• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Broletariat90

Lt. General
44 Badges
Jul 6, 2013
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Has anyone seen a youtuber go down the route that would lead to a German Soviet Alliance? I think it would be pretty interesting to see how the AI would deal with it. Probably not very well but still :p

It would be great to just focus on clearing the Mediterranean, North Africa and the Middle East as Germany while the USSR goes after Persia and Afghanistan. Kind of continuing the squabbles the Russians had with the British in the mid to late 1800's.

And if anyone says this is not plausible or silly, Several Nazis such as Goebbels and Ribbentrop , including the German ambassador to Moscow believed this was a better path to take. Goebbels in fact kind of had a crush on the USSR when he began publishing political articles in the mid 1920's. Hitler told him to switch his tune if he wanted to stay relevant and not end up like the Strassers. He was so insecure and wanting approval that he did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German–Soviet_Axis_talks

And this book has a lot of interesting stuff , especially early on about Goebbels and his view of the USSR.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JTCJEBQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Anyways thought this would be a fun thing to discuss, anyone have any opinions or something they would like to share?

Reactions:
HoI4 kind of allows this, the USSR can focus on anti-UK (though it has them taking Turkey and Greece, which doesn't exactly line up with Germany's greater plans with the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Plus, Germany has a line which leads to alliance with the USSR, so it is possible.

By now I've tried this one time with Germany and I think that it was a wrong move. Several months into this alliance and the Soviets declared war on Poland and the Allies. To get an alliance with the USSR makes the whole Axis angry at you, although I worked things out with Italy and Nationalist Spain and they got in "The Berlin-Moscow Axis", which is a bit weird because USSR doesn't join this faction but only leaving the Comintern. It wasn't not-expected that they would attack Poland, as it was 1940, yet I was surpriesd and wanted to get to that phase later. I'm still a newbie though, I guess other people will do better in Fascist-Communist alliance.

To make it kind of possible there would have to be kind of Hitler assassination? So the other German politicians of the era could step in, adjust policies and than.. Scare but possible. And ofc, as the Stalin personality was bit unstable? would be question when he will back stab.
There's a national focus for an alliance with the USSR. Here, no plot needed.

Last edited:
I think you should have acted first in the summer of 1939 with the Molotov Ribbentrop Pact. That's probably what screwed that up. Go after Poland first, good practice and would probably avoid any crazy stuff if you ally the Soviets.