So fellow language lovers...what language are you gonna push on everyone's courts?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Azhcristokos

Emperor of Greater Michigan
91 Badges
Oct 30, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
I really think it'd be lovely to have a Europe where Irish is spoken in every court, not just that of the Empire of Britannia. Or maybe Greek becomes the court language of Western Europe, or instead Occitan triumphs over French. Perhaps some obscure variety of Turkic could replace Persian as the lingua franca of the Iranian Plateau. So many possibilities.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm going to teach all my subjects C++ in the hopes that the AI can then fix itself. Maybe it will even become self-aware and program its own DLC featuring the invasion of SkyNet.

• 39Haha
  • 16Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Swiss-German if it would exist.
I would also like to start something unrealistic like as a han-chinese somewhere in Europe and then spread the language across.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Occitan of course! :cool:
(and I hope occitan culture will be better classified => not in the "frankish group" separated from catalan and aragonese...)

• 3Like
Reactions:
If i had to start my ismailite Poland run from the beginning, it would be probably polish-arabic culture with language being polish but with heavy arabic influences coming from religion (just like irl polish has heavy latin influence).
But i did conquered every single clay in that run and don't want to repeat it.
So probably welsh, so that as much lands as possible got renamed to such friendly-sounding names as Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Occitan of course! :cool:
(and I hope occitan culture will be better classified => not in the "frankish group" separated from catalan and aragonese...)

Shoooot, I totally forgot that Occitan might well share a language with French...I see the justification for it, but that'd be a minor bummer.

Is there actually any way to influence the language of other courts, or do you just have to do your best to be really grand and hope the AI decides to join you?

Is there actually any way to influence the language of other courts, or do you just have to do your best to be really grand and hope the AI decides to join you?
Would you consider a full-scale invasion and replacing a neighbouring monarch with one of your children 'influence'?

• 5Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
just gonna force all the english courts to use proper irish for their daily business. rest of the world? i dunno they can learn french if they want. But the british isles are going to be speaking more irish than ireland

• 4Like
Reactions:
Does that actually change the court language?

I think it would encourage it as you gain a bonus to court grandeur for using your native language in court. Though it also depends on whether courts are attached to characters or titles, which I'm not sure about.

Well I can't imagine PDX doing that !!!

We've already seen a lot of abstraction going on in some weird ways. For example, you gain a bonus to learning languages that belong to your "heritage," but there is no level above that for language families, so theoretically a French speaker will have as much difficulty learning Spanish as a Russian speaker does (all else being equal). So Occitan might be subsumed under French.

It's possible that some modders may rise to add some more diversity to the table. Not sure. RC's release is a while out yet.

We've already seen a lot of abstraction going on in some weird ways. For example, you gain a bonus to learning languages that belong to your "heritage," but there is no level above that for language families, so theoretically a French speaker will have as much difficulty learning Spanish as a Russian speaker does (all else being equal). So Occitan might be subsumed under French.
Well, occitan was a common language to occitan, catalan and aragonese cultures at that time, so I can't see how they would model that. And it was used all over Europe for arts. So I really can't imagine them replacing it by french (which isn't even part of the same language family). I suppose mods will be needed again if they get things wrong...

Last edited:
I'm going to teach all my subjects C++ in the hopes that the AI can then fix itself. Maybe it will even become self-aware and program its own DLC featuring the invasion of SkyNet.
At least teach them C#. You might need to work up to it, though. Start them with BASIC and then progress up over time. :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well, occitan was a common language to occitan, catalan and aragonese cultures at that time, so I can't see how they would model that. And it was used all over Europe for arts. So I really can't imagine them replacing it by french (which isn't even part of the same language family). I suppose mods will be needed again if they get things wrong...

Yes, also my thought. It'd be very weird to have "French" as the court language in northeastern Iberia...but then again, we've already got a split in the Slavic languages during a period when Common Slavic was still a thing (because they're not modeling language shifts).