• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sneilert

Recruit
2 Badges
Nov 2, 2023
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities: Skylines
Hey fellow mayors,

I've been diving deep into City Skylines 2, and while the game has improved in so many ways, I can't help but feel frustrated by the absence of a road prioritization tool. In the original City Skylines, this mod was a real game-changer, and I miss it dearly.

Without the road prioritization tool, it's a real struggle to achieve the level of control and detail I want in my city. I find myself constantly having to demolish and redraw roads to ensure the right zoning is in place, which is time-consuming and takes away from the overall enjoyment of the game.

I understand that the developers have introduced new mechanics and features in City Skylines 2, but I believe that having a road prioritization tool is essential for city planning. It would save us a lot of time, reduce the need for constant micro-management, and make the game even more engaging.

So, what do you all think? Do you miss the road prioritization tool as much as I do? Let's discuss and hopefully catch the developers' attention to bring this feature back in a future update. Our cities deserve the best tools for success!

• 32Like
Reactions:
Yeah, i agree completely, i think they need to add a similar system to CS:2 as well so you can ensure the use your avenues. Seems like a no brainer to inckude it.

One thing thats connected to this that would help as well, is if we could restrict turning on specific lanes, not just the road itself. Or add a stop sign on one road to control traffic, instead of switching every road in the intersection to stop signs

• 4Like
Reactions:
Honestly zoning needs a complete overhaul. I keep having zones adjust because A PEDESTRIAN PATH WAS CONNECTED TO THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD. Like I connect a ped path on the other side of the street, and the zoning across the street from the connection changes. WHY?! Why is the road changing AT ALL?!

I would love free placement of zoning. The same painting tool we haev now, but you decide where the corner of the zoned area starts, independent of the grid. Think free-placing a building. Imagine you free-place a house anywhere you want along a road. Now the area under that house is the zone. Now remove the house from the equation- and just imagine free-placing the zone itself. click and drag and you get a square or rectangle of zoning, same as always, but YOU chose where it started and ended.

• 10Like
Reactions:
They don't even currently allow you to set stop or yeild signs on specific sides of intersections. If you use stop signs every way on the intersection gets the stop sign. There's no way to allow only two of the roads at a four way intersection to have stop signs. And you can't even place yield signs down yourself. They only appear on smaller roads automatically.

• 2Like
Reactions:
For now, you can use pedestrian paths to limit or change the zoning extension or creation. Not the best but a workaround.

The zoning changes placing a path that cross the street because a node is generated an the zones are tied to the node length.

Here an example of path utilization:

Attachments

• 20231102142933_1.jpg
    20231102142933_1.jpg
    440,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231102142940_1.jpg
    20231102142940_1.jpg
    450,3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231102143010_1.jpg
    20231102143010_1.jpg
    471,3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Yes, we need this.
for example: if you build a 5 lane road, only one lane can go right by default (right hand drive). We need to be able to change that.

Also let us manually add crossroads.

Zoning also needs some work. Let us select an option to remove zoning from a specific road.

You can manually add crossroads, that's in the game now :)

As for the other traffic things, they sound a lot like what the old Traffic Manager mod allowed us to do in CS1, and I fully expect that this will be one of the first mods available once PDX Mods launches (alongside the 2,500 new buildings!!). I doubt that CO will implement it directly in the game, at least for a while, because it might too "fidgety" for some people.

• 1Like
Reactions:

As for the other traffic things, they sound a lot like what the old Traffic Manager mod allowed us to do in CS1, and I fully expect that this will be one of the first mods available once PDX Mods launches (alongside the 2,500 new buildings!!). I doubt that CO will implement it directly in the game, at least for a while, because it might too "fidgety" for some people.
I tried to add a crossroad in the middle of a street but it didn't work. Had to connect a path to the road to create it.

I tried to add a crossroad in the middle of a street but it didn't work. Had to connect a path to the road to create it.
The game doesn't let you put the crosswalk where you want. It's some pre-determined location on a stretch of a road. Don't like, I want to put it anywhere I like.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
For now, you can use pedestrian paths to limit or change the zoning extension or creation. Not the best but a workaround.

The zoning changes placing a path that cross the street because a node is generated an the zones are tied to the node length.

Here an example of path utilization:

Thanks for providing this workaround to the thread! Not perfect, but very decent for the time being.

I see what you mean, and of course, that's a possibility, but I personally don't think it would be too complicated for such a game. This is such an important feature in a game like this, and a small button that allows you to easily drag the zones in the direction you need shouldn't be too much to ask for. It could work in the same way as the road upgrade tool does on one-way roads when you drag from one side to the other to change the road.

Reactions:
Honestly, what I want most is to just turn it off.

Zoning on the medium-or-larger roads is just a bad idea, and whenever its zoning messes up the small and tiny roads that I actually want to zone on it's really obnoxious.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The game doesn't let you put the crosswalk where you want. It's some pre-determined location on a stretch of a road. Don't like, I want to put it anywhere I like.
It's the same as CS1; there are hidden nodes because the segments can only be so long.

Whenever you want to apply something (a different road type, a decoration, a roundabout, whatever) to only part of a road, build an intersection to force a node there, change the side you wanted to change, then delete the road that made the intersection.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's the same as CS1; there are hidden nodes because the segments can only be so long.

Whenever you want to apply something (a different road type, a decoration, a roundabout, whatever) to only part of a road, build an intersection to force a node there, change the side you wanted to change, then delete the road that made the intersection.
Thanks, that works, although not as easy as with node controller.

3.jpg