• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MattiasPDX

Head of Sales
Paradox Staff
Dec 14, 2022
Hello everyone,

We’re getting closer to year end, which also means that our annual regional price adjustments are approaching. As a reminder, this is the time when we adjust the prices of our games and DLCs for markets and currencies that have fluctuated off our pricing benchmarks.

This time, the price adjustment will come into effect on the 16th of January 2024. As always, we want to give you an early heads-up, so you know what price changes to expect, aren't caught unaware and have a chance to make informed purchases in the coming months.

This time, we’re adjusting prices for two distinct categories of our products. Our live games, which are actively supported and, so called “Legacy” titles, i.e. games that are no longer actively supported. Each category will have different levels of adjustment, which I’ll get into below.

Active titles:
As in the previous years, our active games will see price adjustments of varying degree, depending on the market and currency involved. There are a lot of titles and currencies, and that makes it difficult to list every single change in an easily readable way. Below we’ll try to list all affected currencies in broader terms, and if either of you would like to get a more detailed breakdown, for any specific currency, feel free to ask in the thread and we’ll try to answer.

This time around, we'll see an increase of about 40% to 70% on average or more to five currencies: THB, RUB, MYR, UAH, ZAR.

More moderate level of increases can be expected for SGD, PEN, VND, COP, QAR, IDR, KWD, PHP, SAR, UYU, JPY, KZT, CRC, CLP, INR, BRL, South Asia USD.

Smaller price increases will affect TWD, HKD, MXN, CNY, AED, KRW, CAD, CIS USD.

There are also currencies that will see no price changes: USD, EUR, GBP, NOK, PLN, CHF, ILS, AUD, NZD as well as MENA USD and LATAM USD.

Legacy titles:
Unlike our active games, the legacy portfolio didn’t see a price adjustment in the past few years. That means the prices of most of these games are much behind our pricing benchmark in some markets. To have them with our overall pricing, we need to adjust their prices significantly in many currencies.

The number of both games and currencies involved in this adjustment is very high, so we can’t effectively list each of them here, but below I’ll try to give you an idea of adjustments for a few base game legacy products that we believe might be of particular interest to all of you:

South Korean WonNorwegian KroneIndian Rupee
Age of Wonders: Planetfall10%60%150%
BATTLETECH10%60%150%
Victoria II5%60%80%

If you have any questions about the details of any game’s or currencies’ price increases, feel free to post in the thread below and we’ll try to answer.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This post is a great heads up to some gamers in select countries to pick up titles now, prior to the price increases. Good on Paradox for advertising these increases prior to their taking effect. :bow:

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Hi! Let me ask you, on what titles will be increase for RUB currency, I'm particularly interested in Vic3, how much increase is planned for it, but if you say something about other titles like HoI4, EU4, Stellaris and CK3, I would be appreciated for sure.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello Mattias, thanks for the heads up! Will these changes affect the games whose prices were recently adjusted (like Cities: Skylines 2, The Lamplighters League and yeah, probably Victoria 3 which had already changed the price recently, if I'm not mistaken)? And will The Lamplighters League be considered as Legacy title?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi! Let me ask you, on what titles will be increase for RUB currency, I'm particularly interested in Vic3, how much increase is planned for it, but if you say something about other titles like HoI4, EU4, Stellaris and CK3, I would be appreciated for sure.
On average, active base games will see an increase of about 70 % in RUB. However, Victoria 3 released more recently and already has a higher price in RUB, so it will increase about 10 %.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Hello Mattias, thanks for the heads up! Will these changes affect the games whose prices were recently adjusted (like Cities: Skylines 2, The Lamplighters League and yeah, probably Victoria 3 which had already changed the price recently, if I'm not mistaken)? And will The Lamplighters League be considered as Legacy title?
Hi there,

Since the Lamplighters League and Cities Skylines II have had their prices adjusted recently, they're in line with our benchmarks in most markets. The only currency off our pricing benchmark for these titles right now is the RUB, which will see an increase of about 20 % for both these games.

Victoria 3 released more recently, shortly before our last regional price increase, and has a more up-to-date price than some other titles. However due to market shifts in the past year, its price will be increased in a few currencies that are off our current benchmarks. If you're interested in a specific currency in regards to that game, let us know which and we can come back to you with a more detailed answer.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You know what? You have already raised prices literally this year for my region, and now your games here cost under $ 45, which is an extremely high AAA price for my market, about a quarter of the local average salary, and you announce that you will raise prices again, only "more moderately". And now, you're just losing me as a customer. Well, I was happy to play your products, but now I'm probably going to spend my money on all sorts of distant worlds or civilization. I was glad to be a part of paradox, but now, unfortunately, our paths are diverging. Thank you for the great products and emotions that they gave and goodbye

• 5Like
Reactions:
This is too much. I didn't mind the last increase too much because I saw a better bundling system, where DLCs are sold in yearly packages (chapters for CK3 and Deluxe for V3) and where unit packs, music and content DLCs got combined into larger expansions at a smaller price altogether, but man, this is getting out of hand. I guess this winter sale will be the last one for me

• 4Like
Reactions:
Smaller price increases will affect CIS USD.
no price changes: USD, MENA USD and LATAM USD

This makes no sense! What the hell!
Why is the price going up for the CIS region? We pay in US dollars, and the US dollar is not subject to inflation (at least you do not change the price for the USD region and MENA or LATAM).
So what is the reason? Do you think we are getting richer in Georgia every year or what? The CIS region is a poor region, and yet we pay almost double more than Russians who are swimming in oil money.

Please reconsider this choice. 29.99 USD for a base game is already high for our region. It used to be 22.99 USD and now you want to increase even more in less than a year?

• 3Like
Reactions:
On average, active base games will see an increase of about 70 % in RUB. However, Victoria 3 released more recently and already has a higher price in RUB, so it will increase about 10 %.
That's just spitting at the fans. You raise prices but offer nothing in return to your fans. Take the same Russia, you raise the price by 70%. Exactly a year ago you already raised it by about 60%. People don't have incomes rising so much that they can afford to pay more. Other than "milking" loyal fans I can't explain these price adjustments. Pay more - but don't expect anything.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The word greed doesn't even begin to describe your marketing strategy, Paradox. The current prices are equal to the new regional ones set by Valve a year ago and it's freaking expensive already and you want even MORE. DLC to some of your games cost like middle-budget AA games.

If it's a hole in the budget left by Lamplighters League you want to cover, then maybe you should start hire better people to make better decisions, instead of putting the burden of your mistakes on the shoulders of Steam players. $30 millions on an indie game with 0 marketing. What a joke. Why you didn't ask Harebrained to make a World of Darkness game instead is beyond me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This makes no sense! What the hell!
Why is the price going up for the CIS region? We pay in US dollars, and the US dollar is not subject to inflation (at least you do not change the price for the USD region and MENA or LATAM).
So what is the reason? Do you think we are getting richer in Georgia every year or what? The CIS region is a poor region, and yet we pay almost double more than Russians who are swimming in oil money.

Please reconsider this choice. 29.99 USD for a base game is already high for our region. It used to be 22.99 USD and now you want to increase even more in less than a year?
I agree that the prices for CIS are inadequate but don't you have the option to buy license keys in Russian stores that activate in CIS area?
The majority of the population has never seen and will never see any oil money

• 3Like
Reactions:
So that you understand, dear paradoxes, my salary in the Moscow region is $215. We have a poor [...] country and [...]

/mod-edit: Removed some problematic bits

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I remember there is another company with a monopoly in a genre called Creative Assembly, who wanted to cover their 100 mil failure called Hyenas by rising price for the subpar DLC and selling a DLC for a 40$ game as a standalone for 70$. Didn't go well for them. But your choices are your choices.

So that you understand, dear paradoxes, my salary in the Moscow region is $215.
If your salary in Moscow region is 215$, you should have more pressing issues than worrying about PDX games prices. Or any games, before actually finding a job...

• 6Like
Reactions:
I remember there is another company with a monopoly in a genre called Creative Assembly, who wanted to cover their 100 mil failure called Hyenas by rising price for the subpar DLC and selling a DLC for a 40$ game as a standalone for 70$. Didn't go well for them. But your choices are your choices.

If your salary in Moscow region is 215$, you should have more pressing issues than worrying about PDX games prices. Or any games, before actually finding a job...
In a way, there really is a monopolization, because no one is able to provide the same financial support and development in the strategy genre as they do. The publisher understands this and takes advantage of it. Sega is a very greedy publisher (probably one of the greediest). As an example, Nintendo, a monopolist in the genre of games for families and portability, takes advantage of this to sell games at exorbitant prices. Paradoxes also achieved market dominance in the strategy genre and service support for their games for decades. You can understand why they increase the cost: there are many factors and desires, but I still condemn this. Especially the price increase for Victoria 2, a game ten years ago (EU IV can also be included here).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now supporting the game is becoming harder on our wallets (in terms of patches and additions for them, since we understand that their games at the beginning of their life cycle do not shine with content and variability of mechanics). And the publisher is still in Europe and speaks in financial reports about its income growth(correct me if I'm wrong).

• 2Like
Reactions:
In a way, there really is a monopolization, because no one is able to provide the same financial support and development in the strategy genre as they do.
Sure. It is, but it's exactly because they provided... If they stop to, or quality actually hit rock bottom, other may think about investing. I, personally, would play a game like this, but with worse graphics, but actually deeper gameplay, both in combat and on strategic map. And since current TW game "depth" is as of a puddle, it isn't an impossible task, IMO.

Sega is a very greedy publisher (probably one of the greediest).
Maybe Sega is greedy, but it's a publisher for a lot of studios, yet it's Total War series failing that hard. They hate it specifically, or something? Also, Sega was willing to provide 100 mils for such suspicious project as Hyenas?
As an example, Nintendo, a monopolist in the genre of games for families and portability, takes advantage of this to sell games at exorbitant prices.
I really don't want to talk about Nintendo. But thanks to Gaben, yet again, and Steam Deck, maybe they will finally take a hint.
You can understand why they increase the cost: there are many factors and desires, but I still condemn this.
If the increase in price will be followed by increase in quality, i would be the first person who will throw my hard-earned cash at them. But we both know it won't happen. And putting quality aside, the gameplay itself is actually lacking in last like 5(?) years with very questionable decisions and barebone gameplay mechanics.

• 3Like
Reactions: