• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr. Capiatlist

Mademoiselle Gothique (she/her/hers)
88 Badges
Dec 4, 2003
nhkendall.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
ALPHA a.1!

That's right, the July 2010 alpha is being released here and now!

Instructions:
Download the .rar file
Put .rar file into a fresh, second copy of DV 2.1
Right click and choose "extract here"
Confirm anything that pops up always choosing to merge folders and copy any older files

What it contains:
- New map!
- New localizations for races/cultures
- Twit fest! Whole map is covered in single prov counties

What to expect for the next alpha:
- Creatable Kingdoms
- Province variables to be done (wealth/buildings)
- Some countries and families as they will be in full release
- More graphical changes
- Changes to traits and some early events

What not to expect for the next alpha:
- A beta release
- Starting scenario to be finished
- In depth families with deep connections and more histories
- In-depth work on events, especially concerning new traits and province effects
- A completely stable release

Remember to check in with any inconsistencies you find in the game, or anything that could be an error, such as (but not limited to) Province name and map name not matching up.

Realms of the Brave is a total conversion mod based on CK and fantasy settings ranging from Tolkien to D&D. It was begun as a personal idea with some input from Vesimir and Issac Wolfe. We started work toward the end of October of last year and within a month it had fallen out of our minds. Plagued with map issues I stopped work and the mod faded off. But just recently I suddenly had the urge to finish the map, and finish it I did. I got the map up and running and I am now working on adding names, editing the positions and eventually bringing to life my plans for the mod.

The Idea:
What is an epic fantasy without background? Realms of the Brave is set in a (currently) unnamed part of an unnamed world. Geographically RotB is supposed to be taking part in a rather small percentage of the world, akin to something the size of Europe. It is inhabited by several races: Men, Dwarves, Elves, and White Orcs. Each race represents a different flaw or sin: Men are lustful and are quickly using up all the resources as their kind flurishes. Dwarves are covetous, hiding loot and treasure deep underground. The Elves are vain, their narcissism has led them to trust no one. White Orcs suffer from stupidity, their mindlessly fight each other as much as anyone else. Each race wants domination, but who are what they are willing to work alongside depends on each individual. As I begin to actually program characters and nations a clearer history will arise.

The Plan:
  • Races modeled through religion, instead of catholic it will be "Elvish" etc
  • Orcs using dark cultures, made to look green. Dwarves/Men/Elves use white cultures
  • New "Mongol" horde to deal with
  • Large region of independent tribes to conquer
  • Colonial feel with orc provinces having tribes to deal with
  • Monsters and Dragons will roam provinces
  • Vampires will be playable
  • All religions playable through pre-existing mods (Credit to where credit is due)
  • New education system. More later.

Progress:
==Map==
ID Map: =====| 100%
Grey Map: =====| 100%
Terrain Map: =====| 100%
Border Map: =====| 100%
Positions: =====| 100%

==Scenario==
Characters: |===== 0%
Countries: |===== 0% Work: Idea phase
Titles: |===== 0% Work: Idea phase
Relationships: |===== 0%
Dynasties: |===== 0%

==In Game==
Province effects: Working - Ideas
Province characteristics: Working - Terrain
Traits: Working - Ideas
Cultures: Working - Ideas
Names: Not Started
New Education System: Working - Ideas
Events: Not Started

==GFX==
Load screen: Done
Front end: Done
Scenario screen: Not Started
Province Effects: Done
Shields |===== 2% Work: Kingdoms
Orcs: Not Started

Forums

If you want to help with anything, report there or here. You can ask questions and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Currently there is no scheduled release time. I will (hopefully) offer a "sub-alpha" version in May. The sub-alpha should have province names, positions and the maps all ready. Other than that it will contain no new events, effects, traits or anything and the world will be coated with "Twits". Currently every province has the same religion/culture/terrain/techs everything. And each province is ruled by one of 786 twits. That's their name "Twit" and they are all related. Basically they are place holders. But It could be fun. See how far you can go with your Twit.

Some screen shots of my current work:

Loading:
load_1024.jpg

Front End:
bg_start.jpg

The Isle of Laegrim:
ScreenSave03.jpg

Southern Isles:
ScreenSave13.jpg

Steppes:
ScreenSave12.jpg

Forest:
ScreenSave0.jpg

Tundra:
ScreenSave02.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! You really did a lot of great work here! I'm very impressed and hope you stick to your goals even with the difficulties of modding with CK and its weirdness. Good luck!

Wow! You really did a lot of great work here! I'm very impressed and hope you stick to your goals even with the difficulties of modding with CK and its weirdness. Good luck!

Thank you. Eventually you'll probably see a lot of "How do I do A in an event?" threads from me.

To gain some viewer interaction (maybe) I will take requests for province names. Also give a little label of what race the province should belong to. The choices here are Elves, Men, Dwarves and Orcs. Have fun, nothing naughty (I will usually figure it out). There is a chance I've already used a certain word (especially if you just pick up an Elven dictionary from Tolkien) so I might not double it. And even if you don't help with this it will get done eventually.

I am hoping that once I get into the alpha phase I will start DD's if there is enough interest. And to help gain some of that image you can check out a preview of the map here.

I logged in just to say, god bless you for creating my dream mod:eek: for CK, i can't wait to be able to play this!:)
Thank you!

If you wouldn't mind, could you post some of the features of your dream game? I cannot guarantee they will make it into the end result but I'll try.

EDIT:
Here are some new screenies from this weekend's work:

More province locations have been finished:
ScreenSave04.jpg

More province names have been put into the map:
ScreenSave14.jpg

Also, this is an idea I've been knocking around (please say if it is ugly); Sea labels:
ScreenSave05.jpg

Last edited:
Also, this is an idea I've been knocking around (please say if it is ugly); Sea labels:
ScreenSave05.jpg

Nah i think its a pretty good idea you had about those descriptions, that way one can imagine the background story a province has, and ad to immersion :)

If you wouldn't mind, could you post some of the features of your dream game? I cannot guarantee they will make it into the end result but I'll try.

Well it would be cool if heavy infantry (because its the stongest unit in the game) would be renamed to Dragon knights, it would just be too cool to imagine Knights on the back of dragons flyng over your army as you wage war, and rename the others to have a more fantasy scenario flavor!

Second you said that there are going to be orcs so i immagine there will be a hell lot of wars between them and the rest of the races, so first thing they shouldn't be able to get marryed or procreate with other species than their own, and the most important thing i would really love in this kind of game is an event that fires whenever a province that has been sieged and cedded trough a peace agreement from a Human or Elf ecc. to an Orc immediately changed to Orc culture and religion since they would practically exterminate all the population in the province, same if an Orc cedded a province to a Human, Elf ecc.
Something like this: My lord we received news of a massacre in one of our former provinces done by the hands of the Orcish beasts, there where few survivors ho made it back into our lands.
If these things could be in the mod than it would be my favourite mod ever!:eek:o

P.S everything else looks just super great to me!

Nah i think its a pretty good idea you had about those descriptions, that way one can imagine the background story a province has, and ad to immersion :)
I am still uncertain about the way they look (to me) as they get rid of the clean feeling of the seas. I have them as a separate folder in a massive .psd file that is the "Liner" map. So I can turn them on and off at will. I might offer two maps, one with the sea labels and one without.

Well it would be cool if heavy infantry (because its the stongest unit in the game) would be renamed to Dragon knights, it would just be too cool to imagine Knights on the back of dragons flyng over your army as you wage war, and rename the others to have a more fantasy scenario flavor!
Troop names will probably remain the same for one major reason: they are generic. They can mean anything the player wants. While you might see the Knights as riding dragons and troops shielded with scales, another play might picture it completely differently. I will say that Dragons are a province modifier and depending on how you treat them they might give you bonus troops (ie, dragon riders). Just in case you like the Pern series. ;)

Second you said that there are going to be orcs so i immagine there will be a hell lot of wars between them and the rest of the races, so first thing they shouldn't be able to get marryed or procreate with other species than their own, and the most important thing i would really love in this kind of game is an event that fires whenever a province that has been sieged and cedded trough a peace agreement from a Human or Elf ecc. to an Orc immediately changed to Orc culture and religion since they would practically exterminate all the population in the province, same if an Orc cedded a province to a Human, Elf ecc.
Something like this: My lord we received news of a massacre in one of our former provinces done by the hands of the Orcish beasts, there where few survivors ho made it back into our lands.
Actually you have hit the nail on the head here. The idea has multiple levels and works both ways. I cannot keep them from marrying, but half-breed traits will probably be included for at least a few permutations or I might work out a way that racial traits can be stacked for the same effect as giving them half-breed traits.

Orcs and provs have a two-way street. Provinces controlled by orcs will quickly become Orcish. They will also quickly become the chief's culture. If a chief control a province long enough he can try to centralize it. If he is successful the tribe becomes "Divided". If he is not successful the province will probably revolt, and he might die. The likeliness of him dying decreases with a higher martial score. Once a province is "Divided" he can once again try to unite his tribe. If successful the province will become "United".

But what good does it do? Well if a non-orc or different cultured orc tries to take a Unified province it will fight against him. Occupiers will have to work backwards, attempting to dissolve the tribes in order to convert the province and eventually gain access to the resources it might provide. Special resources exist only on the southern landmass, so that is the reason a play would want to fight for it.

If these things could be in the mod than it would be my favourite mod ever!:eek:o

P.S everything else looks just super great to me!
I hope I can live up to your standards. I am glad you are posting what you think here. I know people are reading and probably have little to say, but I do take the views seriously and I hope in time others will show the same enthusiasm.

I am still uncertain about the way they look (to me) as they get rid of the clean feeling of the seas. I have them as a separate folder in a massive .psd file that is the "Liner" map. So I can turn them on and off at will. I might offer two maps, one with the sea labels and one without.

Personally i find it better just like in your screensaver, but that is just my opinion!

Troop names will probably remain the same for one major reason: they are generic. They can mean anything the player wants. While you might see the Knights as riding dragons and troops shielded with scales, another play might picture it completely differently. I will say that Dragons are a province modifier and depending on how you treat them they might give you bonus troops (ie, dragon riders). Just in case you like the Pern series. ;)
Oh yeah i like that idea!

Actually you have hit the nail on the head here. The idea has multiple levels and works both ways. I cannot keep them from marrying, but half-breed traits will probably be included for at least a few permutations or I might work out a way that racial traits can be stacked for the same effect as giving them half-breed traits
Hmm maybe you could make muslim (Orcish religion) non spreading, i mean can only convert Orcs that way they wouldnt marry any other kind!

Orcs and provs have a two-way street. Provinces controlled by orcs will quickly become Orcish. They will also quickly become the chief's culture. If a chief control a province long enough he can try to centralize it. If he is successful the tribe becomes "Divided". If he is not successful the province will probably revolt, and he might die. The likeliness of him dying decreases with a higher martial score. Once a province is "Divided" he can once again try to unite his tribe. If successful the province will become "United".

But what good does it do? Well if a non-orc or different cultured orc tries to take a Unified province it will fight against him. Occupiers will have to work backwards, attempting to dissolve the tribes in order to convert the province and eventually gain access to the resources it might provide. Special resources exist only on the southern landmass, so that is the reason a play would want to fight for it.
Ok i follow you there, that's pretty ingenuous if i may say it! Like the idea "Claps" :)!

I hope I can live up to your standards. I am glad you are posting what you think here. I know people are reading and probably have little to say, but I do take the views seriously and I hope in time others will show the same enthusiasm.
Dont worry you are already my hero by doing your best to make this awsome mod come true!

Personally i find it better just like in your screensaver, but that is just my opinion!
Land masses will not be labeled in that way because the province names and lines will get in the way.

Hmm maybe you could make muslim (Orcish religion) non spreading, i mean can only convert Orcs that way they wouldnt marry any other kind!
In theory that is what would happen; if an orc's province was quickly converted to its religion and culture after seizing it it wouldn't come into contact with non-orcs. No religion spreads without events. Control the events and you control the univers... er... I mean... game.

Between this post and my last I sort of went on a binge of modding. I finished the Western Landmass and did the entire Eastern one as well!

ScreenSave22.jpg

ScreenSave15.jpg

ScreenSave06.jpg

If you see any in those region without a shield, tell me.

I will only use 7 words :cool:, you my friend is awesomeness in person:D! also sorry for the late post :eek:o

P.S i am currently trying to make the Orc graphics, dont know if you'll like it but as soon as i finish il post a screensaver so you can choose if you want to use it or not :)

Orc graphics will be appreciated in any form. Thank you very much.

Edit: Actually I am going to use your mouse icon too. Crosses are a bit out of place.

Last edited:
Good stuff, I like the concept. And the screenshots you have posted so far look good.

Good luck with changing all the heraldry (shields) as well, cos AFAIK you will need one for every province! :eek:

One concept that may prove interesting would be the difficulties of Elves ruling Dwarven enclaves and all the other permutations. Could you really imagine Elves going into the Dwarven mines? Or Dwarves climbing into the tree cities of the Elves? Making some assumptions there I know, but if you modeled something like that it might be cool. You could use tags like looted to simulate this maybe.

For instance, let's say the Elves capture a Dwarven city. The culture and religion are Dwarven, showing that there are a lot of Dwarves being forced to work in the mines. But, they're being forced to work there, so productivity suffers, there's increased revolt risk and so on.

Eventually as the Dwarves are either assimilated or removed from the province, the culture and religion change and the penalties are removed. Possibly leaving some related penalties (Elves are never going to be as good in mountains/mines as Dwarves) or not as the case may be.

Actually, one thought that just struck me...

Why not replace the Nobles/Clergy/Burghers/Peasants with the four races? This could then represent the percentages of each race in each province. Mixed in with the culture and religion, this could lead to many events. So a province with 25% of each race could be ruled by pretty much anyone with a low chance of revolt. But a province with say 90% of one race would be likely to revolt against any other race ruling them.

And then certain races give certain bonuses to certain terrain types as well. Elves and Dwarves are obvious there. Humans - maybe a bonus to coastal provinces or plains? And Orcs - not sure there, maybe swamps, deserts, maybe no bonuses or penalties at all.

Or simply something like:
Forests - Elves 150%; Humans 100%; Orcs 80%; Dwarves 60%
Mountains/Hills - Dwarves 150%; Orcs 120%; Humans 90%, Elves 60%

Or whatever percentages you think are fair and balanced. Pretty sure that could be achieved through province modifiers. Obviously you'd than have to balance out the different terrain types across all provinces because they'd become quite important.

It would also introduce concepts like whether you leave Dwarven percentage of population (and maybe culture and religion) in a mountain province to increase productivity at the expense of a higher revolt risk (or other events); or do you force convert the population, knowing that the province will never be as productive converted to your own population.

Good stuff, I like the concept. And the screenshots you have posted so far look good.

Good luck with changing all the heraldry (shields) as well, cos AFAIK you will need one for every province! :eek:

One concept that may prove interesting would be the difficulties of Elves ruling Dwarven enclaves and all the other permutations. Could you really imagine Elves going into the Dwarven mines? Or Dwarves climbing into the tree cities of the Elves? Making some assumptions there I know, but if you modeled something like that it might be cool. You could use tags like looted to simulate this maybe.

For instance, let's say the Elves capture a Dwarven city. The culture and religion are Dwarven, showing that there are a lot of Dwarves being forced to work in the mines. But, they're being forced to work there, so productivity suffers, there's increased revolt risk and so on.

Eventually as the Dwarves are either assimilated or removed from the province, the culture and religion change and the penalties are removed. Possibly leaving some related penalties (Elves are never going to be as good in mountains/mines as Dwarves) or not as the case may be.

Actually, one thought that just struck me...

Why not replace the Nobles/Clergy/Burghers/Peasants with the four races? This could then represent the percentages of each race in each province. Mixed in with the culture and religion, this could lead to many events. So a province with 25% of each race could be ruled by pretty much anyone with a low chance of revolt. But a province with say 90% of one race would be likely to revolt against any other race ruling them.

And then certain races give certain bonuses to certain terrain types as well. Elves and Dwarves are obvious there. Humans - maybe a bonus to coastal provinces or plains? And Orcs - not sure there, maybe swamps, deserts, maybe no bonuses or penalties at all.

Or simply something like:
Forests - Elves 150%; Humans 100%; Orcs 80%; Dwarves 60%
Mountains/Hills - Dwarves 150%; Orcs 120%; Humans 90%, Elves 60%

Or whatever percentages you think are fair and balanced. Pretty sure that could be achieved through province modifiers. Obviously you'd than have to balance out the different terrain types across all provinces because they'd become quite important.

It would also introduce concepts like whether you leave Dwarven percentage of population (and maybe culture and religion) in a mountain province to increase productivity at the expense of a higher revolt risk (or other events); or do you force convert the population, knowing that the province will never be as productive converted to your own population.

I like those ideas, I think they can work. The problem with the nobles/peasants representing race is that the player and the AI can change them, which leaves a big gap for mis-use. Otherwise I would agree completely.

Now that it has been brought up, this is how race and culture play:

Religion is race, and Culture is either locale or tribe. For orcs it represents a tribe. Orcs of different tribes hate each other. For everyone else it represents Locale and can be hard to change (which the exception of where the orcs live). What I mean is that you'll have Ice Elf, Ice Man, Ice Dwarf; Laegrim Elf, Laegrim Man, Laegrim Dwarf. This represents a natural integration between the races.

I am also a staunch believer that while Tolkien made a fantastic series and arguably the most fleshed out mythos since the early religions; I don't like that people use his ideas as fact. Elves were not always tree huggers. Here the Tolkien-esque elves live mostly on Laegrim, the massive island off the coast of the western landmass. They love the trees and all that. But there are other kinds of elves. I work more off the D&D world than the Tolkien one.

There will be some racial benefits, and also some from education, but I am still working out ways to balance everything.

I am also a staunch believer that while Tolkien made a fantastic series and arguably the most fleshed out mythos since the early religions; I don't like that people use his ideas as fact.

Tree hugger Elves is not actually from Tolkien. His mythos also has the Ñoldor, stone-delving Elves, the mountain-dwelling Vanyar, and the Teleri, sea-faring Elves. The Ñoldor were also great hunters (not exactly animal friends!).
Also note that even the stereotypical Sindar lived in caves (Menegroth and also the halls of the Elven King from The Hobbit), not tree huts. The only example of tree dwelling Elves is Lothlórien.

The Elf-Dwarf hatred is also taken vastly out of proportion: in fact the Ñoldor and Dwarves were friends for a long time, like between the Ñoldorin Eregion and Durin's Khazad-dûm.

It was AD&D and the countless Tolkien wannabes that propagated the now stereotypical Elves-are-elitist-hippies and Dwarves-hate-Elves patterns.</derial>

Yeah, I was working in stereotypes there, no apologies for that cos I thought it could be turned into a very useful game mechanic.

Must admit that I hadn't thought about the ability to change power rankings if they were converted to races. Is it possible to script what happens when you click a +/- button, or is it all hardcoded?

Any plans for magic and wizards?

When I was considering a fantasy mod, I though about using the Diocese Bishop slot in court for a "Court Mage", and maybe turning stability into some sort of Mana which could be used to cast spells.

This is basically my plan for elves.

Yeah, I was working in stereotypes there, no apologies for that cos I thought it could be turned into a very useful game mechanic.

Must admit that I hadn't thought about the ability to change power rankings if they were converted to races. Is it possible to script what happens when you click a +/- button, or is it all hardcoded?
Hardcoded. CK is probably the hardest game to mod. But we shall weather through it.

Any plans for magic and wizards?

When I was considering a fantasy mod, I though about using the Diocese Bishop slot in court for a "Court Mage", and maybe turning stability into some sort of Mana which could be used to cast spells.
Yes, magic education replaces the priest education. It will only be offered to a few random people. So when your child is very young there is a random chance that he/she is offered the right to become a wizard. mince Diocese Bishop will be made into either court scholar or court mage, not sure.

As with all educations, wizard is going to get an overhaul, but I am not going to work on events until the map is 100% finished. So start coming up with names everyone. ;)