• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

fixmypcmike

Sergeant
6 Badges
Nov 14, 2010
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Age of Wonders
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
I find in 1.3 that once you get a large number of provinces, changing domestic policies causes huge numbers of revolts, which doesn't happen in 1.2. Is there an accessible parameter that controls this?

I find in 1.3 that once you get a large number of provinces, changing domestic policies causes huge numbers of revolts, which doesn't happen in 1.2. Is there an accessible parameter that controls this?
Changing a domestic policy lowers stability and incurs a risk of revolts.
It should do so, because any decision you make in those policies means granting privileges (e.g. one more step towards aristocracy) but taking away rights from the free farmers who might became serfs.

To avoid or at least lower the amount of revolts you can
- be sure to be at maximum +3 stability before changing a domestic policy to have a buffer for the loss of stability,
- be sure to own only provinces of those nationalities that your state accepts (having others means more revoltrisk in those provinces),
- be sure to own only provinces of your own faith (or those that you fully tolerate in the religious setting) as having provinces of other faiths means more revoltrisk)

The old EU2 1.09 FAQ still applies in some areas:

Yes, I agree that revolts should be a risk, but in 1.2 you sometimes got a revolt when changing policies, but in 1.3 I find that even if you start at stability 3 and have nearly all your provinces of accepted cultures and state religion, you invariably get half a dozen revolts. I was wondering if there's an accessible parameter that has changed between 1.2 and 1.3.

No, the parameter isn't accessible (though it will be in the next beta release). It's currently a +40% chance added to the existing revolt risk, which for same-religion same-culture provinces would typically result in around a 25-30% chance of revolt. The idea is to make domestic policy changes require thought and strategy, rather than being practically no-brainer as they used to be.

Reactions:
No, the parameter isn't accessible (though it will be in the next beta release). It's currently a +40% chance added to the existing revolt risk, which for same-religion same-culture provinces would typically result in around a 25-30% chance of revolt. The idea is to make domestic policy changes require thought and strategy, rather than being practically no-brainer as they used to be.
Yes, I can see how that would give you a half dozen revolts if you have 20+ provinces. I usually don't do them at that point, unless I get a random event that gives a choice like "centralize -1 or stabil -2", in which case I could take the first option and then use a policy change to raise centralize back to the previous value and only pay a penalty of -1 stability (which I suppose is kind of cheating, anyway).

BTW, thank you so much for all the work you've been doing on FtG all these years. I had no idea there was a 1.3 until recently, and I've really enjoyed all the improvements you've made.