Really bright textures and missing borders [Linux]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stellaris's minimum requirements include Radeon HD 5770 with closed drivers - which provides OpenGL 4.4.

Open drivers for this card (and all cards supported by r600 driver, excluding CYPRESS, CAYMAN and ARUBA) provide only OpenGL 3.3, therefore they don't really meet Stellaris's hardware requirements.

You should open a bug report (cf. previous comments) with details about your hardware and which versions of Mesa (the kernel as well, maybe) you are using. Getting an APItrace would be quite handy as well.

Hi, i visited the side, but lost on the page without finding a bugreportbutton for wesa. I decided to go for an nvidia card instead.

Stellaris's minimum requirements include Radeon HD 5770 with closed drivers - which provides OpenGL 4.4.

Open drivers for this card (and all cards supported by r600 driver, excluding CYPRESS, CAYMAN and ARUBA) provide only OpenGL 3.3, therefore they don't really meet Stellaris's hardware requirements.
The fact that the minimum requirement is a card which supports OpenGL 4.4, does not mean that OpenGL 4.4 is required in itself. It would be more due to compute power IMHO. If it really needed OpenGL 4.4, it should just refuse to run on my integrated which only supports 3.3.

All Radeon HD 5000+ reach OpenGL 4.1, and all GCN should be at OpenGL 4.5 (though only 4.3 is advertised), with Mesa 13 (which was released on 1 November).

The fact that the minimum requirement is a card which supports OpenGL 4.4, does not mean that OpenGL 4.4 is required in itself. It would be more due to compute power IMHO. If it really needed OpenGL 4.4, it should just refuse to run on my integrated which only supports 3.3.

All Radeon HD 5000+ reach OpenGL 4.1, and all GCN should be at OpenGL 4.5 (though only 4.3 is advertised), with Mesa 13 (which was released on 1 November).
Technically the system requirements don't say anything about the needed OpenGL version, that's right.

With the proprietary drivers the do (or at least did). With the free/libre drivers that seems not to be the case with a lot of these cards (source).

What graphics card do you use? Are you able to see the borders?

I can see the empires and sectors borders when using my GK107 (NVIDIA GeForce 750M) with Mesa 13.0.0, but only the sectors borders when using the Intel Iris Pro 5200 (same version of Mesa).

I played a bit with MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE and MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE, and the game runs fine (on the NVIDIA card; I haven’t tested with the Intel one) for OpenGL 2.1 and 3.0. For OpenGL 2.0, rather than the loader I get a black rectangle, and for OpenGL > 3.0 the game exits before even displaying the launcher (forcing to 3.1 or above will result in the creation of a core profile). This small experiment is definitely not a proof, but could it be that Stellaris is using OpenGL 2.1 (+ some extensions most likely)?

EDIT: I hadn't seen this interview (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...velopment-studios-about-supporting-linux.7461), so it looks like it is OpenGL ~2.1:

Clausewitz has as it is right now, an unlimited opportunity for graphical backends. Right now as primary we require DX9 or OGL2.1:isch when it comes to gfx, but what is more important for PDS games is a fast cpu and as much ram as is tolerated.​

Last edited:
Reactions:
Interesting, therefore it hasn't to do with the OpenGL version that my AMD Radeon 6870 can't show the borders (with the free/libre drivers).

It seems that there's something that the r600g driver is lacking (compared to the radeonsi driver) that causes this.

Anyway, thanks for this valuable information. Cool that you work on Nouveau by the way!

edit: I upgraded to a R9 270x and now everything works (at least with the newest free/libre drivers; I didn't test it with the Ubuntu 16.04's stock drivers.)

Last edited:
It might be worth retesting with a recent version of Mesa (at least 12.x, but 13.0.x would be better): there were some reports (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=95530) that Mesa 12.0 fixed the issue for some Haswell owners, as well as with a card supported by the radeon driver.
(Even though I could reproduce the issue in my previous comment, and I can no longer reproduce it, even when testing all the different versions of Stellaris in Steam, and rolling back to the previous version of Mesa. This is weird!)