• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Saxons are restless.

It seems as if their current chief is acting as the sane person...
For now, yes, but Theodoric is hemmed in between his responsibilities in his position and the views of his people, which seem to be at odds with his. I think part of him also wants to fight as well, though he knows he can't afford to be reckless about it. We'll see whether his caution is warranted.

@Midnite Duke Thanks as always for your kind words and support for this AAR.

I'll have another post up tomorrow:)

Reactions:
April 772 anno domini, Lower Saxony

After the failure of his vote, the Great Stag of the Saxons decided to take matters into his own hands. Without consulting his father, Wichimann secretly dispatched several warriors down into the lands of Westfalia, lands now occupied by the Frankish lords to whom Karloman had distributed these lands after his victory at Kleve. They were instructed to set the signal at a time of their choosing, when the convenient opportunity came…

It came in barely a week, a small caravan of Frankish traders roving over the Saxon border to sell their wares and then return home, laden with goods to trade back. Whilst they were on their return route, Wichimann’s troop began it’s attack. They set upon the Franks with reckless abandon, slaughtering those who resisted and seizing the goods. They set the caravan ablaze in the woods, lighting a grand fire that burned for miles, and was visible for near as long.

Within days the tribes were besieging Kleve, forcing Count Berengar to hole his men up inside his fort, and send word out to Paris that the Saxons were in revolt. Having no choice now that some of the tribes had taken matters into their own hands, Grand Duke Theodoric repudiated his treaty with the Franks and ordered a general muster of Saxon warriors. Up and down the Rhine Saxons rose to meet this challenge to their way of life, answering the call of their leaders and their Gods.

The Franks would be driven from their lands… at any cost.

May, 772.

It was near a month later when word reached the capital, forcing King Karloman to immediately order a muster to raise the levies and send them eastwards. The message birds flew to every corner of the Kingdom, with the King himself ordering the troops to muster near Julich. The army that would gather there would be the hammer with which Karloman would smash the Saxons and force them back into submission.

The King, for his part, was enraged at this latest violation. How could one hope to civilise a people who swore sacred oaths of peace and friendship and then broke them just as easily? How could they ever be trusted in their submission? Clearly his clemency on his enemies had not had the desired effect. Some more drastic measures would be required.

No longer would he demand a bit of Saxon territory, a strip of land stripped away so it could be properly integrated, slowly, piece by piece. The whole of Saxony must be brought to heel, it’s armies smashed, tribes destroyed, resistance uprooted from root to branch. Only the whole conquest would suffice.

Karloman even had his messengers take it upon themselves to declare this conflict a Holy one, in defense of God and Mother Church. He would crush the Saxon barbarians and force the Pagans into submission to guarantee the protection and rights of Christians east of the Rhine. One benefit to a heathen enemy was that it was easier to whip up the support of the faithful for campaigns against them.

The daily grind of council ceased, the petty squabbles of administration melting away in face of the muster and the mounting enthusiasm for war. The King’s lords rallied behind him once more as they departed to muster their own levies, confident in the knowledge that once the army was gathered, it’s numbers would be sufficient to crush the brave but tactically inflexible Saxons once more.

June, 772.

The retinues were still coming in, but the King was impatient to move, aware that every day they delayed, the weaker the Franks position beyond the Rhine became.

“We’ll leave them behind,” he finally announced to Marshal Maurad, “We’ve got six thousand, the rest can join us when they’ve gathered here.

“Is it wise to move on ahead?”

“Perhaps, but that’s what I wanted your opinion on,” Karloman glanced at him, “The longer we wait, the more strength we can gather here, but the more we lose over the Rhine. We wait too long, and we’ll have to have a hostile crossing again, instead of being greeted by friendly troops on the other side.”

“There’s risks both ways,” the blind man replied, “Move too slowly and we give them time to gather strength and confidence. Move too fast, and we might blunder into a trap.”

“Which do you suggest?”

“You are the King,” Maurad shrugged, “It’s your decision.”

And fat load of help you are in making it, The King thought irritably. Finally, after chewing his lip for several long moments, he spoke again.

“Every instinct I have tells me to move now, and use our speed to catch the Saxons off-guard. Surprise them with our swiftness, and we’ll unsettle them. Our agents report discord in the tribal leaderships between those who favour this new attack and those who don’t. We unsettle those who have been agitating for this attack loudly, and they may turn on each other in even more discord and disarray. We might even be able to help it along a bit.”

“Your mother’s spies at work again?” Maurad asked,

“Naturally,” Karloman replied smugly, “And mine as well, but more of hers.”

“It has risks, but my advice to you has always been to trust your instincts,” Maurad replied, ignoring the bragging.

Karloman had decided by the following morning, his instincts had been right during the previous campaign after all, and if they hadn’t led him astray before, then he decided they were unlikely to do so now.

The army that had been gathered thus far was thus prepared to march east the following morning, cross the river and relieve the siege at the Kleve fort, and then push deeper into Saxony. The Second of the Saxons Wars had begun…

OOC: Heading east again it seems.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Good that Karlomann can rely on his mother's spies at least in foreign issues.
Here's hoping that the Saxons can finally be brought to heel. It will have to be seen then how long they can be kept docile.

Reactions:
The King had ordered the torching of every village they passed, and the fires that burned as a consequence had lit the night, and the path of the advancing Frankish army. The Saxons were retreating, falling back deeper into the forests of their homeland, an obvious attempt to lure the Franks in, and bait that Karloman was happy to take them up on. If he could defeat the Saxons on home ground, crush their resistance here, he could ground them down until they were no more. Once the army was scattered and broken, he could crush the country and people at his leisure.

Three loud blasts of the warning horns breached the night and woke him groggily from sleep.

“Saxons!” The cry went up and the Franks rushed to their stations to defend the camp.

For the King, the hours that followed were ones of confusion, putting out fires, patching up breaches in fortifications or army lines, and killing the odd Saxon who broke through.

Only in the morn was the true cost of the ambush clearly. Several hundred Frankish warriors had fallen in the night, security of their camp had been breached, and they were within enemy territory with the rest of the army too far away to the west to render immediate assistance.

“It was my own damn fault,” Karloman ruefully admitted to his generals, “We were cocky and moved too fast too soon because I wasn’t heedful enough of what might be waiting for us. I think we should adopt a more deliberate pace when we make west for Paderborn today, Thoughts?”

It spoke volumes as to the mood in the room when they all murmured assent. The King had made an error true, but it was salvageable if he learned from it. Likewise, they appreciated the fact that he didn’t give them a bollicking by pointing out that none of them had been willing to recommend a slower, more deliberate pace east either.

“The Saxons caught us on the hop and we paid for it last night,” Karloman continued, “It must not happen again. Every night we camp we must do so properly fortified, and with no natural hiding places that the enemy can use to spring an ambush upon us. We’ll pull up stakes and move east today, up to Paderborn, but we’ll sit and wait for the rest of the army to catch up in mid-June before we move further.”

Paderon, Saxony.

The mood in the Saxon camp meanwhile, was jubilant, even Theodoric seemed buoyed by it, with renewed confidence in his people’s chances.

“And the longer Karloman waits, the more time we have to gather support and show the tribes we can throw back the Franks,” Theodoric smiled at Wichimann, “I underestimated you, my son, the strategy of enticing Karloman this far east ahead of the rest of his force was a good one. You baited the trap, and he walked into it.”

For Wichimann, his father’s support lightened his mood considerably, “He’s not beaten yet father, he’ll be marching here next I’m sure of it,” Wichimann replied thoughtfully, “But yes, a victory is a victory still.”

“If we marshal at Paderborn, we’ll throw the Franks back here.” Theodoric said thoughtfully, “This is the strongest fortress we have, the Franks who were here prior to our rising up have been driven out and the locals will be willing to keep us supplied. Continue harrying and harassing Karloman, but let him come to us. We’ll let him have his pitched battle, but on our ground, on our terms, like we should have done the first time round,”

“Aye father,” Wichimann gave a lopsided grin, “let’s finish it.”

By June 15th, the Frankish army was camped outside Paderborn, having repulsed two further Saxon attempts. Karloman had learned from the first assault, and been ready for them the following times.

But the Saxon horde that gathered at Paderborn was ready, well-motivated, and fighting for their freedom. On the 16th and 17th, they offered battle to the slightly outnumbered Frankish army, and both times they were refused.

What is Karloman waiting for? His reinforcements might even the numerical odds, but they won’t surpass them, and our scouts reports they should have already arrived days ago?

On the 18th, the Saxon army formed for battle again, and the Franks answered this time…

Karloman’s force had entered battle with a refused right flank, pushing the Saxons into the funnel to attack the left, the King himself commanded the cavalry reserve, as was by now his want, placed on the right.

The heavier Frankish infantry clashed with the Saxon huscarls, led by Wichimann, on the left of their line. Two large charges were repulsed, and the Frankish archers fired over the heads of their own forces to punch holes into the lines of the advancing huscarls. But the Saxon light horse then advanced, trying to lure the Frankish right out of their line.

The Frankish right did not advance, but the cavalry reserve did, Karloman committed himself and his troops to charge the Saxon horse.

Outnumbered but bolstered by the King’s presence, the Frankish horse fell into the bloody melee for several long minutes, finally putting the Saxons to flight. In the distance, through the stains of blood and the haze of the afternoon dust, Karloman could see Theodoric riding up to try and rally his fleeing horsemen.

It might have worked too, had the Frankish reinforcements not shown their hand at that moment. Working in tandem to move through the thick, forested regions, they had emerged in the afternoon of the 18th, as they had planned, behind and to the left of the Saxon line, smashing into the rear at precisely the moment Theodoric had set to rally his horse.

With their reserve line buckling, Wichimann’s surviving men also began to turn and run, abandoning their assault on the hard-pressed Frankish left.

If there was one sadness to the triumph with which Karloman greeted the end of that day, it was the inability to capture Theodoric himself. Several Saxon tribal chiefs were dead or captured, of which Wichimann himself was the most prominent of the latter. The Saxon remnants had fled back into the fort at Paderborn and would put up further fighting, and no doubt Theodoric would attempt to rally others, but a decisive victory had been won.

The siege towers went up the following day, and the ram the day after, as the Frankish men had set to besiege the stronghold…

Chronicles of the Saxons: The Last Gasp, by PHD Amelia Statton, University of Montenotte, circa 1800

The Second of the Saxon peoples conflict with the newly united Frankish peoples was a far more bloody and extensive one than the first. Karloman and his forces showed no mercy, the clemency he had shown at the end of the previous conflict was now gone. The reasons for this abrupt change of policy towards the Saxons are speculative, but it is likely that the Franks were irritated by a new revolt so soon after the peace that they had forced on the Saxons at swordpoint and sought to make an example of the price that would be paid for broken agreements…

Regardless, Karloman’s forces raced ahead over the Rhine before even the entirety of his army was gathered. This may seem reckless, even foolhardy, but the King’s confidence had likely been buoyed by his previous victories and made him confident of his chances.

Misfortune and near-disaster followed, followed by a turn of fortune…

1609460513699.png

Battle of Paderborn, June 18th 772 anno domini. This battle was one of the most decisive engagements of the Second Saxon War.

OOC: Finished this yesterday, but felt it more fitting that we start the new year with a new post. Here's to a happy 2021 for everyone! Thanks to all my wonderful readers who've been so supportive and encouraging of this AAR all the way through so far.

Happy New Year:_

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Impressive battle. Switching from 1st person to millennium later history book. Nice! What surprises do you have for us in the new year? Be careful, my King or is it my Professor?
Hehe, glad you liked it! I thought the pretend history bit might switch things up a bit. I'll probably be doing that every so often to switch out of the 1st person narrative so it keeps everything fresh.
I can't say much, but I'm going to hint that there'll be some new characters hopping into the story soon, mostly to the east and south, and one of Karloman's future successors will start getting play in the next few posts:)

Reactions:
An impressive victory for the Franks even if it took a few blows for Karlomann to get his plans in order. With Wichmann captured I can’t see the Saxons resisting much longer.
I’m intrigued by the last sentence of the good doctor. What misfortune might lie in wait?
You spoke of successors, I don’t remember hearing much about heirs for Karlomann, might that be some happy news in the future?

Reactions:
An impressive victory for the Franks even if it took a few blows for Karlomann to get his plans in order. With Wichmann captured I can’t see the Saxons resisting much longer.
I’m intrigued by the last sentence of the good doctor. What misfortune might lie in wait?
You spoke of successors, I don’t remember hearing much about heirs for Karlomann, might that be some happy news in the future?
Karloman starts the game with an infant son so... We'll see:_

Yeah, the capture of Wichimann will have implications a couple of posts further down. The misfortune was supposed to refer to the ambush at the start of the post and the error Karloman made in rushing ahead too early:_ Sorry if that wasn't clear:_

Reactions:
Saxony is almost subjugated, hopefully. That's what they deserve for crossing the King of the Franks!

Reactions:
The fall of Paderborn came a week after Theodoric’s escape, the fortress surrendered to the Franks after a day of sustained assault. The outnumbered and outmatched Saxons decided submission was preferable to extermination after all.

Yet resistance was not yet crushed, and the King made the decision to march further east to catch up with the fleeing Theodoric before he could finish rallying the other tribal forces.. But first… he had some business to deal with.

“And what of the tree?”

The ‘World Tree’, Irminsul, was a sacred symbol of the Saxons Pagan religion. Karloman’s forces had taken the tree after the fall of the fortress. Now the question begat itself, what to do with it?

“Rip it down and burn it,” was Maurad’s advice, “If we are to smash the Saxons, we must show that even their Gods cannot match the true power of the One True God and the Holy Church. Burning the World Tree will demonstrate our supremacy.”

“Could we not convert it to a church?” Karloman asked, “Same effect, but less destructive,”

“A thing converted can easily be converted back,” Maurad answered, “if we are to put down all traces of Saxon resistance, their spirit must be broken as thoroughly as their armies. And the places where they worship the false gods must not be exempt from that policy, you know that.”

Karloman sighed, he misliked the notion of deliberately destroying a place of worship, but Maurad’s instincts were right, it would demoralise the Saxons to see their precious tree go up in flames, and to see no retribution exacted upon the invading Christian forces by their gods for doing so…

“Very well,” Karloman nodded swiftly, “I do not like it, but I have heard your arguments and you speak true. Burn it down.”

And so the Great Tree burned, for the Saxons, a terrible blow, as they imagined that the tearing of those great roots was the sound of the Gods themselves screaming in agony as the flames consumed them and burned them to ashes. For those further east, who heard of the atrocity, it hardened their resolve and compelled them to stand and fight more battles against the onrushing Frankish forces.

Which was exactly what Karloman was counting on, that all who were prepared to oppose him in battle might now take the field, saving him from having to return later. The more Saxons he killed now, the fewer there were to worry about committing treachery the moment his back was turned.

The next few victories were more simply won, the Saxons lacked the numbers for sustained, attritional warfare, so the Franks simply ground them down over the following weeks and months. But the price of triumph was always paid for in blood, and this victory was no exception.

Kleve, September 772.

King Karloman of the Franks had set up his impromptu tribunal court with all due pomp and ceremony to receive the formal surrender of Theodoric, Grand Chief of Saxony. There could be no mistaking the intent, no mere gentlemen’s agreement made between two leaders, in a relatively private meeting. This surrender would be public in its appearance, humiliating in its totality and overwhelming in its finality. There could be no further mistakes, no further tolerance for Saxon uprisings. A safe and secure eastern frontier for the Franks was the only tolerable outcome of Karloman’s wars.

The theatre of the whole thing was carefully calibrated. Wichimann and the other Saxon prisoners lined up on the raised wooden dais on either side of where Karloman and his officials sat, with Theodoric riding up through the crowd of Frankish warriors, hands bound by tight ropes, to come down from his horse and bow before Karloman, pledging the formal fealty to Frankia on behalf of all Saxons. Behind the dais, three rows of Saxon prisoners numbering into the thousands stood chained and semi-naked, shivering in the morning dew.

The ceremony was brief and formalistic, but Karloman was not done.

“It has already been clear that the people of Saxony cannot be trusted in their submission that they have given here today,” the King proclaimed in cold, ringing tones that echoed throughout the square. Not a novice at this point in making himself heard, Karloman had ‘boosters’, men with voices that carried clearly across long distances, stationed at various points on either end of the square, carefully instructed to repeat every word he said so that not even the smallest, meanest man at the back of the assembled forces could fail to hear the King’s words.

“Those before me on this dais were among those who had made their submissions and their fealty over a year ago.” The King gestured to his assembled prisoners, “They themselves were among those who were obliged to cleave to me in all matters, according to the terms they were bound by. They broke those oaths to take up arms against their liege in violation of Theodoric’s sacred word. Rather than punish them, Theodoric joined them in their uprising.”

The king’s pale eyes flickered down to the kneeling Theodoric, then back to his prisoners.

“But it is those who incited this insurrection, this base falseness who must first receive their punishment.” The King continued, he gestured to some of his soldiers. “I ask those of you assembled. My lords, and my brave soldiers, to bear witness to the honesty and necessity of this punishment.

Several round wooden blocks were dragged forward onto the dais. The large greatswords were brought out.

Theodoric’s eyes widened, realising suddenly what Karloman had intended,

“Your Majesty! I ask forbearance for my son! He-“

“Quiet!” The King snapped back, swiftly silencing the interruption, “You will watch as well, to bear witness.”

It took several hours for the executions to carry on. A line of men were decapitated, their bodies and heads removed, and then another line brought forward onto the dais. Three thousand Saxon prisoners in total, including Wichimann, the Great Stag himself lost their heads on that terrible day as the Frankish soldiers did their bloody work for hours upon hours. The King himself sat motionless as a stone atop his dais as the terrible work was done and the blood from the executions ran and pooled beneath his feet.

The terrible work finally done, Karloman’s voice rang out once more over a square soaked in the silence of death.

“Let this be a clear signal of our desire. There can be no further insurrections. The submission given here today will be total, and complete. There will be no further clemency. There will be no further mercy.” His eyes bored directly into the distraught Theodoric below.

“Heed the lesson I have taught today, for I shall not deliver it so selectively again.”

Thus passed the day known to history as Karloman’s Blood Court. And if men whispered in fear and castigated him as Karloman the Butcher, Karloman the Cruel when he passed, the King could only hope the example made once need not be made again.

OOC: I had one of my periodic bouts of anxiety which delayed this post and then global news made me feel really down again, so I apologise for the delay. A pretty heavy post to write this time as well. Thanks to everyone for their forebearance.

• 1Love
Reactions:
The Blood Court was necessary. Harsh, but necessary.

Interesting to see Karloman's reluctance to burn down the World Tree...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Blood Court indeed, at this point the Saxons are too broken to even contemplate insurrection. The rest of Europe (and I assume the Italians especially) must be looking with fear to Karloman's next move.
I wonder how this cruelty or terrible necessity has gone down in Karloman's domestic sphere.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@slothinator
Indeed, Karloman didn't get the nickname 'Karloman the Cruel' for nothing for that:_ It'll definitely come up again.

@HistoryDude
According to Karloman, yes. Certainly it'll help smash the Saxons quicker, whether it has negative blowback remains to be seen.

Thanks a bunch for everyone whose been keeping up with this AAR. I'll have another post up in a day or two:_

Reactions:
November 773 anno domini

If any had hoped that King Karloman’s Blood Court would bring an immediate end to the fighting, they were mistaken. Though the bulk of Saxon resistance had been broken with Theodoric’s surrender, isolated flare-ups of resistance continued for months before petering out in December, when the King finally turned for home after having re-organised and divided his new province. While Theodoric remained nominal Grand Chief, the territories of Saxony had been largely divvied up among a series of petty Frankish lords whose task was to secure, tame and Christianise the newest addition to the Frankish realms.

Seemingly within days of his return to Paris, the King had grown restless, planning to complete his campaigns in Brittany that the Saxon revolt had interrupted. Queen Mother Bertrada had barely had time to update her son on developments in his domestic life before he planned to be off again. In war, leading his armies, the King had found the allure of success, and perhaps of validation, that he had been seeking his entire life.

“Yet I must insist I brief you on domestic matters son,” Bertrada urged him after council one evening

“Yes yes, have your agents report to me in the morning,” the King distractedly replied, already fumbling to get out his maps and his planning table and start drawing up his war plans.

“I don’t mean the domestic matters in the kingdom Karloman, I mean matters within your own household.”

His mother’s use of his name caught his attention, he looked up, “Must we?” he sighed, “Very well, what do you have to say Mother?”

“It’s Gisela, your sister.”

“I know who she is Mother,” Karloman replied,

“Very funny,” Bertrada replied, without a flicker of a smile. “I wanted to talk to you about her.”

“What about?” he sighed, disliking this conversation already.

“She’s nearly of age,” Bertrada ventured, “Her bleeding has started and it’s time enough that she fulfil her duty to family and country.”

“If you’re so concerned, why don’t you arrange it?” The King asked, already feeling bored.

“Because Karloman,” his mother began in long-suffering tones, “You are the King! How would it look if I didn’t consult you in matters as important as these ones, yes,” she snarled as he began to yawn, “I know you find arranging marriages boring, but it must be done,”

“Fine,” Karloman replied placidly, “Any suggestions as to who?”

“I’ll have a list passed to you tomorrow and you can select the ones you deem suitable,” Bertrada replied, pleased she had gotten him to take the task seriously, “And while we’re at it, there is one more marriage issue we must discuss.”
“Whose?”

“Yours,” Bertrada replied “Now don’t sulk!” she hurried on as his face darkened, “I know Gerberga turned out poorly but that’s no reason not to try again. You have two children and only one son, if something happens to little Pepin…”

“It’s good to have a spare, is what you’re saying,” Karloman cut in,

“Not as bluntly as I would have put it, but yes.”

She waited, but her son did not speak,

“Do you have any preferences as to an ideal woman?”

“None,” he replied contentendly, “I am clay in your hands mother, arrange it as you will. Just try to make sure she’s not so stupid as to fall into the bed of the first pretty-faced cad who asks her to.”

“I’ll do my best son,” his mother replied, a wry smile touching the corner of her mouth.

774 anno domini

Karloman’s brief conflict with the Britons came and went, and he had humbled their petty lords into submission through force. It was in June 774 that married Sigalis, a pretty and pert little blonde woman from minor nobility. Her parents were overjoyed at the match, and the girl herself seemed to relish Karloman’s affections, distracted though they were. The King was not a man who overtly craved the pleasures of the flesh, his interactions in the marriage bed as cool and business-like and brisk as he preferred his battles to be. Not a man who displayed his soul easily, or his mind. A source of great distress to Sigalis, who yearned to be taken into her husband’s confidence.

“He won’t even talk to me!” the heavily pregnant Queen exclaimed to her new mother-in-law one afternoon as she knitted.

For Bertrada’s part, if Sigalis whined to Karloman as much as she did to her, then she could see why her son didn’t see fit to entrust her with his confidences.

“He’s just busy girl,” she replied soothingly, “Kings are busy men, and Karloman most of all. He doesn’t mean to discount you.”

“I am his wife! On what else could he be spending his time that is of such import?”

Bertrada sighed inwardly again, How to remind this fool of a girl that she’d better watch her tongue, or lose the head it sits in just like the last one did? My son would have her done away with the second it’s convenient of that I have no doubt, especially if she’s annoying him and a woman of better prospects comes along.

Hopefully Sigalis’s child would give her something to occupy her time, and remind Karloman of the dynastic value of his new bride…

But the King’s mind was far away from his own marriage, his Breton conquests now complete, his mind was already toiling towards the south, towards Italia, where welcome news had come from the Kingdom of the Lombards…

Pavia, Kingdom of Lombardy, September 774 anno domini

It was the turn of Adelchis, Prince of Lombardy to sit by his father’s bedside. King Desiderius was sick, and the ailing old man’s once formidable powers were flagging. The King who had held off the advance of the Frankish kings, aided by their perennial squabbling and disunity was at last starting to lose his grip.

As his youngest child and only son, Adelchis was all too aware of the weight of expectations. His youth and lack of any marriage connection worked against him. But his father’s wishes were paramount, he would succeed him.

But if he died too soon, Adelchis could not be sure how it would work out. For word had come barely months before from across the sea, from Iberia, the peninsula that laid occupied under the Moorish yoke, a gathering of the Christian lords there plotted dissent against their Umayyad rulers, appealing to Lombardy for support. Seeing an opportunity to gain some military experience, and a formidable position on the field, Adelchis had lobbied his father in the court to give him command. Seeing the sense in his son’s desire, Desiderius had accepted, but his own illness had struck only weeks later.

And now, for the first time in his young life, the prince faced a decision his father could not aid him with. Deep in his sleep, hovering upon the brink of death, the old king’s fate was in the hands of God now, but Adelchis’s fate was his own, and one throw of the dice could set him on a path to glory… or careening into an early grave.

To march to Spain and meet the troops there for the expedition? A dangerous travel across hostile terrain while his father lay ill, possibly dying? A chance that his father might die while he was away, leaving a capital with no heir and ambitious and power-hungry schemers to jostle for the crown. Could he be waylaid himself, leaving no heir to an aging Desiderius and a hungry and united Frankish crown ruled by the cruel butcher Karloman to the north? Word of the Blood Court of Saxony had repulsed the Lombard lords, rallied their flagging allegiances as Desiderius’s sickness had progressed. Anything was better than the cruelty under the yoke of Frankia, they had seemed to decide, but that fear would not hold them in sway for long.

What to do, and how to make it work? Adelchis knew the fate of his realm and family hung entirely upon him now…

• 1Love
Reactions:
Prince Adelchis is in a tough spot. What is the problem with the Blood Court? King Karloman just went with the idea first chances are to be treasured for second chances do not exist. Please watch the home front, my King as that is where you are the most vulnerable.

@Midnite Duke
Adelchis is a bit of a delicate soul. He'll need to harden up a bit if he's going to take on Karloman.

Reactions:
Poor Sigalis, I'm sure Karloman isn't the most affectionate husband what with all the blood courts and all. Here's hoping that her child brings her some happiness.
I'm very interested to see what the Lombards will end up doing, a fight with the Umayyads will not be easy but can bring some great rewards and a second front for the Franks to deal with.

Reactions:
@slothinator
Yeah, Karloman's married life takes an... interesting turn to say the least. I won't spoil it all for now but suffice to say there is a very unexpected turn that happens there later that has great bearing on future events.

And the Franks get approached for support in the Spanish rebellion as well, although how that plays out is yet to be seen. It may not end up being as simple as the Lombards or Franks think for now...

I'll have another post up tomorrow:_

Reactions: