• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(136365)

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Mar 2, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Pillars of Eternity
As everyone knows founding a new empire via Intrigue decision requires 8k prestige, 3 kingdoms and 1k money (plus other "minor" requirements), while creating an empire with the traditional option is way less demanding in terms of piety and money. So my question is what is the benefit in choosing the first option to create an Empire? Why trying to achieve such huge prestige amount while I can do it faster in the other way?

You get to keep your kingdoms flag... that's pretty much it. Yes it's a lot easier to simply form an empire that already exists, but it's fun to upgrade countries that really have no empire counterpart or ones that are hard to form to begin with, like Israel or The Fylkirate. It's an extra challenge that I find more satisfying then forming the usual empires.

A custom empire requires as little as three provinces. The Arabian Empire requires 100. Special creation requirements may also get in the way or circumstances may have caused you to have chunks of several de jure empires, but are far from getting 80% of any one of them. The empire you're in may already be created and held by someone with a different religion, which means you'd have to hold the hole thing to usurp it.

I have a counter question. Why not?

Personally I have done it once, probably won't do it again. The option to use it though is nice.

It could however be useful if another realm has the title, and you can not usurp it because of requirements. So you can then create a counter empire to fight against it, rather than as a large kingdom.

A custom empire requires as little as three provinces. The Arabian Empire requires 100. Special creation requirements may also get in the way or circumstances may have caused you to have chunks of several de jure empires, but are far from getting 80% of any one of them. The empire you're in may already be created and held by someone with a different religion, which means you'd have to hold the hole thing to usurp it.

You need a realm size of 180. You can not form a new empire with 3 provinces.

It also allows you to form an empire where you otherwise could not despite being a multikingdom.

For example, assuming a 769 start, you end up king of Navarra (Hispania), Aragon (Hispania), and inherit Aquitaine (Francia). You own quite a substantial amount of land, but you're split between two empires. Hispania's a long way off, and Francia would require significant further gains at the expense of the Karlings to form.

You could instead eat the penalty and create an Empire of Aquitaine/Navarra/Aragon.

This has the additional benefit that if the Karlings DO form Francia later, Aquitaine won't be de jure Francia anymore, thus they can't come after you for it as easily once the claimants die out.

You need a realm size of 180. You can not form a new empire with 3 provinces.

The was waived in a patch because people complained they couldn't form empires with only tribal counties. Now you only need either three king titles or 180 realm size, not both. So you start as Amalfi, fabricate claims on Genoa and Venice, form the custom Kingdom of Amalfi, then form the Empire of whichever. You can alternatively use Man or Gotland. Technically you only need one holding as long as you hold the king titles and have the prestige.

so if I understand correctly e.g. as Kingdom of Wallachia if I found a new empire with special decision shall I become empire of Wallachia?

Yes.

That is so soft. I didn't realise they changed it. It sort of removes the accomplishment if you only need to create 3 kingdoms.

Surely you are not suggesting the imperial dignity should not be worn by some backwater bog king?

That is so soft. I didn't realise they changed it. It sort of removes the accomplishment if you only need to create 3 kingdoms.

You also need a metric f*ckton of prestige and some cash.