• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Covini414

Recruit
1 Badges
Mar 15, 2021
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
hey im playing hoi4 and am encountering this frequent glitch, by early 1941 soviets have over 200 divisions, meaning i cant break them and push, even with ht divisions and 14/4 infantry, any advice? thanks.
Edit: i call it a glitch because i deleted a bunch of important files when i had this issue with france, and the game was fair again, so im guessing fucking with files again will fix it

Last edited:
similar thing happend to me and its really annoying, they've got like 5 divisions and atleast 1 tank per province

only 1941 and its a nightmare having to push with them counter-attacking constantly, i consider myself a pretty good player and the game was going great up until this soviet union

It's a game. You can uninstall reinstall.

Or do soviet tank treaty. Get Tigers by 1939. Do barbarossa in 1940.

Barb is hard for new players.

But the main thing is have tanks. Make them attack on plains. Do encirclements. Have air superiority and cas cas cas whenever your tanks go.

It's cheesey but you can justify on the baltics too and get them before the USSR can. Then you have a massive front and more spearhead locations.

Reactions:
I don't understand.

What's the glitch supposed to be here?

It's trivially easy for the Soviets to have over 200 divisions a whopping 5 years after the game starts. I mean.. they start with over 100 AND begin with a whopping THIRTY military factories.

This is just an L2P issue tbh. You're not even supposed to rely on infantry for offenses, the fact that you often can just speaks to AI incompetence. It's pretty easy to do even with light tank divisions. I don't even bother with 40 width divisions, it's cheese and 20 width divisions work just as well.

I use my infantry to hold the line and then attack with tank divisions that have 3 motorized or mechanized battalions, 2 self propelled artillery battalions, 3 tank battalions, and 2 self propelled anti-air battalions. Sometimes I mix it up. 2 SPAA battalions is usually more than is needed against the AI so I often just go with 1 and then add another tank division and just tolerate being at 21 width. You can easily break through Soviet lines with this, even using light tanks. I keep pushing with the tanks, and then I used motorized divisions(usually 7 battalions of motorized and 2 of motorized artillery) to protect the new front while the slower infantry make their way there, and also use them to help set up encirclement.

Barbarossa isn't hard, but Jays298 is correct that it is difficult for new players. If you're really struggling with it I recommend playing as a more minor country(Italy even) and experimenting with what you can do to help the Germans break through. What you learn there will help you to do it on your own when you play Germany. Of course, a potential problem here is that the AI is notoriously incompetent at managing supply and more often than not they will eat up supply to such a point that you can't even send any divisions without suffering high attrition.

Reactions:
hey im playing hoi4 and am encountering this frequent glitch, by early 1941 soviets have over 200 divisions, meaning i cant break them and push, even with ht divisions and 14/4 infantry, any advice? thanks.
Edit: i call it a glitch because i deleted a bunch of important files when i had this issue with france, and the game was fair again, so im guessing fucking with files again will fix it
You're making a mistake already by trying to push them with your infantry division. Use Tanks divisions to push and encircle. I beat the Soviet Union despite having fewer infantry divisions and no air superiority, because I focused my push with my tank divisions. It doesn't do much good for the AI having more infantry divisions because they could only push me a little where I was not focusing my panzer army, meanwhile I was pushing them back hard on areas where I focused my panzer army at.

Last edited:
As long as my allies don't flood the frontlines with useless divisions and by doing so cause unsolvable supply problems, I've never encountered a (large) front which cannot be broken with 4-6 40 Width Tank Divisions. Of course, not in any spot (terrain may be not as important as it should be, but is has an effect) and of course not with red air but with green air, appropriate terrain and enough supplies the tanks will break through. Do this at two positions and you've a nice encirclement.