[RESOURCE] Nearly Blank map - a starting point for TC's (V1.2)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've updated the resource to the 1.2.1 patch, figured I'd share! I went over it with a diff tool, I tried to be careful, but I can't guarantee I didn't break any events. But it starts.

I also made a version with the vanilla map put back in, just with everything except for Ireland as an impassable mountain. So you can add provinces back in as needed. Good for if you want to work on other stuff first, but do want to be able to test with multiple counties in different places, or even already get started on making the characters and titles.

The EmptiedVanillaMap version does have a bit of a graphical issue right now: the zoomed out "paper" map is still the small island one, although with some aspects of the vanilla map. I'm sure there's a file I forgot to paste over, but I can't figure out which one. I'll look into it more later.

Great work mate :)
I've had to take a hiatus from modding, I've been working on the LOTR mod when I can but don't have the patience for keeping this up-to-date at this point. Perhaps it would be best if you uploaded your version to a new thread so people can find it more easily? I'll link your post in the original post too though. Cheers.
And sorry for everyone who had issues while I was away. The couple of people who said the zip had a virus, was that ever resolved? Did it say what it was exactly? It only includes the mod files which are all pretty much just .txt files and some images so I have no clue why it would be picking it up that way.

The EmptiedVanillaMap version does have a bit of a graphical issue right now: the zoomed out "paper" map is still the small island one, although with some aspects of the vanilla map. I'm sure there's a file I forgot to paste over, but I can't figure out which one. I'll look into it more later.
The file is gfx\map\terrain\flatmap.dds

I also noticed that there's a bunch of vanilla files which aren't needed, such as random portrait files. It seems you added any new or edited files even if they are irrelevant to the mod? Not complaining btw, I really appreciate someone else taking a stab at keeping this updated! :)

Great work mate :)

I've had to take a hiatus from modding, I've been working on the LOTR mod when I can but don't have the patience for keeping this up-to-date at this point. Perhaps it would be best if you uploaded your version to a new thread so people can find it more easily? I'll link your post in the original post too though. Cheers.

And sorry for everyone who had issues while I was away. The couple of people who said the zip had a virus, was that ever resolved? Did it say what it was exactly? It only includes the mod files which are all pretty much just .txt files and some images so I have no clue why it would be picking it up that way.

Took a bit of a break, but I've updated the files to 1.2.2, in a new thread as suggested: threads/resource-blank-map-empty-vanilla-map-tc-starting-points-v1-2-2.1451934/ (for some reason I keep getting spam warnings if I try to post a link).

The file is gfx\map\terrain\flatmap.dds

Thanks, that's fixed now too!

I also noticed that there's a bunch of vanilla files which aren't needed, such as random portrait files. It seems you added any new or edited files even if they are irrelevant to the mod? Not complaining btw, I really appreciate someone else taking a stab at keeping this updated! :)

Ah, good catch. I'm using git to manage my mods & update this one, so I have all files in my mod folder, and I'm just running that through KDiff3 vs the vanilla game files, to only get the changed files. Suffice it to say, it seems to register some stuff as new even though it isn't. Better than the alternative, but still. Maybe I should switch to a diff tool that can deal with .asset and .yml files :p Removed them in the new version.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Tried both the latest version posted in this thread as well as HekateSIN's version in the linked thread. They all crash with references to missing information. Posted a crash log in the other thread for his version. The latest one posted in this thread gave a different error. Both appear to be in relation to creating ruler characters.

[12:04:37][dynasty.cpp:120]: Dynasty test_dynasty has no scripted valid source culture.
[12:04:37][landedtitlemanager.cpp:617]: Date 1.1.1. c_test_1 doesn't have a holder in history. All counties should have one.
[12:04:37][landedtitlemanager.cpp:617]: Date 1.1.1. c_test_2 doesn't have a holder in history. All counties should have one.
[12:04:37][landedtitlemanager.cpp:617]: Date 1.1.1. c_test_3 doesn't have a holder in history. All counties should have one.
[12:04:37][landedtitlemanager.cpp:617]: Date 1.1.1. c_test_4 doesn't have a holder in history. All counties should have one.
[12:04:37][scriptedcharacterdata.cpp:168]: No culture had a fulfilled trigger in HandleCulture
[12:04:37][courtier_guest_manager.cpp:251]: Errors when generating pool character config from template 'pool_repopulate_local_flavor' for ruler: Bleddyn b_test_7 of c_test_4 (Internal ID 11)
[12:04:37][dynasty.cpp:120]: Dynasty test_dynasty has no scripted valid source culture.

I ran with HekateSIN's iteration on this and set up a couple changes: prettier English localization, culture, religion, and fewer extraneous files.

I have no idea whether this version helps or hurts users running into bugs, but it does work for me as of 1.4.2 on Windows w/ Steam.

I'll post this in another thread (V1.3!) for easier reading. Owl, if you're checking replies to this, would you mind linking from your OP?

I wouldn't ask, but Hekate edited their thread to say that their version is deprecated for the time being.

Last edited:
Can someone make this map be fit into the map? I just need help with kingdoms, Queendoms, Empires, Tribes, Clans, & Etc.
Fantasty.png

mapheights copy.png

Reactions:
I've updated the resource to the 1.2.1 patch, figured I'd share! I went over it with a diff tool, I tried to be careful, but I can't guarantee I didn't break any events. But it starts.

I also made a version with the vanilla map put back in, just with everything except for Ireland as an impassable mountain. So you can add provinces back in as needed. Good for if you want to work on other stuff first, but do want to be able to test with multiple counties in different places, or even already get started on making the characters and titles.

Please will you have plans to launch version 1.5?