Silliest thing CO did in this game.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Beer Fiend

Better to have a keg than a six-pack
36 Badges
Apr 28, 2017
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
Well, this game is pretty much in a finished state now, so go on, a thread about the silliest thing CO did in THIS GAME (yes we know the sequel turned out awful, no need to bring this up!)

My nomination is highway bus lanes being on the fast lane rather than the outside lane allowing for easy-on, easy-off routes. Second place would be blimps as a mass transit option.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Having shopping malls / government buildings / parking lots / etc all be parks instead of doing their intended function. I love when people fly into my city to visit the parking lot.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That seniors are still unemployed instead of retired.

1712695213393.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Having to babysit your cemeteries and garbage dumps. You can close a cemetery to new plots but still leave it running. The game treats them like a backed up toilet. Similarly you should be able to make deals for your garbage. Like auto export it to another city, or auto empty it out to the burner buildings. No need to babysit.

The commercial and industry buildings popping up randomly and not being things that actually need to be there. Like when your new starter city has a single row of petfood stores for your entire commercial. I like the idea that my town is just a road out in the middle of nowhere, 100 miles from anywhere, and it's just a block of houses and 3 pet food stores.

There should have been an intelligence to what buildings spawned, based on a bunch of criteria like what needs have to be met, how many similar businesses of that type are nearby, and what street type they are zoned off of AND where in that street. Like gas stations are usually on the corner of a busy street, but they aren't likely to spawn on a small street surrounded by residential. That's a for a corner store or a coffee shop or something. It's very unlikely to spawn a gas station on the opposite corner of another gas station.

So there are priorities. When you start your new city you need the essentials.
High priority: Gas station, Grocery Store, Pharmacy, Clothing store, furniture store, plumbing and things of that nature
Medium priority: Corner stores, bars restaurants, entertainment, recreation, hair salon,
Lowest : Any kind Specialty retail, like pet supplies, cultural merchandise, souvenir shops, flower shop

So when a commercial building goes to spawn, it consults a chart and looks at the surrounding areas to make an intelligent decision. Are you on the corner of a wide road? Do you need gas/groceries etc... Spawn as needed. These places also don't fail unless competition spawns in.

Do you have room for 3 commercial zones in the middle of this residential neighbourhood, and your "must haves" are already met? What's quiet? You get a coffee shop, a flower shop, and cultural clothing store.

Is this a tourist area? Are there other souvenir shops nearby? Is the market oversaturated? No? Here you go. After that it's recreational and bars/restaurants. Maybe high end clothing.

Obviously you don't spawn a hair salon or a bridal/tuxedeo shop on the corner of the industrial block. It's just workers coming and going. You need places to eat lunch. A work clothes store. Maybe some hardware stores and equipment rentals. Contractors. Repair shops.

I think I made my point. Instead of this we just get random businesses pulled out of a hat that rarely fit their surroundings.

Reactions:
You want a train station?

Here, have the equivalent of grand central.

• 1Like
Reactions: