• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr Maison

Colonel
13 Badges
May 9, 2013
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
I'm still getting used to building roads in this game. In SC4 when we build a highway, both directions are done in one shot. Now I'm building my first highway in CS and want both directions to line up consistently. It's not so easy when both directions are dragged separately unless there was some kind of snapping feature. I don't always want big or irregular gaps between the directions.
Is there a way to have more control over the road placement so it doesn't feel so wild. Like when making a grid when the situation is right for it, how do we get the roads to drag parallel or perfectly perpendicular to each other and measure an exact amount of tiles between for a long stretch?
I always end up with one road slightly off parallel from the other resulting in eventual zone clashing and loss of zonable land. Are there any snap hotkeys while dragging? I do appreciate the free feel of building roads in the game but there are many times I want better precision. Am I missing something?

Seriously? Get the heck out of here! You're making that up!

:wacko:

That's an excellent tip in that link! It's very helpful but then what about elevated roads and highways? There should be native snapping functionality for this. Like a road would snap to another with optional distances. It reminds me of placing road tiles to flatten land.

i3e989.png

That should be mentioned in the wiki ^^^ I'm going in game to see what it snaps to.

EDIT: I just checked it out. What exactly is snapping with that toggle? I don't notice any difference especially with curving roads. I'm building my highways in the map editor.

Im not really sure if it works in the map editor, but with normal roads it is supposed to snap to a grid and to the closest road intersections if close enough. :mellow:

Keep in mind that highways are 'special' in that they don't leave a grid behind (i.e. the structure grid). That makes them a bit more iffy to build it in 'both' directions.

There are two workarounds on that. One is to stretch both highway directions from one side, and then use the reverse-direction upgrade on one side. The other is to extend the cheap gravel roads alongside the highway and across its path when you need a grid for pillars, onramps, curve measurement, etc.

Snapping happens whenever you cross a road that extends 'grid', or when you extend a road (in a straight line). If you want to use the curved road tool to make nice 90 degree turns (i.e. 1/4th of a roundabout), begin counting lines when you drag the road out, then move the same number of lines across. If you want a road at a 45 degree angle, make two straight roads in this same fashion and then create the diagonal road you're after.

It's very easy to create orderly patterns with straight roads, as long as the entire layout starts from the same road system, so they're all at correct angles relative to one another. :)

I wish can can someday build a highways and bridges like these. Hard to do unless proper snapping is applied to the highway system or someone makes a mod that puts both directions in one draggable highway road type in the options.

You could probably do that first one using the grid technique, and I don't see anything stopping you from making some 8 story high bridge.

I wish can can someday build a highways and bridges like these. Hard to do unless proper snapping is applied to the highway system or someone makes a mod that puts both directions in one draggable highway road type in the options.
<snip>

The first pic is easy (as per link above), as for the bridge etc, well its a little more difficult but if you do the ground level work first, then draw the elevated roads in the same direction (easier to match any curves) and use the upgrade tool to reverse the direction of one of them (as appropriate) it usually ends up much neater than if you draw them in the direction of travel trying to match the curves.

Its a bit harder in the asset editor (couldnt be bothered setting a new map up) because the freeform tool doesn't snap to the zone grid, but this is close:
ihwRNus.jpg

Of course, I wouldn't say no to an option to draw them both together, but I would want it to allow me to adjust the space in between, so 0,1,2,3 or 4 square space, depending on what I am doing... otherwise I doubt I would use it often.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks ok but there will always be a gap I guess for now. It's hard to imagine our bridges will always be separate for either directions. Most bridges support 2 way traffic. Here we have to make 2 bridges for the same stretch. Will we ever be able to make real world bridges like the Brooklyn or Golden Gate Bridge??

Last edited:
I want a toggable grid like the one in the asset editor, or an even more improved one than that one, I have no idea what the roads actually snaps to since I don't see it.

I want a toggable grid like the one in the asset editor, or an even more improved one than that one

The grid in the asset editor is only really useful in the asset editor :) In fact, even then it can get in the way when you really don't want it to.
Its hard to explain, but I would rather the grid be dynamic and based on my roads (similar to the zoning grid) than a static grid for the entire map.

As with the above road layout where I tried to copy the photo, its harder to do that in the asset editor because the static grid gets in the way, even with snapping turned off. In game though, its so much easier, but sadly it only works on roads which are not raised and only those which are zoneable.

This is the sort of thing the static grid does, aside from forcing me to connect the road where I don't want.
Look at the grid underneath the zoneable area, if I was forced to snap to that, I would end up with awkward unbuildable areas, whereas currently I can snap to zoneable areas if I want to create the perfect dense zones.

I7cNyzFl.jpg

I have no idea what the roads actually snaps to since I don't see it.

They snap to the zoneable squares, if they exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Highways should be treated as the real life examples. Major highways such as those that cross regions require on and off ramps. They do not have intersections eo there's no reason to have both directions separate all the time. I cannot think of anywhere that do not have highways like those it the images above. They really should be included in any city builder with a scope such as this game if we are to make realistic looking cities. I hope a developer or capable modder is reading this and considering. As of right now, the tricks in the video is all we have. The request I'm making requires developer or modding creation.