• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aardvark Bellay

Lord Wuffington of Grumpytown by the barks
21 Badges
Apr 5, 2001
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
As i actually need to buy a new comp (don't ask ;) ) i wonder if i'm better off with a card with 256 bit bus width or if 128 will be enough ?
I'm asking, as the recs for the game mention the Geforce 8800 which has 128 and the ATI X1900 which has 256. Does it matter ?

I consider buying either a Geforce 550 Ti (192bit), a Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 (128 bit) or a 6850 (256 bit).

As i buy a new one i'd like to get one which enables me to play CK2 flawless till the end.
The price is just about 30 euro difference, but it matters to me poor chap.

Cheers,
Nik

Edit: Any comments welcome, but i hope one of the holy band of Paradox may suggest something ? Pretty please ? :)

Last edited:
The FSB bit-count does not matter much as it is for internal chip functionality, it is the total performance of the respective card that matters. The 550 Ti and the 6770(re-branded 5770) is about the same in performance, the 6850 is more powerful and at a good price. If you are on a tight budget it might be worth a try to get a better second hand card like the Nvidia 560 or an AMD 6850/70 or higher, maybe there is a bargain to be had.

The FSB bit-count does not matter much...it is the total performance.
Thanks, i'm not very aware of the technical part of graphic cards. Pretty much a noob.
Though do you know what technical part/detail might help in playing CK2 ?

I'll probably go for the Sapphire Radeon 6850:
http://geizhals.at/de/582182

Have to buy a new netbook as well and sadly i cant tax the peasants into space. My gold chamber will be empty.
Hopefully no bad surprising events will happen after my shopping spree.

Edit1: Another question arises, will a i3 2120/2100 3x3 be fine along an Asus or Asrock Z68 Mainboard ?

Same prob here, would love an 2500k, but too expensive, as i have to buy a whole new system and limited cash.

Last edited:
Thanks, i'm not very aware of the technical part of graphic cards. Pretty much a noob.
Though do you know what technical part/detail might help in playing CK2 ?

I'll probably go for the Sapphire Radeon 6850:
http://geizhals.at/de/582182

Have to buy a new netbook as well and sadly i cant tax the peasants into space. My gold chamber will be empty.
Hopefully no bad surprising events will happen after my shopping spree.

Edit1: Another question arises, will a i3 2120/2100 3x3 be fine along an Asus or Asrock Z68 Mainboard ?

Same prob here, would love an 2500k, but too expensive, as i have to buy a whole new system and limited cash.

Me, i'd wait and save for a few months. It's what I did. Yeah, it sucked using my busted old pc those months, but now I've built something that will last me five years, easy. maybe more, since it's upgradeable. Better to spend a bit more in a few months, than have to start over again in a couple years.

Yeah, i would really like to, as i guess everything (esp. ssd harddisks) will be much cheaper in about 3 months, but you dont understand the outrageous situation i'm currently in now, i can't play CK2.......see......i'm literally dying....need comp..need to play...aaarrrghhh...all i have now is an old AMD 2700. No good.
Sigh, thanks for your advise though.

CK2 will not only ruin whats left of my social life, but also empty my wallet.
I will hopefully order my comp parts tomorrow, unless i become a schizophrenic, paranoid drunkard chaplain with claims on Stockholm and Seattle.... ;)

Btw, thats why i'll get a Z68 mainboard as its upgradeable and so i will turn to an 2500k or such in a year or so.
Hmmm, feels like i'm turning green with envy, trait achieved.

Last edited:
Yeah, i would really like to, as i guess everything (esp. ssd harddisks) will be much cheaper in about 3 months, but you dont understand the outrageous situation i'm currently in now, i can't play CK2.......see......i'm literally dying....need comp..need to play...aaarrrghhh...all i have now is an old AMD 2700. No good.
Sigh, thanks for your advise though.

CK2 will not only ruin whats left of my social life, but also empty my wallet.
I will hopefully order my comp parts tomorrow, unless i become a schizophrenic, paranoid drunkard chaplain with claims on Stockholm and Seattle.... ;)

Btw, thats why i'll get a Z68 mainboard as its upgradeable and so i will turn to an 2500k or such in a year or so.

Hmmm, feels like i'm turning green with envy, trait achieved.

Get the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 z68. Emminently upgradeable, inexpensive, great graphical BIOS (perfect for overclocking your 2500K, mines at a stable 4.8 atm, though that did take the CM Hyper212 aftermarket cpu cooler to achieve, but it's only 30 bucks).

I love it.