• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Lecture

Civil War in Wielkopolska

gifwielkopolskiemaly.gif

Towns and castles of Wielkopolska

Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan, Present day.

“…Louis Angevin was called Great in Hungary but in Poland he did not earn to be nicknamed as great ruler, in fact he made a series of mistakes, especially if it was coming to choosing his representatives, granting offices and privileges. Sadly, as he was a rare guest in Poland, the most important qualities for him was loyalty above everything (as he was obsessed with the thought that Polish nobles will “unhorse” him from the polish throne).

One of such mistakes was appointing Domarat of Pierzchno and Iwno the starost of Wielkopolska. The new starost was indeed loyal, like a dog to his master, alas he did not possessed any other qualities. Soon, he started filling other offices in Wielkopolska with his family members, starting from sons to cousins and sons-in-law, nepotism in its purest version, in the scale rarely witnessed even in the Middle Ages. This naturally caused unrest among the old noble houses of Wielkopolska. The worst was to come though, the entire province was slowly drowning in chaos caused by corruption and neglecting his duties as starost. Nobles demanded to remove him from the office but king Louis remained deaf to these pleas, besides, soon the news of his death reached Wielkopolska.

This event was the spark which ignited the powder keg. More and more nobles were demanding from starost to step down. Finally, in the middle of October, voivode of Poznań, Wincęty z Kępy herbu Doliwa, well respected baron, started an uprising against the starost. This event overlapped the other, that is the question of inheritance in Poland.

A certain baron, Bartosz z Odolanowa, well known “troublemaker”, who considered himself a great patriot and always despised the foreign king on Polish throne, wanted to restore there the ancient Piast house whose branch lived in the duchy in Mazovia. After hearing of Louis death he immediately swore oath of fealty to Duke Ziemowit IV of Mazovia and started his campaign to promote him as the next Polish king. Soon, he was followed by others. In order to expand the faction they had to deal with Domarat, starost of Wielkopolska. The hatred toward corrupted starost made voivode Wincęty z Kępy and Bartosz z Odolanowa ally (even though Wincęty and his followers were rather pro-Angevin). Naturally, Domarat did not want to surrender, he had the support of his large family and occupied the key towns and castles in Wielkopolska. He also counted on either Hungarian or Luxemburgian help.

Only the winter stopped two hostile parties from major bloodshed, still, it didn’t stop them from preparations, besides, the winter of 1382-3 was not perticulary harsh, this allowed for some armed actions.

Few nobles from Wielkopolska participated in meetings in Radomsk and Wiślica, they had their own problems and feuds. In December, blood stained the white snow in Wielkopolska…”

Out of the darkness, a mounted figure emerged, flanked by two others. Upon the middle horse rode Vytautas Gediminaicis, cousin of Jogaila Grand Duke of Lithuania, wearing a face of utter exhaustion. He looked out upon the black night of the rich little region of Malopolska. Having to avoid any possibility of being stopped at a river crossing, he had headed towards the closest supporter of Hedwige, the as yet unmarried heiress to the Polish throne. He had ridden practically alongside the Carpathians themselves, now riding through Sandomierz, searching for the home of Jasko z Teczyna, starost of Ruthenia.

His two companions, Aldronius Virguntas and Saulius Bucevicius, had ridden all the way from Wilno with him. While they did slow him down, he was very grateful for their presence. He was known as a great warrior, but then again, he had failed to outsmart his cousin once and it could very well happen a second time. The two had served him well during the rebellion and while it had failed, there was now some, if still not very much, knowledge of Vytautas in the surrounding regions and most certainly of his rather marred martial prowess.

Having no success finding any buildings of any significance, Vytautas directed his horse towards where he thought a road or path might be. Of course this was practically blind judgement, as he had been off the road since Pinsk. Still, Vytautas carried it through with the confidence of a gourmand about to plunge his face into a fresh deer carcass.

After hours of silent riding, Vytautas finally spoke, "Well my friends, it appears as though we're lost." He was met with complete silence. Whirling his horse around, Vytautas saw his stone-like comrades staring off to their right side at a gathering of some watchmen. Vytautas had ridden straight up to the castle of Teczyna both undetected and unknowing. Hopefully the watchmen did not notice them and they could sneak in to see the Duke unbeknowst to anyone else. As they made their way to the castle gate they realized this would be impossible. Therefore, keeping his hood up, Vytautas asked for entry into the castle as he approached the gate.

Last edited:
The dinner with the Starost was pleasant enough, even though there was a certain desperation to the man that was unsettling. Once over Garai thanked him for his hospitality, and then told him he had other pressing concerns in Poland that he needed to attend to. Before leaving he did once again assure the Starost that a report about the situation would be sent to Buda immediately.

Civil War in Wielkopolska
Chapter 1: Bloody December

forest read near Kalisz, early December, Anno Domini 1382.

zimabscap190.jpg

Only a day after the Hungarian envoy left the twon of Kalisz, first detachments of mercenary cavalry were slowly approaching Kalisz from the north east. Normally, campaigning during winter would be a suicide but Bartosz z Odolanowa and Wincęty z Kęp knew what they were up to. First of all winter was not very harsh this December, secondly most of the countryside was supporting the enemies of starost so that they did not have to worry about supplies and alike. They wanted to strike like lightning, possibly taking Kalisz by surprise and should it fail, they were ready to block and besiege the walls. So far they secured some minor keeps on their way, trying not to alert Domarat in Kalisz.

Alas, the starost has proven to be a tough nut to crack, his paranoia paid off quite well. The first, sudden assault failed. Kalisz was not to be taken easily. The attackers has little choice now, all they could do was to block Kalisz and pray God Almighty for favour.​

Chapter 2: Relief of Kalisz

Christmas and New Year Eve passed without much action, even though the winter was still allowing military actions. Polish nobles, being devout Catholics suspended any warfare for this time, many lords even returned to their homes all around Wielkopolska. Regardless their affiliation they often even visited one another for feasts and parties. The blockade of Kalisz was in name only, continued by no more than 300 mercenaries hired by the Piast of Mazovia.

However, the time so blissfully wasted in the late December was cunningly used by Domarat and his allies. January began with numerous skirmishes and fights, nobles started to wear colours, red was the colour of insurgents wheras yellow was the colour of starost. It turned out that Domarat managed to acquire the support of powerful ally. Duke Władysław Opolczyk decided to intervene on his behalf, hoping to get some spoils and possibly win favor in Bohemian and Hungarian courts.

On 15th of Januray, Bartosz and Wincęty were forced to lift the siege of Kalisz and retreat without giving the relieving forces a battle. Domarat soon ordered his troops to spread across the lands near Kalisz, retaking all of his lost keeps and castles. His forces were growing as the more reserved and distant members of his family finally began to respond to his call. It would appear that the starost was gaining an upper hand in Wielkopolska.​

Chapter 3: Burghers of Poznań

Poznan_ratusz.jpg

City Hall in Poznań

As it was said before, Domarat forces began to regain the lost lands and started to press the insurgents in return. Duke of Mazovia was unable to help his supporters as it turned out that he had to face opposition within his own domain as his closest family was no so sure about his ambitions.

Yet, as it sometimes happen in history, help came from unexpected side. On 18th of January, the burgers of Poznań overthrown the officer appointed by Domarat (it was said that he raped one of the merchants daughters) and imprisoned all his supporters in Poznań. With the help of few nobles Poznanians attacked and pillaged Domarat’s fiefs in Pierzchno and Kromalice.

The forces of both warring parties seemed even again, both factions were sure to prevail upon the other. The clash of arms seemed inevitable now, the fights intensified, the skirmishes were becoming bigger. The following weeks were to indicate who was to win the campaign.​

Sterkarm said:
Out of the darkness, a mounted figure emerged, flanked by two others. Upon the middle horse rode Vytautas Gediminaicis, cousin of Jogaila Grand Duke of Lithuania, wearing a face of utter exhaustion. He looked out upon the black night of the rich little region of Malopolska. Having to avoid any possibility of being stopped at a river crossing, he had headed towards the closest supporter of Hedwige, the as yet unmarried heiress to the Polish throne. He had ridden practically alongside the Carpathians themselves, now riding through Sandomierz, searching for the home of Jasko z Teczyna, starost of Ruthenia.

His two companions, Aldronius Virguntas and Saulius Bucevicius, had ridden all the way from Wilno with him. While they did slow him down, he was very grateful for their presence. He was known as a great warrior, but then again, he had failed to outsmart his cousin once and it could very well happen a second time. The two had served him well during the rebellion and while it had failed, there was now some, if still not very much, knowledge of Vytautas in the surrounding regions and most certainly of his rather marred martial prowess.

Having no success finding any buildings of any significance, Vytautas directed his horse towards where he thought a road or path might be. Of course this was practically blind judgement, as he had been off the road since Pinsk. Still, Vytautas carried it through with the confidence of a gourmand about to plunge his face into a fresh deer carcass.

After hours of silent riding, Vytautas finally spoke, "Well my friends, it appears as though we're lost." He was met with complete silence. Whirling his horse around, Vytautas saw his stone-like comrades staring off to their right side at a gathering of some watchmen. Vytautas had ridden straight up to the castle of Teczyna both undetected and unknowing. Hopefully the watchmen did not notice them and they could sneak in to see the Duke unbeknowst to anyone else. As they made their way to the castle gate they realized this would be impossible. Therefore, keeping his hood up, Vytautas asked for entry into the castle as he approached the gate.

tn_witoldprzybywa214.jpg

Vytautas arrives in Tęczyn

The guards have approached the riders with torches lit and crossbows ready to release deadly bolts. “Better safe than sorry” whispered Maćko to his companion.

The raiders looked impressive “They must be boyars from eastern Ruthenia, perhaps even Lithuania.” thought Maćko.

“Welcome in Tęczyn milord.” he said and lowered his crossbow. ”My I ask your name sire and purpose of your visit?”

Aldronius nudged his horse forward, saying, "My name is Aldronius Virguntas and these are my two servants. I am a diplomat of Grand Duke Jogaila, sent here to discuss with Jasko z Teczyna the present situation of the heir to the Polish throne. Also, I was hoping to discuss the possibility of an alliance against the Tatars and/or the Teutonic Knights. May I speak with Jasko?" All the while Vytautas was quaking with anger at Aldronius referring to him as a servant. No matter what the reason, he would not accept such a derogatory term to be used when speaking of him.

The guards bowed before the Lithuanians. Something was not right though, Maćko could swear that the other rider should be the leader here, still he repiled.

"Milord, I will forward your wishes to my master immiedately, now, please enter the keep. Your horses will be taken care of immiedately, drinks and food shall be served as well."

*****​

After refreshing themselves, Lithuanian lords have been invited to the late dinner where they were promised to meet the starost. And so they did. Jaśko welcomed the unexpected guests hospitably, he ordered to bring the best mead and beer from the cellar. Flanked by his two sons, the scribe, the butler and master of the hunt he bowed gently before the Liths.

"Welcome in Tęczyn, I am Jaśko, starost of Ruthenia and overlord of this fine keep and town. Even though both in Poland and Lithuania we suffer chaos and disorder the nobles of both realms should meet and talk, working to the good of their houses and realms."

"I... am Vytautas Gediminaicis," said the rather arrogant Lithuanian prince. "Tonight I have come to you proposing an alliance between Lithuania and Poland, in exchange for Polish military support for a Lithuania ruled by me, not Jogaila. Also, you yourself will receive the land of Volhynia if I am allowed to marry Jadwiga or Maria. You would benefit greatly from a friendly Lithuania with a strong, competent leader at its head. I would be able to crush the overzealous fools along the Baltic with Poland's help. Surely having a leader such as I in Poland would end this disastrous lawlessness which has mired Poland in a swamp of weakness." At this, Vytautas took a swig of beer, thinking about what he would say next; he hadn't thought the Starost would allow him to get this far.

"The only way to solve the current problems in both our countries is to eliminate our enemies quickly and swiftly. First we must move on Lithuania and oust my cousin, Jogaila, before he can solidify his followers. Then once I rule in Lithuania I can bring forces west to end the uprisings in Wielkopolska. I shall then take up my throne in Krakow and rule both Poland and Lithuania from there. Will you accept the offer?"

Taking another drink, Vytautas glanced out the small window in the room. He could see a rather large company approaching. He couldn't identify any of the people, but he could see the banner that flew over the gathering--Lithuanian. Jogaila was the first thought in Vytautas's mind and it began racing. He waited very impatiently and nervously for the Starost's answer, for if it was hostile, the Starost would doubtfully protect him or hide him. But if it was friendly Jogaila may die on the floor right here.

Meeting with Vytautas

Early February, Tęczyn on the border with Ruthenia.

Jaśko’s jaw dropped in amazement and surprise. ”So this is the famous Lith? He certainly looks regal enough for me. Though this rage and pride in his eyes…” starost sighed unsure what to say, instead he pondered more in his mind. ”He has a lot of nerve, coming here, promising things he doesn’t even hold… he sipped some mead and spoke up, carefully choosing the wording.

”Your Grace, I am honoured to guest such prominent lord in my humble keep.” he paused. ”I am also honoured to be the one hearing of such generous and interesting offer. However, Your Grace surely understands that I am merely one of many Polish lords and my voice is not the first among them, so naturally I cannot speak for them.

Personally, I find this idea very interesting to say the least, actually, there has been some talks already among the lords of Wielkopolska, regarding the future husband of our Angevin king. Grand Duke of Lithuania was mentioned as favorite choice.”
Jaśko did not mention however that it was Jogaila who was mentioned by the lords of Małopolska, as the one holding the power in Lithuania after the coup and rumoured better politician, tactician and leader as a whole than Vytautas.

”It would require a lot of effort to pull such plan through. More and more troublesome rumours are coming from Wielkopolska, the supporters of Ziemowit IV of Mazovia are said to gain an upper hand in their struggle with the starost of Wielkopolska. Polish nobles are divided Your Grace, launching an invasion against Jogaila could prove to be most difficoult.” he paused again.

”Still, if Your Grace wishes so, I could call other prominent lords of Małopolska to meet so that they could hear of this idea, would that be acceptable?

His mind still racing, Vytautas tried very hard to hold his anxiety in. But he was not as skilled at this as Jogaila, and it seeped out in his words, "Such a gathering... would be most beneficial to my cause. Now, how soon might you be able to arrange this?" Quickly Vytautas glanced out the window, seeing the leader of the group conversing with the gatekeeper. He began to grow more nervous every passing second. "The quicker, the better, my cousin Jogaila is searching for me day after day. It is likely he would bust down the doors of this very castle to find me. His paranoia has no end and I desperately need protection from the path of wanton destruction he will carve across Eastern Europe. Join me and I will lead you to glory. Yet now I require your help in hiding me from Jogaila's hounds. Will you give it?"

--------------------------------------

Trotting forward on his horse, Jogaila asked for entrance. Behind him were 10 of his most trusted Lithuanian retainers, men who had fought with him in the civil war and had earned his trust. Hidden in a nearby forest outside of town however, were nearly 100 troops from Brest-Litovsk. Growing impatient, Jogaila shouted once more, "Well gatekeeper, may we enter?!"

Last edited:
The Liths are swarming.

Jaśko was impressed, this man was charismatic, that’s for sure, he could surely inspire his soldiers on the battlefield. However, Jaśko was not a youngster with hot blood and replied Vytautas slowly. ”Your Grace, I cannot promise you that I will join your struggle for throne. However, I can promise you safe heaven here in Tęczyn, whoever will ask about Your Grace will have to go with nothing, such is the sacred right of guest. I can also promise Your Grace to contact with the fellow lords of Małopolska and discuss your ideas”

*****​

Meanwhile, at the gate.

This time Maćko decided against walking near the riders, there were simply too many of them. Instead he shouted from behind the stockade.

”Who and why seek to enter Tęczyn at this hour?!"

"The Grand Duke of Lithuania and his bodyguard!" boomed Jogaila. "We wish to speak with Jasko z Teczyna on matters of utmost importance. Now, may we enter?"

Maćko shook his head in disbelief and whispered to one of the guards. "Run to the starost and tell him about the new visitors." after that he shouted to the Lithuanians.

"Your Grace, forgive me for my clumsiness! he hissed at other soldiers to open the gate, as the riders entered he went to welcome the grand duke.

Maćko delivered a sweeping bow before the Lithuanian duke and said without rising his head in humble tone.

"Welcome in Tęczyn Your Grace"

*****​

Meanwhile the men sent to Jaśko entered the guest chamber and delivered the message to his master. Starost's face turned pale, he gave Vytautas a grave look and said with shaking voice.

"Your Grace, I must say I did not expect to fulfill your request regarding the safe heaven so quickly. My men have just allowed your cousin Jogaila to enter the keep."

Before Vytautas could reply Jaśko continued with firmer tone.

"I think Your Grace should better go to one of the rooms and rest. I, on the other hand, will meet Your Grace's cousin."

Jogaila, acknowledging the gatekeeper, spurred his horse towards the stables as five of his bodyguards followed suit; the other five would remain here at the gate. Making speed towards the stables and, after ensuring that his horse was well-kept, towards the central keep. Arriving to see the Starost, Jogaila greeted him, "Hello, my good Starost, how go things in Ruthenia? Hopefully the chaos of both Lithuania and Poland has been kept out of this region? Well, nevertheless, I bring a proposal that may very well change that situation for both peoples. But while I explain, may we eat? I am exhausted and tired, for my cousin is quite elusive. He has evaded my armies ever since he left Wilno."

Just as the Starost was about to respond, a figure walked by and Jogaila caught a glimpse of the face. It seemed rather odd to him. Not very unique in most places, but in a Polish keep it was not incredibly common to see a Lithuanian, especially one who looked like he was from the south, near Kiev. Quickly Jogaila inquired, "My good Starost, who is this man? I have not seen many Lithuanians walking around this castle. Then again, I suppose Ruthenia may be a safe haven for those fleeing war in the east and west. Yet who is he?"

Overhearing this as he passed by, Aldronius Virguntas was quite worried about Jogaila's comments, for the man Jogaila spoke of was Aldronius. He tried inconspicuously to walk away, but it was quite noticeable.

A shiver went on Jaśko’s spine. ”What is this fool doing here?! What is he thinking of?” still he lied to duke Jogaila without hesitation.

”Yeah, he is a Lith born for sure, a convert though, brought recently to the keep by my first-born. But you must be tired Your Grace, no?” the starost tried to divert Jogaila’s attention from Aldronius and change the subject. ”I am most honoured to guest such prominent Lord in my humble court and to say the least I am most interested in what Your Grace has to say... Please follow me, I'll have best meads and drinks ordered immiedately.”

Following Jasko to a table with drinks set out (I assume this is same table Vytautas was at), Jogaila sat down opposite the Starost. Taking a swig from the closest mug nearby, he realized it was half-empty. It was odd, he thought, but didn't give it much thought, some servant probably drank some of it.

"Well, Jasko, back to my proposal. I believe that the chaos in both our realms can be ended by only one thing: solidifying an alliance between them by marriage. You have two young princesses, Jadwiga and Maria, both soon ready for marriage, no? Well, should I marry one of them, I can ensure stability in both realms by establishing a strong male king in Krakow as well as an heir to both thrones. I would rule from Poland but ensure that a strong union be kept between Poland and Lithuania so that the countries operate cohesively and dependently. No matter if it is Jadwiga or Maria who I marry, I would give them a strong voice in the policies of the Kingdom of Poland. I am also willing to negotiate concerning the heirs to the thrones of Poland, Lithuania, and possibly Hungary. Will you give me your support, Jasko?"

Jaśko’s head was spinning, not only he somehow led Jogaila to the same chamber where he dined with Vytautas but also the servants, those lazy sods did not cleaned everything. Probably, if he heard of it from someone else, he would laugh, but at the moment there was nothing to laugh from. To make matters worse, Lithuanian duke approached Jaśko with almost the very same situation as his cousin did an hour or so ago.

He sipped some diluted beer and replied to Jogaila.

”Your Grace, let me first say I am most flattered that you decided to visit and approach me with such proposition. To say the least I, myself, am most interested in such endeavor. However, I am one of many Polish lords. Furthermore, as Your Grace perhaps might have heard, Poland faces internal problems, the question of inheritance is yet to be resolved as the supporters of Past of Mazovia claim the throne for him, regardless the contracts and agreements signed with the late king Louis.

Still, if Your Grace wishes, I shall contact with other prominent lords of Poland and we shall discuss this idea thoroughly.”
he paused for a moment.

”One more thing before Your Grace replies, I daresay Lithuania would finally convert, yes?...”

Jogaila laughed heartily, "The Piast can be crushed under my boot quite easily. The further he goes into Wielkopolska, the further I can go into Mazovia unmolested. And yes, of course, I will wholeheartedly convert to Roman Catholicism and pledge loyalty to the Pope in Rome as your nation does. I will do my utmost to convert all of Lithuania to the same faith. First I will focus on the Pagans and then, once they are all good Catholics, I will divert my attention to those of the Russian Orthodox faith." Stopping for a short moment to drink and think, Jogaila started up again with a deep breath, "I would most certainly be glad if you would arrange such a meeting for me and be my eyes and ears in Poland. Speaking of which... would you grant me access to your lands so that I might search for my traitorous cousin, Vytautas? We lost track of him a while north of here and have been unable to find him since. It is imperative that he be caught so he is unable to cause unrest in Poland and Lithuania, possibly destroying an opportunity for a mighty alliance."

Last edited:
"My good king, I'd like to know one more thing. What are Poland's plans for the north, most specifically the Teutonic Order and their overzealous Grandmaster? They have recently been making raids and other incursions into Lithuanian land. Now I have had enough. It is time for war, and I will need all the allies I can get. Will you stand with me?