setting up the east indian trading route for britain?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

aaron502

Private
37 Badges
Aug 25, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • The Showdown Effect
having a spot of bother trying to set up a trade route back to my homeland in england. i either need 8 merchants to tranfer all the way back to london. or im doing something wrong. can any players shed some light on how to do this?. when i try and transfer trade power downstream i just end up at the venice end node anyway.

*edit*

i have colonies on the southern cost of india in the ceylon trade node

Put them in the correct trade node and make sure to click (in trade mode screen) to the line in which you want to steer the trade.

Make sure to regularly check it, for whatever reason my merchants find it funny to steer trade in random directions every now and again.

having a spot of bother trying to set up a trade route back to my homeland in england. i either need 8 merchants to tranfer all the way back to london. or im doing something wrong. can any players shed some light on how to do this?. when i try and transfer trade power downstream i just end up at the venice end node anyway.

*edit*

i have colonies on the southern cost of india in the ceylon trade node

i think like this...

indus to aden
aden to zanzibar
ivory coast to caribbean
caribbean to chesapeak
chesapeak to london

5 merchants to steer, another one in london to collect

yes i see what you mean. but my silly inbred swine of merchants seem to want to steer my trade into venice instead of around africa. how do i make them see the light?

Look at the trade routes coming out of a node. They have a little box, and under this box there is a grey arrow. Click the arrow.

If it's too hard to get it all the way home, just send it to the Cape (which is easy to monopolise) and collect there.

Except that what is shown in that picture is impossible. There is no way the AI is going to use that many merchants to conveniently steer trade in your direction. They mostly collect.
Unless it's a mp match and you agree with every other player to do that.

He's neither cheating nor playing in MP. The save file is right there. Download it if you don't believe.

He's neither cheating nor playing in MP. The save file is right there. Download it if you don't believe.

Who said anything about cheating? Are you dreaming?
I merely said that's impossible if the AI doesn't convenently steer your way. Which in my game doesn't happend. They, of course, collect. Because their bloody capital is in there.

Who said anything about cheating? Are you dreaming?
I merely said that's impossible if the AI doesn't convenently steer your way. Which in my game doesn't happend. They, of course, collect. Because their bloody capital is in there.

"Except that what is shown in that picture is impossible. There is no way the AI is going to use that many merchants to conveniently steer trade in your direction. They mostly collect.
Unless it's a mp match and you agree with every other player to do that. "

In terms of setting a record trade income, I'd consider an mp match where everyone agrees to help falsify the numbers to be cheating. I'd also say calling something "impossible" to also imply cheating. I just pinched myself, pretty sure I'm awake.

"Except that what is shown in that picture is impossible. There is no way the AI is going to use that many merchants to conveniently steer trade in your direction. They mostly collect.
Unless it's a mp match and you agree with every other player to do that. "

In terms of setting a record trade income, I'd consider an mp match where everyone agrees to help falsify the numbers to be cheating. I'd also say calling something "impossible" to also imply cheating. I just pinched myself, pretty sure I'm awake.

You assume too much. Working together to reach that income isn't "falsifying" anything.

"There is no way the AI is going to use that many merchants to conveniently steer trade in your direction. They mostly collect."

Try this yourself and tell me how it goes.

You assume too much. Working together to reach that income isn't "falsifying" anything.

"There is no way the AI is going to use that many merchants to conveniently steer trade in your direction. They mostly collect."

Try this yourself and tell me how it goes.
I don't agree. Using exaggerated language like "impossible" is a terrible way to discuss a topic. His comment was warranted as my reaction was exactly the same. You definitely came off as if you were accusing the guy of cheating.

You assume too much.

Go ahead and list my false assumptions.

I'll start by listing yours:
1. "Except that what is shown in that picture is impossible."
Wrong.
2. "There is no way the AI is going to use that many merchants to conveniently steer trade in your direction."
Partially wrong, as you don't need -that- many extra merchants steering to see the result, and you still see lots of steering at end-game as long as your upstream from an AI capital.
3. "Unless it's a mp match and you agree with every other player to do that."
Wrong.

Okay, your turn.

But the point is to create as many connections as you can so each time you get a boost in steering.
No, the point is to make as much money as you can at any given time. If you don't have enough merchants, or don't control enough provinces to use as patrol bases, to get the trade all the way back home, just collect it wherever you can make as much as possible.

Also, if you do bring the trade all the way back to London, you are likely to lose some to competitors along the way, and some more to merchants from Antwerp at the very end. Even if they are only getting a relatively small share, thanks to all those multipliers by doing this you are making some competitors very rich! Collect at the Cape, and probably no one else in Europe will see a penny of it.