Religious Leader Mechanic for Sikhism, Tibetan Buddhism, and Shintoism

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MarkS00N

Major
84 Badges
Sep 20, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Religious leader are important for all religion, but for Sikhism and Tibetan Buddhism, religious leader provide a much more crucial role due to how in EU4 these religion is in their early development. Because of that, I think Sikhism and Tibetan Buddhism could use a similar gameplay using Religous Leader.

I believe Buddhism should be divided in to several different religion, but I don't think I can now enough about the differences of Theravarda and Mahayana on a nation politic so I am going with a branch that I think could use the religious leader mechanic, Tibetan.

I also include Shintoism because I think this mechanic could be also be used by Shintoism.

In general, all religious leader has following mechanics:
1) Their interface is similar to nation's ruler, but appears in religion tab
2) Instead of MP, religious leader has two/three traits as stats
3) Traits comes from a 'trait pool' and a leader gain random traits
An example of trait pool I have in mind consist of:
+2% missionary strength
+5% army morale
+2.5% discipline
-5% mil tech
-5% admin tech
-5% diplo tech
-2 national unrest
4) The religious leader of same religion is the same (For example, all nations that has Sikhism as religion going to have Guru Nanak as religious leader)

Each religion than has their own special mechanic

Sikhism
(-) Religious leader is called Guru
(-) Guru start with two traits but can gain a third trait
(-) Special mechanic available to Sikh nation that control Sikh Holy Site
(-) Guru has 'wisdom point' which steadily increase as long as religious leader alive
(-) 'Wisdom point' also can be increases by holy war (attack or defend), converting provinces, and events
(-) 'Wisdom point' can be used to pick a third traits or create Guru Grant Sahib
(-) When Guru died, player can choose who shall be the next leader (like Republic), with each possible Guru has different two random traits
(-) If Guru Grant Sahib is created, there will be no longer Guru to be picked when current Guru is dead and Guru Grant Sahib will be the Guru till the game end with traits consist of the current Guru's trait plus +2% missionary strength
(-) 'Wisdom point' reset to zero when new Guru selected
(-) If there is no Sikh nation that control Sikh Holy Site, the Guru's selection be held like its historical counterpart (So the Guru that get elected will be the historical one until Guru Grant Sahib is created)
(-) If the Sikh lost its holy site, Guru Grant Sahib will be created the current Guru died

Tibetan Buddhism
(-) Religious leader is called Dalai Lama
(-) Dalai Lama start with three traits
(-) Special mechanic available to Tibet Theocracy
(-) Unlike other religion with Religious Leader mechanic, Dalai Lama is the ruler of Tibet Theocracy so new Dalai Lama will also mean new ruler for Tibet Theocracy
(-) When Dalai Lama died Tibet Theocracy will enter regency period
(-) When in regency period, religion screen will now show bar similar to Orthodox, indicate Regent process of seeking the next Dalai Lama
(-) The bar will automatically increase, but Tibet Theocracy will get event to increase it further or gained short term benefit
(-) Tibet Theocracy can declare Dalai's lama death or kept it secret
(-) If kept secret, all other Tibetan Buddhism nations will keep its Dalai Lama's religion screen, as if Dalai Lama still alive and kept gained bonus from Dalai Lama's trait until new Dalai Lama is declared
(-) If Dalai Lama's dead is declared, all other Tibetan Buddhism nations will now see the regency bar in their religious tab and gain CB to enforce Dalai Lama's candidate of their own
(-) Dalai Lama that get its position through war forced by other nation will have relation bonus with nation that help him get his position (So Tibet Theocracy will have positive relation with the attacker if the attacker win the war)
(-) If new Dalai Lama is found when the war still going on, the war end immediately

Shintoism
(-) Religious leader is called Emperor of Japan (thus I hope Japan's ruler won't be Emperor but kept to be Shogun)
(-) Emperor only has two traits
(-) Emperor has heir and when Emperor die, the heir will be the next Emperor
(-) Emperor has relation opinion with all nation that has Shinto as state religion
(-) Positive relation with Emperor will gives Shinto nation bonuses (+1 Yearly Prestige, +1 Yearly Legitimacy, +10% Army Morale) while negative relation will gives penalties (-1 Yearly Prestige, -1 Yearly Legitimacy, +2 National Unrest)
(-) Emperor start with -20 relation to represent his desire to have real political role instead of his current symbolical one
(-) Relation can be increased by sending diplomat, has royal marriage with emperor, send gift to emperor, and conquer non-Japan land
(-) Relation will be reduced by warring and espionage (claim, support rebel, etc) against other Shinto nations
(-) When new emperor rise, the relation will reset back to -20
(-) Special mechanic is available to Shogun
(-) If Emperor have several heirs, Shogun could decide to enforce different heir to become emperor
(-) Taking such action will gives -50 Prestige, -100 Relation with another Shinto nations, +2 National Unrest, other Shinto nations gain special CB to return the old Emperor, but Shogun will start with positive relation with the new Emperor
(-) If old Emperor restored, all Shinto nations that participate in the war will get relation bonus with the restored Emperor

So those are my suggestions, thank you

Reactions:
Upvote 0
Not sure about mechanical details but overall I really like it :)

Although I am not sure if 'tibetan buddhism' should be created by
- separating Lamaism as different, heretic religion from Buddhism or
- giving Tibet exclusive government form with these mechanics.

As for regular Buddhism and Confucianism one guy suggested Karma Meter for Buddhism (good actions good events, bad actions bad events) and Meritocracy for Confucianism.

Not sure about mechanical details but overall I really like it :)

Although I am not sure if 'tibetan buddhism' should be created by
- separating Lamaism as different, heretic religion from Buddhism or
- giving Tibet exclusive government form with these mechanics.

As for regular Buddhism and Confucianism one guy suggested Karma Meter for Buddhism (good actions good events, bad actions bad events) and Meritocracy for Confucianism.
I think Buddhism should be split just like Sunni and Shia is split due to how different each of them are...
So while there are other lama's I think Tibetan's Dalai Lama historically able to be a bit more influential compared to other lama thus can be used as a Buddhism of its own...
Currently there is already Tibet Theocracy (a decision to form one) so what I think is Tibetan Nations will start with Tibetan Buddhism and the one that able to create Tibet Theocracy get the special mechanic...

About Karma meter, I think it might be good, but I am not sure whether it is a strong enough 'political power' as piety for Islam for example to be used as game mechanic...
I mean, great ruler like Akbar is remembered to be low on piety while Aurangzeb is remembered with his zealotry (a.k.a high piety), so piety does make sense to be used as a mechanic, while I am on the other hand never really hear about how high or low a Buddhist leader's Karma is when talk about heir leadership...

Without getting into details (some may be a bit overdetailed), I think that some sort of such system is a good idea.

CK2 has 3 branches of Buddhism you can follow, Mahayana, Theravada, and Vajrayana. From what i can find, Tibet was Vajrayana, Srilanka and southeast asia was Theravada, while China, Korea, and Japan had Mahayana.

Ironically, it seems to be dharmic, listed as it along with Hinduism, Sikhism, and Jainism but is not in the dharmic, group in the game.