game process added : AppID 1158310 "/home/korumji/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1158310 -- /home/korumji/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/korumji/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Crusader Kings III/launcher/dowser.exe' -nakama -simultaneouschunks 2", ProcID 29397, IP 0.0.0.0:0
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] Game process removed: AppID 1158310 "/home/korumji/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1158310 -- /home/korumji/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/korumji/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Crusader Kings III/launcher/dowser.exe' -nakama -simultaneouschunks 2", ProcID 29397
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
[2023-12-07 11:26:54] GameAction [AppID 1158310, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""

The game is trying to launch the Windows version of the launcher. The native version of the game is installed without setting up Steam Play compatibility.

Last edited:
That's a great question and I don't have an answer. When Install this game - any game - in my Linux VM, all that comes down is a native Linux version. I don't have Proton though, could that be confusing Steam ?

No. If you do not check this box, the native version of the game is installed by default. This is always the case for all games on Steam. But CK3 stubbornly installs the Windows version.

If you enable this checkbox, then Steam should download files for Windows, and if you then remove it, then it should download files for Linux. But in the case of CK3, this ONLY works towards Windows files. If you enable the compatibility setting, Steam will download Windows files, but if you remove it again, it will download the same files.
3.jpg

I just checked: Stellaris, Heart of Iron, EU4 download native versions with launch files for Linux and work great. But not CK3.

There may be a problem with Steam. Perhaps the Steam download system provides the wrong version for download.

Last edited:
Hmmm. How about if you change your Steam download region?

1) Now I checked the compatibility box, the game launched through Proton.
2) Then I unchecked the compatibility checkbox and Steam downloaded the Linux files.
3) The launcher launched in the native version.
4) Error when starting the game (screenshot).
4.jpg

./ck3: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Attachments

• launcher-2023-12-07.log
    2,9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So we are back to the libtinfo.so.6 error. I don't see any alternative to you sourcing ncurses-lib from somewhere!

ncurses is installed but it still doesn’t help. Same error.
5.jpg

And every time launch Steam Windows game files are downloaded. You have to check and uncheck the compatibility settings to download Linux files again.

There is clearly something wrong with the game. Given that all other games including the Paradox games work perfectly.

There is absolutely something wrong with the game and/or Steam as they are on this machine, I completely agree. But I'm sure it is not a general bug in the game, or all Linux users (including myself) would get it.

The Windows version issue is particulaly bizarre. How Steam detect the OS and select the appropriate game version I have no idea!

I don't suppose you have access to a Ubuntu or SteamOS installation to test the game on?