• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Blu3_Plac3bo

Corporal
6 Badges
Jan 19, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
I thought I had a decent empire going when something terrible happened.

A little dead end branch of stars with no access too behind my empire decided to be ground zero for the scourge invasion.

What came through was amazing as it was terrifying. Had I been prepared I am not sure I could have stopped them.

Not even close.

Is it possible? The AI sent to help, the sentinels were so pathetic they did nothing at all and I was crushed within six months.

What have you guys/girls have done to survive?

Last edited:
They key to having your fleets be efficient when fighting the Prethoryn is to make sure they're equipped with Point Defense Systems. The Scourge uses lots of missiles and that's the best defense against them. Their range also isn't that great, so invest in long-range weapons.

Since they use no shields but have very heavy armor, try using plasma cannons. :)

So with the advantage of fire power/range plus a defensive advantage with point defence system, is that enough when your up against a fleet 3 or 4 times your size? the vanguard (2 fleets alone) were the size of my two fleets combined, and they had seven or more.

And then the main fleet showed up. I think the main was about 56K strong.

I feel maybe it was just a bad case of RNG where they showed up and when, but it seemed very hopeless. But I will focus fleet progression a lil better and perhaps that will help out the next time.

Also I heard it helps not having as many corvettes in the fleet as well. So focus on destroyers and up?

They key to having your fleets be efficient when fighting the Prethoryn is to make sure they're equipped with Point Defense Systems. The Scourge uses lots of missiles and that's the best defense against them. Their range also isn't that great, so invest in long-range weapons.

Since they use no shields but have very heavy armor, try using plasma cannons. :)

Thanks for the advice!

And what about the sentinels? I gave them a 1k boost in energy to help fund the fight (since that was all I could do now that my fleet was smashed) and they ended up no better off than me.

If they are a part of the crisis arc were they there to help or follow the same fate?

Rememember this, ALWAYS counter the opposite fleet.
For the scourge, you need tons of armor (strike craft ignore shield), anti armor weapon(plasma and tachyon), flak and PD.
I've destroyed 4 fleet of around 70-80k with 130 BS equip with tahyon lance + 3L plasma cannon + 2flak artillery, lots of armor and bonus hull
Infused crystal plate
At the end i've just lost 18 BS

Rememember this, ALWAYS counter the opposite fleet.
For the scourge, you need tons of armor (strike craft ignore shield), anti armor weapon(plasma and tachyon), flak and PD.
I've destroyed 4 fleet of around 70-80k with 130 BS equip with tahyon lance + 3L plasma cannon + 2flak artillery, lots of armor and bonus hull
Infused crystal plate
At the end i've just lost 18 BS
Thanks for the input. Looks like i'll have to be more critical on my fleet design in the future. So how does the paper,rock,scissor system works on here? what counters/defends against other weapons/armor?

Thanks for the input. Looks like i'll have to be more critical on my fleet design in the future. So how does the paper,rock,scissor system works on here? what counters/defends against other weapons/armor?
It would go something like this found this on the internet is not mine Blu3_Plac3bo .....
If you are in the mood to read this go ahead I still have to read it myself :oops::D

If they have high shields, use lasers, high armor use canons, if they have cannons, use shields, lasers, use armor. Bigger ships, use higher range and use ship ai to stay at range while corvettes go nuts in point blank. Edit your tactics and load out on the fly depending on what you're fighting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When building your ships, you do have to keep in mind weaknesses and strengths of weapons and defenses. If your enemy primarily uses Kinetic weapons, then you want a lot of hull and Armor on your ships, as kinetic weapons tend to deal more damage to shields. If they use only Energy weapons, then you want to stack shields, as energy weapons tend to deal more damage to armor and hull. If they use a lot of bombers and/or rockets, use a lot of point defense. Also be sure to use ship strengths to your advantage. You battleships are expensive yet very powerful, that does not mean use them as frontline ships and equip them with short range weapons. Battleships are currently the only ship in the game that have access to spinal mount weapons, use these as Artillery.

My personal favorite layout for a fleet is the below. For Battleships I like to use Giga Cannons which are very large, and heavily upgraded versions of Mass Accelerators that have ludicrous range. They deal high damage to both shields and hull, but are slightly ineffective against Armour, only dealing 75% damage to them. An easy solution to their lower armor damage is to use cruisers and Plasma Cannons.

Cruisers are one tier down from battleships, and usually act as a shield for them, absorbing tons of damage while dealing quite a lot back. Plasma Cannons deal massive damage against hull and Armor, while having decent range. The plan here is that while the Battleships use their Artillery to take out shields from long range, the Cruisers move in closer to hit with their plasma weapons, dealing a lot of damage. Next in the fleet is destroyers, which are one tier below Cruisers.

For my destroyers I tend to use as much point defense as possible, as destroyers usually sit in front of cruisers and battleships, which prevent them from getting hit by missiles and bombers, which deal massive damage. Any leftover slots on the destroyers I fill with even more Plasma Cannons, to deal even more damage to hull and Armor. The final ship in my fleet is Corvettes.

While Corvettes are the lowest tier of naval ship and are very weak defense wise, they do have two very big strengths. For one, they are very cheap, only take up one fleet cap, and take just 23 days to produce when being made in a star port with a Corvette Assembly Line. Their second big advantage lies within their swarm mentality, which, when combined with their low maintenance cost, cheap production, high speed/evasion chance, and the ability to make hundreds very quickly, they become terrifying death machines. They act as the front line troop of your navy, charging into battle to deal as much damage as possible before being taken out, they are the embodiment of the idea that a strong offense is the best defense.

For my corvettes I usually put 1 Proton/Neutron torpedo, and 1 Plasma Cannon on them. Normally torpedoes should be avoided because they are easily taken out by Point Defense. But not Proton or Neutron Torpedoes, because while they are torpedoes, they are also energy weapons, and as such are immune to point defense The idea with the Torpedoes on the Corvettes is that they get very close and swarm the enemy ships, and while they do this the Torpedoes have very little travel time, hitting their targets very quickly and dealing massive damage to their shields.

This fleet layout is able to easily handle most situations with minimal losses and maximum effectiveness, but is rather expensive to maintain and is quite late game, and is by no means the only strategy to be used. This is just a general idea of what a balanced fleet would look like and is hopefully able to help anyone who is confused with fleet combat and ship set ups.

Energy weapons Kinetic weapons Missiles and strike craft

Energy weapons are generally anti-armor weapons, with attack bonuses versus armor and attack penalties against shields. Lasers are just this. Plasma are like lasers, but with an even stronger attack bonus versus armor and even an attack bonus vs. hulls as well, but have an even larger attack penalty vs. shields than lasers do. Disruptors are the EXCEPTION to the above - they just attack the hull directly, skipping past the enemy shields and armor entirely, but doing much lower base damage as the drawback.

Kinetic weapons are anti-shield weapons that are weak against armor. Railguns are your basic version. Note that your standard railgun has a longer range than the equivalent laser or plasma (so you can attack foes from further away), but is also slightly less accurate. Autocannons are basically kinetic's version of plasma weapons - even stronger against shields than railgun, and even gets bonus damage to hulls, but weaker against armor in exchange. But auto cannons are limited to Small weapon slots and are quite short range. They have amazing tracking though, so they hit moving targets very easily.

Missiles and strike craft both bypass enemy shields entirely, and most missiles and strike craft have attack bonuses against either hull (most regular missiles) or armor (torpedoes and strike craft). The drawback is that enemy point defenses can shoot them down, which allows for all damage from the attack to be prevented if the missile or strike craft is shot down, while for other weapons its just a damage penalty instead if you use them against defenses that are strong against them. Of course, the enemy needs to actually have enough point defense to shoot all of it down, or some of your missiles and strike craft will be able to slip through. So these weapons can be devastating if enemies have weak point defenses or completely ineffective if they have strong point defenses. Note that your standard point defense is better against missiles (Missiles have low evasion and standard point defense has higher base damage), while Flak is better against strike craft (strike craft are highly evasive; Flak has better tracking than standard point defense at the cost of slightly lower damage, so it can hit strike craft far more accurately and does better damage against them overall due to missing less shots). Against missiles, both point defense and flak are good enough at tracking them (again, because missiles have lower evasion), so that's why standard Point Defense wins there.

All battleships with kinetic artillery and tachyon Lance's

Before that build guns and plasma until you can get battleships

It seems you've take a post for a later version of the game :
My personal favorite layout for a fleet is the below. For Battleships I like to use Giga Cannons which are very large, and heavily upgraded versions of Mass Accelerators that have ludicrous range. They deal high damage to both shields and hull, but are slightly ineffective against Armour, only dealing 75% damage to them. An easy solution to their lower armor damage is to use cruisers and Plasma Cannons.

Actually the Giga-cannon do +33% damage on shield and ignore 50% of armor

But many thing in the post are true:
-Battleship: indeed all is good
-Cruiser: Again, it's true
-Destroyer : one thing to keep in mind is that flak use M size slot in 1.7
-Corvettes : Absolutly agree with that

Keep reading the battle log?(don't know the right word) to know what weapons your opponent use and an eye on his ships to guess if he has lots of armor/shield.

Pretty much everything svenangent posted is for 2.0 and above, also he seems to be misinformed about what counters what.

First off; you can send a single corvette against your opponent as soon as it enters combat pause the game and open the combat screen. From there you can select enemy ships and see exactly what they have, however this does not work against anything except other empires, nor does it work with Fallen Empires.

With that out of the way, if enemies have high shields, build mostly kinetics NOT energy weapons, as with the exception of distruptors and arc emitters they all have a -33% reduction to shields. If the enemy is high armour use mostly energy weapons, again only few kinetics actually ignore armour worth more than what gamma/plasma can at higher tech levels.

Let's talk about explosive weapons, they're pretty good pre 2.0, there are few counters to them early game and from my own personal experience pd is pretty bad at it's job since we don't have the Line combat role option, destroyers and cruisers with pd won't go out of their way to shoot down missles/torpedoes/strike craft. I've had flak destroyers and torp cruisers with flak, just allow my battleships to be destroyed by FE strike craft. So pd isn't as strong as it should be and because of that missles are very useful since standard missles are all rounders at the L slot doing +15% shield and ignoring about 20-30% armour. Whirlwind missles have no bonus they're just super evasive since they're only a M slot weapon. Space/Armoured/Devastator Torpedoes penetrate shields and ignore 50% armour so using them en mass on corvettes and cruisers can be very powerful.

Now let's talk about the shield killers; Energy Siphon from finding space cows, they're useless don't ever use them. Next we have disruptors, they're fairly decent with their 3rd tier at L doing 23-62 damage, but with a +200% bonus so double that and a fairly high fire rate. But the grand daddy of shield wiping goes to Proton/Neutron Torpedoes, with Neutrons doing 180-360 damage +200% a salvo of them will wipe any shield any ship can muster.

Now let's talk XL weapons, 3 flavors none of them missle based nor will there be one. Lances; 90% armour ignored -33% shield damage, perfect for Prethoryns. Giga Cannons; +33% shield damage and +20% armour ignored, it's basically a harder hitting longer ranged version of kinetic artillery. Arc Emitters; these weapons can be the best damaging weapon or the worst, as they do 1-238 damage but ignore 100% shields and armour, building them en mass against awakened empires and fallen empires is a good way to get around their shields and armour. But you'll want a lot of them, like around 60 battleships worth for the arc emitters to pay off in a wonder shot meta.

Fairly certain I didn't miss anything regarding your question of Rock-Paper-Missles, if I did leave anything out or you're uncertain about something OP just @ me and I'll do my best to get back to it in a timely manner.

Pretty much everything svenangent posted is for 2.0 and above, also he seems to be misinformed about what counters what.

First off; you can send a single corvette against your opponent as soon as it enters combat pause the game and open the combat screen. From there you can select enemy ships and see exactly what they have, however this does not work against anything except other empires, nor does it work with Fallen Empires.

With that out of the way, if enemies have high shields, build mostly kinetics NOT energy weapons, as with the exception of distruptors and arc emitters they all have a -33% reduction to shields. If the enemy is high armour use mostly energy weapons, again only few kinetics actually ignore armour worth more than what gamma/plasma can at higher tech levels.

Let's talk about explosive weapons, they're pretty good pre 2.0, there are few counters to them early game and from my own personal experience pd is pretty bad at it's job since we don't have the Line combat role option, destroyers and cruisers with pd won't go out of their way to shoot down missles/torpedoes/strike craft. I've had flak destroyers and torp cruisers with flak, just allow my battleships to be destroyed by FE strike craft. So pd isn't as strong as it should be and because of that missles are very useful since standard missles are all rounders at the L slot doing +15% shield and ignoring about 20-30% armour. Whirlwind missles have no bonus they're just super evasive since they're only a M slot weapon. Space/Armoured/Devastator Torpedoes penetrate shields and ignore 50% armour so using them en mass on corvettes and cruisers can be very powerful.

Now let's talk about the shield killers; Energy Siphon from finding space cows, they're useless don't ever use them. Next we have disruptors, they're fairly decent with their 3rd tier at L doing 23-62 damage, but with a +200% bonus so double that and a fairly high fire rate. But the grand daddy of shield wiping goes to Proton/Neutron Torpedoes, with Neutrons doing 180-360 damage +200% a salvo of them will wipe any shield any ship can muster.

Now let's talk XL weapons, 3 flavors none of them missle based nor will there be one. Lances; 90% armour ignored -33% shield damage, perfect for Prethoryns. Giga Cannons; +33% shield damage and +20% armour ignored, it's basically a harder hitting longer ranged version of kinetic artillery. Arc Emitters; these weapons can be the best damaging weapon or the worst, as they do 1-238 damage but ignore 100% shields and armour, building them en mass against awakened empires and fallen empires is a good way to get around their shields and armour. But you'll want a lot of them, like around 60 battleships worth for the arc emitters to pay off in a wonder shot meta.

Fairly certain I didn't miss anything regarding your question of Rock-Paper-Missles, if I did leave anything out or you're uncertain about something OP just @ me and I'll do my best to get back to it in a timely manner.
Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thxs for the info!