Researched co-existence with Amoebas... now they can't stop checking in

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General
95 Badges
Jan 4, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
I chose to go with the "co-exist" option for Space Amoebas (since I'm playing a pacifist empire), which after researching the 2000-point Society project gave me the tech options for amoeba fighters & regenerating hull and all the amoebas were now coloured blue, like an ally or vassal. I was expecting yellow, but whatever, I thought.

But as I was playing, I kept noticing flickers of blue ships in unexplored areas of the map. Since I wasn't watching those areas I didn't initially catch what was going on, but eventually I realized I was seeing amoebas travelling from one system to another - in regions that are entirely unexplored. They weren't visible in those systems, but while travelling the hyperlanes they were. I started to run the game more slowly to see if I could catch one in the act, and after several months I did:

09C25EA01CC305192F276E02CA004AE219934170

I get that we're friends and all now, amoebas, but you really don't need to let me know every time you migrate.

I didn´t knew about this, is this new that you can get friendly with them?

But that´s not important, my sick mind produces pictures of hundred of thousand breeding stations that release "THE SWARM" against my enemies... good god media what have you done to my brain.

So do you see them move in start systems you haven't seen at all??

Ameobas already move in game and you can normally see them move on the map if you have the right tech.

Is the problem because they're all 'allies?'

If so then the solution should just be making them neutral right? Idk why they'd be allies anyways.

So do you see them move in start systems you haven't seen at all??

Ameobas already move in game and you can normally see them move on the map if you have the right tech.

Is the problem because they're all 'allies?'

If so then the solution should just be making them neutral right? Idk why they'd be allies anyways.

I can't see them *in* the systems I haven't seen, but I see them when they use the hyperlanes between systems. Yes, I'm sure it's a quirk of how it's been implemented as "friendly" as opposed to simply neutral. It's a "bug", I guess, but it doesn't actually cause a problem in any way that I can think of (other than distracting you with blue ships blinking in and out of existence now and then in unexplored parts of the galaxy).

Not related to this but related to amoebas in the same game:

I found the Vultaum Precursor homeworld connected to a dead-end unclaimed system - however it was not directly adjacent to me via hyperlane, rather it was some hops through my nearby friendly neighbour's territory. I sent a research ship to survey the two systems and I discovered why it was unclaimed - there was an amoeba cluster in the system.

After surveying, I went ahead and claimed the Precursor system (at a hefty cost in influence) but I didn't claim the other one, since it was a crappy system (just a single 2-point physics resource). Anyway, of course, pirates then later spawned in that unclaimed system - and the amoebas fought them off for me. Thanks, guys! (They lost all their small amoebas though, so after that I figured I'd better claim the system anyway or the next pirate spawn would beat them and then break stuff in my juicy precursor system.)

You would think pirates would be smart enough to base themselves in a system that didn't have hostile space monsters in it. Or maybe it does, but it's checking my hostility rather than the pirates' hostility? Why are the amoeba hostile to the pirates anyway, since presumably they have the same amoeba-pacifying tech? Maybe we can just chalk this one up to being "friends with benefits" with the amoebas....

I can't see them *in* the systems I haven't seen, but I see them when they use the hyperlanes between systems. Yes, I'm sure it's a quirk of how it's been implemented as "friendly" as opposed to simply neutral. It's a "bug", I guess, but it doesn't actually cause a problem in any way that I can think of (other than distracting you with blue ships blinking in and out of existence now and then in unexplored parts of the galaxy).
I'm not understanding. When you look at the taranaki do they act the same way?

Nope - those I can only see if they are travelling in systems that I have sensor visibility on.
Oooh I see.

I wonder if this is just because they're 'allies'.

I haven't done this yet but if you fight something in the same system as them and they're in range to they join your battle?

Oooh I see.

I wonder if this is just because they're 'allies'.

I haven't done this yet but if you fight something in the same system as them and they're in range to they join your battle?

Yes, I assume it's because they're "allies". I haven't had a war yet, but I assume they would fight any of my enemies they encountered because they're normally hostile to everyone. It's just new to have them around in settled systems.