Selectable research focus (for alternatives)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LameFox

Corporal
36 Badges
Aug 6, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
I don't know if it's the changes to research rate, or just the sheer amount of stuff to research now, but I find myself increasingly hitting a plateau with not getting some important techs and sitting in game for decades waiting to see if they ever appear.

In my current game I've basically got an empire of people who can't figure out how to grow food. It just never comes up. I keep selecting things that seem related (or just quick, to get them out of the way) in my society research but I've just not even got the basic hydroponic farm yet and this is ridiculous. I'm 72 years into the game, I should not be getting locked out of basic economic tech by RNG. I can't even go to war and get wreckage for this so there just does not appear to be a way to fix it except rolling the dice over and over and over. I have had bad luck with planets to grow food on too so I'm just buying my way out of starvation as I wait for this tech.

Since we don't have individual researchers to tie it to anymore, I propose that there should be an optional 'focus' that lets you choose an area of expertise to prioritize. This wouldn't give you any speed benefit to the actual research but would weight your research alternatives toward that field so you are less likely to get completely screwed in essential areas.

edit: for the record I had three scientists on my council and never got the specialization I needed, those are just way too few and far between to make a meaningful difference to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: