Shattered Army mechanic is unbelievably frustrating.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To everyone complaining about it beeing too hard to pursue enemy armies, that's the point of the system. It shouldn't be easy to annihilate your enemy's army. That just didn't happen very much in the eu timeframe. The offensive strategy now is obviously slowly advancing your siege armies, guarded by one or two major armies, and fighting off the enemy army on each counter-attack.

What needs to be fixed is, that the ai attacks again without much of an effort to regroup and take the advantage. Too often it attacks when it's army isn't back to full morale yet, not to mention undermanned.
Hard? It is too easy to annihilate the enemy, all you have to do is use forced march and pursue them until they are dead.

Hard? It is too easy to annihilate the enemy, all you have to do is use forced march and pursue them until they are dead.

Did it occur to you that not every nation has forced march idea or that by the time some armies have retreated to it's home province their morale has recovered enough to evade you or at least avoid being annihilated?

I defeated an English army in Fife ( Scotland) they retreated to London I was a couple days behind them When I reached London they had already regrouped and left. Perhaps their leader had manoeuvre ability, who knows? I had to beat them again just to get enough warscore to get them to concede defeat. I caught them a couple of provinces away, I beat them and this time they retreated to Ayrshire where they had won a siege!! I had to go all the way back to Scotland. All the time this was costing 22 a month because I was over my force limit. I still couldn't peace out so I was basically being bankrupt even though I'd smashed their whole army twice. things need tweaked.

Well I guess forced march could be used to increase your odds of catching up to a fleeing army but it should not, it was never used in such a way as to pursue an army to their capitol during that time period in western europe. I guess it is somewhat comforting to know it is not a sure way to evade a very good feature some people just don't "like".

I think people are so used to gaming the system in EU3 they are experiencing culture shock with the new system. I like it a lot and feel it aids immersion BUT needs tweaking to avoid moving vast distances before pausing to regroup. If the capital is within a few provinces, fine. But I had a stack retreat from Northern Brazil to Rio de la Plata, which seemed just plain weird.

Ideally shattered armies would use a HOI/Vicky like mechanism where they are returned to the pool of undeployed troops and will need to be rebuild (but free).

Definitely for shattered armies that are caught and wiped.

I really like this feature. I played about 100 hours so far, and it's frustrating just the right amount. Plus, I like that fact that if you chase them too far, they can very well turn back on you and make YOU retreat. Feels perfectly logical. You're in enemy territory, after all.

If you don't want it happening, take the Quality idea. That bonus to morale replenishment is better than forced march, imho.

Edit : what I'd love though is the ability to follow a fleeing army automatically. Checking directions and pausing each time does get old.

I really like this feature. I played about 100 hours so far, and it's frustrating just the right amount. Plus, I like that fact that if you chase them too far, they can very well turn back on you and make YOU retreat. Feels perfectly logical. You're in enemy territory, after all.

If you don't want it happening, take the Quality idea. That bonus to morale replenishment is better than forced march, imho.

Edit : what I'd love though is the ability to follow a fleeing army automatically. Checking directions and pausing each time does get old.

Zoom in and hover your mouse over that white flag a fleeing army has. It'll tell you that army's destination, not just the next province it's going to.

They can't do that. At least not in my experience as Venice fighting the Ottomans.
Yes they can.
I'm looking RIGHT NOW at an Ottoman army passing through TWO provinces with my own stacks.

Shatter is a good mechanic in theory, but the problem is that its implementation makes it often more of a HELP than a hindrance for the one on the receiving end, which is bogus and contrary to what it should ; a shattered army is actually a better thing in many cases than a simply defeated one - it's faster and it's invincible until it's reached its end point.

Nothing is as infuriating as surrounding an army that has been ping-ponging you insane, just to see it passing through your troops without even slowing down...

Think of them as not being a cohesive force any more just individuals making their best way to escape your forces. You can't kill everyone in an opposing Army most of the time.

It would be more realistic if that when you "wiped out" an enemy stack the enemy country would get 1/4-1/3 of the manpower lost returned to MP Pool.

If that is the case, The Shattered Army should NOT get any morale or reinforcement until stopped and in Friendly Territory.

You can catch these Armies of then times if your Army get to next Province first and it got just enough morale to end its "Shattering".

Blocking off the retreat of the troops in the EU4 timeframe is not realistic, the mechanic makes that impossible to do even if you try. Therefor it is far more realistic than what you guys want.

Think of them as not being a cohesive force any more just individuals making their best way to escape your forces. You can't kill everyone in an opposing Army most of the time.
In this case they should suffer from huge attrition (deserters from a broken army) and not get their morale back until they stop in a friendly province.
As it is for now, it's just a temporary godmode.

I like the system, I find it challenging. What's the point of the game when you can annihilate the enemy forces with one quick strike? That'd be easy and boring. Sure, I get pissed but it makes the game harder and thus more fun to play.

Besides, realistically, is it possible to kill off an army completely? Every single man? What I'd actually prefer is if the armies wouldn't be really limited to their own territory (Ooh, I'm getting chased by a Mongol army but noo, I can't cross the border, I prefer staying here and dying -.-). The system pisses me off, often brings me to tears and makes me scream, but... it's better.

Besides, realistically, is it possible to kill off an army completely? Every single man?

No but they would throw down their weapons and surrender if it got close to that. I think of destroying a stack in PDS games not as "you killed every last man" but "you beat them so badly that the rest surrendered or at least have no more will to fight when they've seen so many of their compatriots get slaughtered."