• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feedback - love the tone etc, well done :)

On the Soviet/Polish/German/Dutch war - lots of comments about 'soviet artillery being superior' but no sign of any soviet artillery in the actual battle screens?

Looking forward to the next installment.
Thank you. My battle screens are bugged and I don't know why. Most of the time they do not show the numbers of artillery in the battle. My field armies always consist of 5 infantry, 4 artillery, and 1 hussar brigade. So most of the time you can infer the amount of artillery in the battle based on how many infantry and hussar brigades their are.

It is easy to forget just how big the Soviet Union is. That troop deployment graphic is a fantastic reminder of such scale – and just a good graphic generally.

Either way you go with regards to war, I'll be reading along with a keen interest. Go and conquer Asia for the good of the proletariat! (Or something...) :D
Despite the size of the Red Army it is difficult to keep enough troops in Europe, Central Asia, and China. With China being a great power and having cores own several regions the USSR controls, they could declare war at any time.

Hi, I would like to inform you that this AAR has won the Weekly AAR Showcase! Congratulations :).
Thank you, I'm honored!

Subbed! I think I need to play a Russia game now...once my replacement RAM gets here
Welcome aboard! Games as Russia are usually the most entertaining.

Great update as always, like others I thought the deployment Map was fantastic. You've got me craving a new V2 game as Russia, the temptation has been building for sometime now!

Last edited:
Just read through as this was recommended to me, and I have to say it is very worthwhile of a recommendation. Thoroughly enjoyable read.

Great update as always, like others I thought the deployment Map was fantastic. You've got me craving a new V2 game as Russia, the temptation has been building for sometime now!
Thanks I thought the map was a nice alternative than to stating there are X amount of troops here. Get that game of Russia going!

Just read through as this was recommended to me, and I have to say it is very worthwhile of a recommendation. Thoroughly enjoyable read.
I'm glad you enjoyed the AAR so far!

bnd9.jpg

The War to end all Wars​

As war in the east was fast approaching Marshal Zavoyko began to transfer more and more divisions of the Red Army to the Far East. The Central Committee was still deeply divided on who the next target for expansion should be; Japan or China. While the debate raged a proposal was introduced to buy the committee more time while still expanding the great Soviet state. Manchuria would become the latest Soviet province. It would serve well as a base of operations to push into China, Japan, or Korea. This simple fact allowed the Central Committee to quickly come to an agreement. The propaganda machine of the USSR began work on justification of the invasion.

Unfortunately for the USSR, it was still suffering a serve economic depression. As it tried to increase military spending to prepare for war with Manchuria the economic strain proved too much and the Union went bankrupt. Unable to pay its own soldiers the USSR had to slash military spending to the bone. It had no choice but to increase taxes 100% across the board. Even with taxes increased to their maximum the state still struggled to balance the budget.

In early 1910 a rather minor diplomatic crisis occurred which brought the great powers to the diplomatic table. The United Kingdom choose to support the Romanian independence movement from Hungary. The Soviet Union also gave Romania its support. Not because of any real concern about the welfare of the Romanian people but it would weaken Germany, who was allied with the Hungarians. Unsurprisingly the longtime German ally, the Netherlands, sided with Hungary.

vcey.jpg

What did surprise the Soviets was that the Germans utterly refused to back down and the Great War was unleashed on the world. The USSR believed that Germany was still exhausted from their recent war and would simply bow down. Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium, and Serbia would form the Central Powers. While the United Kingdom, USSR, and Ottoman Empire formed the Triple Entente. The UK’s puppets also joined the alliance most notable were Persia and Afghanistan.

l2c5.jpg

k32e.jpg

With much of the Red Army deployed to Central Asia and the Far East, the European front was vulnerable. Red Army forces were pulled from Central Asia and sent to Europe with all possible speed. Military spending was increased but the current readiness level of the Red Army was horrid. It would seem that the Central Powers would hold an advantage early in the war.

The Soviet Union initially feared very little of the Germans. Indeed less than a year ago the Red Army showed their superiority over the Heer with a tremendous victory. Surely the Germans were still weakened from the war? In fact, the exact opposite was the case. Disturbingly Soviet Intelligence had failed to realize that Germany, despite a short time, had fully recovered from the war with the USSR. Unknowingly the Germans had completely annexed Austria, something Soviet Intelligence had missed. This infused the Germans with new life and galvanized their military. In fact the standing German army was larger than the Red Army.

The greatest war the world had ever seen was about to be waged. Who would emerge victorious the Central Powers or the Triple Entente?

rw1os.jpg

o5dq.jpg

xy92.jpg

As always, thanks for reading!

Great map!

I think the lineup for the war is quite interesting.

I will use this update to show one of my favourite Great War allegory map!

Leviathan+Great+War+Map.jpg
Oh. My. G. O. S. H.
YOU READ THAT SERIES??? Yesssss! I love the Leviathan series! :D

That map is all sorts of awesome, though Scandinavia does have a certain faced penis look.

Can someone like to this series?

Oh. My. G. O. S. H.
YOU READ THAT SERIES??? Yesssss! I love the Leviathan series! :D

I am sorry to disappoint you but I know this image because of something else...two years ago, still in high school, our history teacher showed us this map in his presentation. I haven't read the mentioned books - but I like to consume steampunk in small doses so I might as well check them ;).

Why do you bring up my hopes to crush them mercilessly...? :(

I feel obliged to say that I haven't read the series. Neither do I know what "the series" actually is. :D

In any case, this war is gearing up to be brilliantly exciting. The numbers on either side are truly staggering!

Read it. Read it NOW. :p
Hopefully this actually can be a war to end all wars!

Ouch - not a good war for the Entente on the face of it unless the Uk can get it's armies into Europe proper - what does the rest of the world map look like (wondering about Alliance colonies that will soak up forces from both sides).

The War to end all wars. Until the next war of course. Doh.:p

I will use this update to show one of my favourite Great War allegory map!

Leviathan+Great+War+Map.jpg
Interesting map, I've never seen its likeness.

I think the lineup for the war is quite interesting.
The balance of power seems relatively even. Would have preferred if France joined us so the UK would have access.

I feel obliged to say that I haven't read the series. Neither do I know what "the series" actually is. :D

In any case, this war is gearing up to be brilliantly exciting. The numbers on either side are truly staggering!
Should prove to be a tough war. Germany and its allies have no shortage of brigades.

Ouch - not a good war for the Entente on the face of it unless the Uk can get it's armies into Europe proper - what does the rest of the world map look like (wondering about Alliance colonies that will soak up forces from both sides).
04d6fd.jpg

The fighting should be limited to Europe.

The War to end all wars. Until the next war of course. Doh.:p
The one flaw in the title :)

That Bolivia is majestic to say the least, Subbed!