• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pr3tender

Corporal
Nov 24, 2016
Several times now, I saw opportunities for strategic marriages in the Younger Realms. I'm deep into the roleplay, going so far as to order the book Dictator's Handbook to get into the role.

However, I'm finding more and more that, perhaps, this game tries to avoid the subject of even tangential romance to it's own detriment. Now, I'm a game designer. I understand that, giving the players the option to marry strategically also makes it feel like a dick move by the developers if the players cannot in some way turn the marriage around and make it a more genuine relationship.

But I'm a dictator in this game. My whole goal was to get into positions of power, by eliminating anyone that is redundant, even if they helped me get where I am now, while trying to keep the old guard of my enemy alive, since they are more intimately familiar with the domains that I have conquered.

Yet, marriage has not even been mentioned in the game thus far. In a medieval setting like this one, being a Fatebinder or not, I had expected someone to come forward and try to seduce me for power. Hell, I'm disappointed that nobody has attempted to take advantage of my emotions yet.

Am I wrong? Have I just not come across any yet? I'm currently in the Second Act, on route from Lethian's Crossing to recruiting the Unbroken. I know that this may sound entitled, but neither Tarkis Arri, nor Deya considered marriage as a means to secure my vicarious authority.

It kind of bothers me. Not even in the way that games have been allowing me to bone things. In fact, that part of Bioware games has always been hopelessly dull to me. In fact, that was why I had hoped that this game would show political marriage in more plastic terms.

Heck, I wouldn't have minded it if it's just a throwaway storyline and that's all that ever came of it. But I got nothing thus far. Not even from the Deya, who literally married into power before and is currently a bacholerette. I wanted to give her a taste of her own medicine, marrying her for claim to Lethian's Crossing and then punt her off the Spire for violating Kyros' Peace.

Upvote 0
You are expecting something really deep and meaningful in this game which is surprising to me. I would love for this game to have such options or the depth of politics to even handle such a nice move as political marriage.

Sadly tho the politics in this game boil down to binary options. Wouldn't it be nice to play disvafored against chorus or the other way around? Wouldn't it be nice to ally a faction like brozne brotherhood just to use it for your own means and dump them later?... Ohh wouldn't it be nice...