• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter IV

The Iron Fleet is made ready for the Great Reaving, with my mighty galley the Ravager and Victarion's Iron Victory at its head. I bid my children and wives behind and set out for glory. Care of the Iron Isles I leave to Tristifer Botley, but he is Asha's creature and I know that she will be the one that rules in truth whilst I am away. It was, after all, the only way I could persuade the wilful girl not to follow after us.

Our journey around Westeros held few tales worthy of note. The Tyrells no doubt befouled their floral breeches when they saw us sail past their lands, but they did not impede us, and the Dornish were as timid as ever. We crossed the Narrow Sea and learned that my treacherous brother Euron Crow's Eye was in Pentos, and was plotting my demise with conspirators back in Pyke. I took the fleet to his new home and sent word he should abandon such schemes if he did not wish to lose his other eye. Euron relented, of course, and I sent word home to have his cohorts seized and drowned.

Leaving the Free Cities behind we sailed past the smoking seas of doomed Valyria, through the Gulf of Grief and into Slavers Bay. We soon seized upon our first target, a village of seemingly little note.

Eager, perhaps overeager, to take our first prize, we drew up out ships and rushed towards the village, only to find it well defended with stout walls and a hardy militia. I would later learn that this place lay close to the hunting grounds of the Dothraki Horselords, and had learned well how to defend itself against raiders from sea and land. We might, perhaps, still have claimed victory, but I was of no mind to take serious losses so early in the day. Chastened, we returned to our ships, taking the foolish scout that had marked this place an easy target and giving him to the Drowned God.

I spent the rest of that day in bitterness, until I spied a few of my warriors dancing the finger-dance, axes spinning through the air as they laughed and boasted with one another. If my Ironborn are not cowed by so early a setback, had I any right to be? I called one of them, Donnor of House Saltcliffe, over and challenged him to a finger dance. We began and Donnor flung his axe at me with not a single care that I was his King. I plucked it from the air and flung it back, laughing to myself as it laid open his hand.

My mood thus lightened, we set out for better prey, finding it in the form of a fleet of fat Volantene galleys low down in the water with cargo. They tried to run at the sight of our sails, but our ships were far swifter than theirs, and our mastery of the waves unmatched even in these strange seas, and we soon overtook them. Rushing aboard, we butchered what fighters they had like spavined pigs a broke open their holds. One ship was laden with a cargo of spices, saffron and pepper worth more than gold, the second carried fine silks and chests of silver, whilst the third, taken by Victarion, proved to be a slaver. We took the loot that pleased us, and tossed the mewling slaves over the side. They will be far happier in the Drowned God's halls than as chattels in Volantis.

We had tasted our first success of the voyage, but it would not be the last. The next day we came across another village, far richer and riper than the first, and fell upon it with wild abandon. This time, the villagers proved no match for us and we laid their homes to ruin. Many of my Ironborn took salt wives that day, with Donnor Saltcliffe claiming two of the fairest wenches for himself. I smiled as he presented them at our feast that night. Donnor has done many great deeds on this reaving and won much respect, including my own.

Our holds now near-full with plunder, I take us back out towards the Gulf of Grief. As we cross into deeper waters we catch sight of more sails on the horizon, a small fleet bound from the east. Deciding to take one last prize we make for the ships and bring them to bay, my own ship taking the largest vessel on its port side whilst the Iron Victory hit it a-starboard. Leaping over the gunwales we met with fierce opposition, no fat slavers these, but warriors of some fashion. I saw Victarion trading blows with a large man in the armor of a Westerosi knight. I moved to aid my brother but was checked by a white-bearded man, older than even myself and carrying naught but a stick. He seemed to know me, and bade me call off my men, but I sneered at him and swung my blade at his skull.

The old man caught my blade on his staff and spun faster than I would have thought possible, striking me hard across the breastplate then angling low and sweeping my feet from under me. I crashed to the deck and rolled to my feet. My Ironborn rushed to help me, but the old man proved too much for them too, smashing them to the deck, one, two, three. Still, the overall fight had gone our way, and we must surely overwhelm the old man and what few allies remained to him. I shook my head to clear it and advanced with my reavers at my side.

"Stop!" A woman's voice rang high and clear and Westerosi. I turn towards the now open cabin door and see a fair young girl with silver hair and purple eyes. But even so lovely a sight as she did not long hold my gaze, for the dim light of the cabin behind her shifts, and for the first time I see the dragons...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Dragons on a wooden ship doesn't sound like a good idea.

Fingers crossed that Arstan Whitebeard (or possible Ser Jorah, or even Strong Belwas) slays Balon. Then Theon can be King, marry Dany, and pillage and burn happily ever after. :D

Chapter V

Daenerys Stormborn. Mother of Dragons and last scion of once-mighty House Targaryen. I had travelled east seeking treasure, but had not thought to find one of such value. The rightwise claimant to my old enemy's throne, and three young dragons to boot. My head spun at the possibilities.

Her advisers hold little trust in me. Ser Barristan Selmy, the old man that had bested me; in truth former Lord Commander of the vaunted Kingsguard, reminds her of the violent history of my Ironborn. Ser Jorah Mormont, the big knight that had battled my brother, speaks of my rebellion against Robert, where he won his knighthood storming the walls of Pyke. I repress bitter memory and laugh. Am I to be faulted for rising against the Usurper? Is not violence what she needs to reclaim what was stolen from her?

She is not convinced, I can see that writ plain, but I see other things as well. A desperation in her eyes, born of long exile and too many betrayals and hardships to count. I am the first, the only, great power of Westeros to offer her friendship. I took Aegon's city once, and could do so again. After much thought the girl agrees to return with us to Pyke. Well that she did, for I intended to take her whether she willed it or no. Better, though, that she think it her own idea.

My ailing cousin Dagon offers to see for the care of the Dragon Princess in exchange for her hand, and I agree. Dagon took heavy wounds in the last raid and I know he will not survive the voyage home, one way or another. Sure enough, Dagon passes to the Drowned God's halls scant days before we reach our home waters. I have another Greyjoy in mind for Daenerys's husband.

dany.png

r12.png

Homecoming is a mixed blessing. Those of my Ironborn not lucky or bold enough to join the Great Reaving gather round us like flies around a corpse, eager for tales of our victories and marvelling at the treasures we have won, the dragons most of all. Daenerys seems to settle into my court well enough, though she is possessed of a dragon's temper and soon becomes a third combatant in the seemingly endless war of words between Asha and Cersei. I begin to recall why I sailed away in the first place.

As to her entourage, the Dothraki at least seem to understand us. They keep to the Old Ways themselves, in some respects, and now that their fear of the oceans has been conquered begin to join our reavers. They have a natural talent for it. The two knights fare less well. Ser Jorah, hearing word of his estranged father's death north of The Wall, goes to Daenerys in private. I do not know what words pass between them, but he leaves the next day, bound for the wall himself. Ser Barristan, by contrast, seemed to find a measure of contentment in bringing the last Targaryen back to Westeros. But contentment is the death of old warriors, and the cold air of Pyke is not forgiving. The old knight passed in his sleep and we honoured him before sending his bones to his nephew in Harvest Hall. My brother Aemon also died during those grim days, and now sits beside the Drowned God himself. What is dead may never die.

We did not have long to savour our plunder or mourn our losses. Whilst we had been a-reaving, Stannis Baratheon had been gathering his strength to reclaim all lands once owned by the Iron Throne. Striking first at the Young Wolf, he marched thirty thousand men through the Riverlands, capturing Edmure Tully en-route. Seeing the danger if the Stag could best the Wolf, I decide to aid Robb Stark by falling on Stannis unawares. Daenerys reminds me that we could press her own claim on Stannis's Throne, but I tell the girl she will get nothing further from me without a Greyjoy growing in her belly. We would fight Stannis, aye, but for gold, not a throne of melted swords.

I leave Victarion to hold Pyke, and The Iron Fleet shadows Stannis as he marches north, watching from the sea as his numbers are whittled away by cold and Crannogmen. Finally he meets Robb Stark in battle near the western shore of the Neck, and may perhaps have triumphed had we not stormed the beach behind him and rushed to aid the northmen. Stannis flees the field with one tenth of the army he took north, but I lead the pursuit and corner him in the Crannogs. His army is smashed and he barely escaped. It is a shame Baratheon soldiers die so easily, or I might have some sense of satisfaction now.

ck2_b1.png

It is after the battle that I see my son for the first time since the fall of King Joffrey. It takes me a moment to recognise him, for the boy has become a man, hardened by years of fighting the Young Wolf's enemies and his body maimed by Southron swords. I tell him of the dragon princess I have found for him, and press him to return with me and take her for his wife. He refuses me, against all belief. He has heard, he tells me, that Daenerys is barren and will not bear him an heir. I curse his foolishness and ask how many heirs he has sired hiding behind the Young Wolf's skirts. He laughs at me and we part on poor terms.

I return to Pyke, to gather fresh armies to battle Stannis, and there find my plans undone still further. My brother Victarion has long been brave and loyal, but never particularly smart. When he heard me tell Daenerys she would get no aid without a Greyjoy heir the lumbering oaf took it as an instruction, and wed the girl himself whilst I was chasing Stannis!

vd.png

Filled with wroth, I set to sea soon after, once again rounding Dorne to strike at heart of Stannis's power. My mood is improved somewhat when I learn that our victory in the north has resonated throughout Westeros. Dorne declared for Cersei's daughter Myrcella, seeking to sit her on the Throne, whilst in the Vale the young lord Harrold Hardyng took for himself the Falcon Crown, declaring his independence. Stannis now finds himself beset with foes on all sides. Nor can he seek for aid from the Reach as the Flowers have fallen to fighting amongst themselves.

Buoyed by this news, our ships once again carve their way up the Blackwater, and for the second time in a decade Kings Landing falls to my Ironborn as we sweep aside the city guard and what few men Stannis could gather. Stannis's wife and family are soon my prisoners, as fine a revenge for Fair Isle as one could want. Unlike my Cersei this Baratheon Queen is far too ugly to make a Salt Wife for even the blindest reaver, with a heavy moustache and a face like a blighted sea-cow. We give her to the Drowned God. As I watch her flabby arms go limp in the water I reflect that Stannis now has one reason at least to thank me for this day.

selyse.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
That looks like the Kingslayer leading Stannis' flank, and Brienne of Tarth the center. I think that might be part of why he failed...

That looks like the Kingslayer leading Stannis' flank, and Brienne of Tarth the center. I think that might be part of why he failed...

It is indeed Brienne, as I captured her in that battle and she's currently doing time in Pyke dungeons. I want my sapphires.

I didn't notice Jaime though. I think you're right and it is him. I know I ransomed Tommen to him a couple of months before that battle, so he's definitely still alive, but I'm a bit surprised he's still LC. Well spotted!

It is indeed Brienne, as I captured her in that battle and she's currently doing time in Pyke dungeons. I want my sapphires.

I didn't notice Jaime though. I think you're right and it is him. I know I ransomed Tommen to him a couple of months before that battle, so he's definitely still alive, but I'm a bit surprised he's still LC. Well spotted!

Robb must have ransomed him after the war. Stannis tends to execute him if he catches him.

What's likely is that Jaimie got restored to the Kingsguard later, as I've had him come up when I say "Bring me the greatest nights in the land," even as Dany. That'd be a bit of an awkward job interview.

Nice update! Hehe, go Victarion! Did you get an event that forced the two to marry, or did you plan it?

They got married seemingly on their own, much to my displeasure. They were both sitting around in my court, and got married when I wasn't paying attention. I wasn't aware courtiers could do that, so maybe it was a glitch, or an event that Balon doesn't get notifications for.

I'm starting to grow increasingly concerned about the succession, might have to give Theon any random woman to pop out a few Kraken spawn.

1) Play the Martells (or any other House), and invite her to court and declare war on whoever has the throne to install her. Win the war.
2) Switch to play as Dany

Yeah, typically I invite her to Sunspear, matrilinial marry her to Quentyn Martell, wait till the end of the civil war, form a faction for her, then quickly press the claim while Stannis or Joffrey or Tommen (whomever wound up on the Throne) is still weak. Then save, reload as Queen Danerys, and pray to the oldgods, new gods, drowned god and red god for a son.

Put her on the throne unmarried, and there's a chance "Aegon of Essos" shows up, marries her, and becomes a dragon rider himself. I think he also brings Blackfyre with him sometimes.

Don't stress about Victarion, he's old with crap for fertility. By the time Theon inherits he'll likely have kicked the bucket.

The Kraken and the Dragon seem to have united... This can't end well for the rest of Westeros.

Don't stress about Victarion, he's old with crap for fertility. By the time Theon inherits he'll likely have kicked the bucket.

True that. I'm kinda hoping Balon will die soon too, though I'll miss the cantankerous old sod.

The Kraken and the Dragon seem to have united... This can't end well for the rest of Westeros.

Kraken+Dragon= Cthulhu?