• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my experience (MBP, 2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X) most Paradox games run fine—unless it's summer... The specs matter, but what even seems to matter more are the heat and the under-clocking that comes with it. CK2 runs smooth with my Mac and with medium fan noise, HOI4 however has the fans constantly at their highest activity levels. Sometimes, in winter, I sit outside on the balcony and the ingame days pass much faster.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Reason why hardware comparable Mac lose to WinPC - is in system. Historically, Microsoft make all efforts to make Win gaming platform (yes, ladies and gentelmens, DirectX). I don't say that it's faster - it's just better known, it's easier to find devs for it, it has better documentation. Take it all together, with the fact that Macs never was positioned as game platforms at all and lesser market for MacOS, why bother and optimise game for two and half gamers?

Reactions:
Hi guys, so do you think playing in bootcamp will work? They have already commented on it before, but the strange thing is that I was able to play Imperator without problems until update 1.3. Even knowing that the mac community is not very big, I think they could try to optimize it more

Just passing this on (I don't know this personally)... It was mentioned in another thread that MacOS uses an outdated OpenGL and there is speculation that this is a main reason (not necessarily the main reason) why the specs are so high on MacOS.

Reactions:
Vulkan wasn't supported by Apple in any ways, only a crappy OpenGL (and Apple will kill it too). Some people are developing a middleware (MoltenVK) to convert Vulkan to Metal, but it wasn't usable until 2018 (and not very optimized at this time). The game engine for CK3 and Imperator is more older than that. Furthermore, using this middleware can be risky, Apple can kill it in trying to more forcefully impose Metal... So the problem lies in the classic Apple policy to try to impose some standards with a very minor position in gaming, not in Paradox. MS do the same, but with a clear dominant position, so...

Reactions:
Hi guys. Do you think I can run the game decently?
I have consulted this page but I am not familiar with it, so I do not know if by passing the minimum requirements I will be able to play it more or less well.
I am playing from bootcamp.
Thanks.
Captura.PNG
fg.PNG

Minimum Requirements tends to mean you can play the game. The result of your Dedicated VRAM being not enough seems pretty average for a laptop.

Your specs should let you run the game on minimum in terms of graphical options. Your integrated GPU is ever so slightly worse than the minimum requirements. Looking into it you can run witcher 3 at 25 fps on low. If it can even do that CK3 should be fine. Though oddly enough the 580 (minimum requirement displayed) can run W3 at 30-35 FPS. Despite being older. Huh. I dont get laptops really.

Reactions: