• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Topei

Recruit
32 Badges
Mar 27, 2022
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Is it possible to be softlocked by running out of wood???

So i tried the game while it was free on the weekend. *(nice game btw)*, and I expanded outwards with scouting towers and harvested the scrap wood I saw. I continued to do so till I used all my wood stored. So I'm thinking: "Hm. i should've made the loggers shack thingie. I don't have wood to make one now. No problem. I will demolish something to get some wood to make it."

Apparently this isn't possible? I demolished a building but seemed to not get any wood back. So now I am stuck in a position where all scrap wood in my territory is already taken, I have no wood to make the buildings to chop trees or process them, even though i researched a method to trade with a neighboring society I dont have the wood to make the trading post!

Is that a surprise? The very same could happen in simpler games like Settlers or Cultures, too. You can´t build with what you do not have. And in the scenario at hand everything is scarce and limited.

It is indeed possible to softlock your colony with certain decisions. We've tried making safeguards against it like the Campsite being free as ellacharmed mentioned and the stockpile taking only very little resources to construct. Later on the base buildings that gather metal don't require it themselves, and same with concrete. You do get some of the construction resources back once you demolish a building and it can help if you're just shy of a few units.

And thanks for checking StA over the free weekend, Topei!

• 1Like
Reactions: