Something needs to be done about the DDOS that is ruining eu4 mp.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For those unaware for the past few days, mp games have had their hosts ddosd relentlessly. Friends of mine who host on my server have had to set it up so their ip switches every day. The hackers get the hosts IP by joining the lobby and with the handshake getting the IP and no one can see it. They have joined private passworded lobbies as well and ddosd them too. It is really awful to have to deal with this and ruined many games.

This has been an issue for hoi4 for a while but now it's affecting eu4 which has much bigger lobbies. The only real solution we've found is to use nakama but no one is sure if they will be able to make a script for that too. Paradox needs to take better measures to protect their players and prevent them getting ddosd and their ip put on lists to ddos all the time for the sin of playing a map game.
I don't play multiplayer so I am noob at this. I get how ddos attack can ruin games. But how the .. are they getting in password protected lobbies that seem like huge problem. You should be careful what you put for password on those lobbies.

If their DDOS is targetting something with the paradox executable itself not processing packets correctly then no VPN or anything else is going to save you. And if all they need is your IP and they can get that from just seeing your lobby then no amount of privating or passwording would work.

Also no one should get their hopes up for Paradox ever being able to fix this issue, if it indeed is something that is a problem with the EU4 executable. The engine is simply absolute 100% swiss cheese. I know how to do far worse than DDOS, I've once (accidentally) made a mod that crashes the host's game. I'm like 80% sure that there are gaping holes that would allow an attacker to execute malware if they were actually trying.

Reactions:
Don't let shitty people into your games. It shouldn't be hard to figure out who the spastic 12 year old is.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that private lobbies with passwords aren't getting wrecked too.

I'm like 80% sure that there are gaping holes that would allow an attacker to execute malware if they were actually trying.
If true, it's starts to get into legal action territory. Not just against hackers, but also against Pdox. Offering MP with unintentional backdoors to customers is at least legally grey...

Reactions:
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that private lobbies with passwords aren't getting wrecked too.
Depends. I assume that people are playing with (man-)children and then one of them gets pissed and starts targetting the game for wrecking, which continues even after they start making the lobby private. Posts here seem to suggest that this is actually indiscriminant wrecking of every game that is getting hosted for EU4 by anyone anywhere, which I can definitely say hasn't happened to me yet.

Reactions:
Depends. I assume that people are playing with (man-)children and then one of them gets pissed and starts targetting the game for wrecking, which continues even after they start making the lobby private. Posts here seem to suggest that this is actually indiscriminant wrecking of every game that is getting hosted for EU4 by anyone anywhere, which I can definitely say hasn't happened to me yet.
From what I've heard on HOI 4 boards, the complaints are indiscriminate there too. I think even tiny lobbies among a couple friends are getting nuked? It might well be man-children, but probably not the people in such games.

It would be a bit weird for someone to spend their free time for weeks just to wreck lobbies of people they don't even know.
Isn't it possible in principle to program/script these kinds of attacks to happen automatically, given they're indiscriminate? I've never really looked into doing this, because it's some bizarre spiteful stuff and illegal. But I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to automate just picking whatever game is at the top of some list and then executing the same kind of attack repeatedly, if you can do this kind of attack in the first place.

Isn't it possible in principle to program/script these kinds of attacks to happen automatically, given they're indiscriminate? I've never really looked into doing this, because it's some bizarre spiteful stuff and illegal. But I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to automate just picking whatever game is at the top of some list and then executing the same kind of attack repeatedly, if you can do this kind of attack in the first place.

Oh yes, that's entirely possible. Anything that can be done manually with a computer can be automated, in fact if it works as some have described in this thread then you should easily be able to do it to all lobbies at the same time. It's just that, psychologically, it'd be unusual for someone to have the motive of screwing over random games that they aren't even in. Usually the motive is either retribution against a specific group of players for something they did, or to troll anonymously to get an effect out of the person you are screwing over (e.g. seeing/hearing them on voice getting pissed off).

Also for what it's worth I'm hosting a public lobby now with a 2nd instance joined and it's been going fine for the past 10 minutes. I'll leave it on for an hour and see if anything happens. If not then I'm guessing the attacks aren't actually automated/indiscriminate and instead you've got someone in your discord/steam group/etc whose trying to be funny.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Also for what it's worth I'm hosting a public lobby now with a 2nd instance joined and it's been going fine for the past 10 minutes. I'll leave it on for an hour and see if anything happens. If not then I'm guessing the attacks aren't actually automated/indiscriminate and instead you've got someone in your discord/steam group/etc whose trying to be funny.
I'm not directly affected by this. The reason it was on my radar is the same reason you describe: massed indiscriminate attacks of this nature are unusual, yet I've seen it described as such multiple times. So if that is actually what's happening, it's more novel/would generate more discussion.